We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Seedlist Bjørnar Olsen  (Read 18636 times)

Menai

Re: Seedlist Bjørnar Olsen
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2015, 11:02:00 PM »
I still have 4 plants of G. pylzowianum growing - a lot more germinated but I lost them from irregular watering. Also 1 only Lilium lophophorum
I'm a sucker for Geraniaciae so would be sorry if you scrapped them.
Looking forward to next list

Erle
Anglesey
Erle - seed sower & re-inventor of wheels
Anglesey, North Wales
Temp max 26°C min -6°C rainfall 120cm

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2015, 11:40:23 AM »
Nothing ate my seeds. I'll not be buying from them again

That will leave more for those of us who think the seeds are excellent!
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

GordonT

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2015, 12:09:53 PM »
I didn't buy Geranium seeds, but bought Arisaema pianmaense, Arisaema sp. Dulong, Podophyllum hexandrum sichuan Kanding Mugeco Lake. None of the Arisaema seeds germinated, but the Podophyllum had close to 100% germination, and the seedlings are now out in the garden, ready to go through their first Canadian winter.

Has anyone had better results with Arisaema seed from trillium.no?
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2015, 06:28:44 PM »
Nothing ate my seeds. I'll not be buying from them again

When collecting seeds in the wild is not that easy to assess the maturity of fruits/seeds. Plus, that from exactly the same batch of seeds, some could germinate and some not. Few seeds can carry abnormal embryos or enter a deep dormancy, while others not…
These are all factors out of the collector’s hands. 

I couldn’t abstain to intervene, because I find this ‘finger pointing’ unexpected (on this forum of knowledgeable people) and also quite discouraging.
The effort and passion involved in wild collecting seeds goes beyond any financial rewards, even in the best of cases.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Gabriela

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2015, 06:32:06 PM »
I didn't buy Geranium seeds, but bought Arisaema pianmaense, Arisaema sp. Dulong, Podophyllum hexandrum sichuan Kanding Mugeco Lake. None of the Arisaema seeds germinated, but the Podophyllum had close to 100% germination, and the seedlings are now out in the garden, ready to go through their first Canadian winter.

Has anyone had better results with Arisaema seed from trillium.no?

A few Arisaema sp. have germination only with protocorm (like A. thunbergii var. urashima), and maybe few species not that much grown from seeds should be added on the list. Did you looked inside the pots?
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2015, 08:34:55 AM »
Gabriela, did you see my comment on another thread. The Lilium michiaganense and canadense have made small bulbs,  sown in perlite in the bags and kept in the house. The only problem is that I sowed half in trays outside so I now have seed trays as well as bags in the living room. Susan
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2015, 09:21:36 AM »
When collecting seeds in the wild is not that easy to assess the maturity of fruits/seeds. Plus, that from exactly the same batch of seeds, some could germinate and some not. Few seeds can carry abnormal embryos or enter a deep dormancy, while others not…
These are all factors out of the collector’s hands. 

I couldn’t abstain to intervene, because I find this ‘finger pointing’ unexpected (on this forum of knowledgeable people) and also quite discouraging.
The effort and passion involved in wild collecting seeds goes beyond any financial rewards, even in the best of cases.

Gabriela

Well said.

I found the remarks unthinking and insulting.

I do not have success with every seed I buy - have never managed to germinate Trillium, but I continue to try.

My success with Fritillaria is intermiitent even though seed has been wild collected by me - must stop using this collector!

Arthur
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2015, 10:35:48 AM »
Arthur. Frit seed is best not stored in the fridge until it has been left lying around for a while. I find Trillium seed is best sown in bags with perlite and then stored in the fridge until they finally start to move. If you can sow it fresh this usually happens about Christmas when the bags can be moved into the house for a while then sown as normal. There are so many factors in getting seed to germinate. My aim at the moment is to try and find 3-4 different standard methods for Lilium. Susan
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2015, 12:46:46 PM »
Ian is always saying  in the Bulb Log  that seed from bulbous plants (especially ) should not be refrigerated immediately after  collecting because it needs a further period of development at that time.

All sorts of reasons why seed  may not be viable  - before and after sowing!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2015, 03:14:55 PM »
Thanks Susan for the advice

All sorts of reasons why seed  may not be viable  - before and after sowing!

Maggi - so true, but not recognised by everyone.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2015, 05:59:24 PM »
I and my friend who I share purchases with have had different results on the same species and so  failure is sometimes due the incompetence of the grower not the seed collector.

I also thought the comment quite insulting.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2015, 06:08:52 PM »
When collecting seeds in the wild is not that easy to assess the maturity of fruits/seeds.

Well said Gabriela.  It's a privilege to get seeds collected in the wilds of China and the collector as you say gets but one chance.  And this is to say nothing of the incredible planning, trekking and travel involved as well as the cost.  I will keep buying Lilium souliei every year until I have long term success, germination or no germination.  Support the reputable collector.

johnw

John in coastal Nova Scotia

Gabriela

« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2015, 08:55:19 PM »
It's a privilege to get seeds collected in the wilds of China and the collector as you say gets but one chance.  And this is to say nothing of the incredible planning, trekking and travel involved as well as the cost.  I will keep buying Lilium souliei every year until I have long term success, germination or no germination.  Support the reputable collector.

johnw

Of course! And even more, there is so much variation from one year to another regarding the time they reach maturity.
Regardless of the germination, holding in my hand a seed from a remote, wild location that I may never get to visit, is worth a thousand times more than in reality.
It's what I call 'seed traveling'  :)
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Karaba

• My 2015-2016 seed list (in french)
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2015, 09:14:15 PM »
And the seeds that I collected are 'seed souvenir'   ;D. My garden is full of these souvenirs of holidays or people and I'm very sad when I lose one of these.
Yvain Dubois - Isère, France (Zone 7b)  _ south east Lyon

P. Kohn

« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2015, 08:22:28 AM »
I sowed more of the meconopsis integrifolia seeds from last year's seeds and got very good and speedy germination (germination was also faster last year than all my other meconopsis species and cultivars). Am eagerly awaiting this year's list - promised late November so overdue.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal