We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Australian Native Plants at the ANBG Canberra  (Read 111434 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Australian Native Plants at the ANBG Canberra
« Reply #105 on: October 11, 2008, 05:25:23 AM »
A few more things from the last couple of days......

89490-0
89492-1
David mentioned NZ having Dracophyllum when I posted something similar earlier in this topic..... well here we have Dracophyllum macranthum.  Pretty flowers and rather nice foliage.

89494-2
89496-3
Homoranthus prolixus is a beautiful plant but I can't say I find the scent attractive.  A tinge of mouse droppings somewhere in there, mixed with an almost sickly honey sweet smell.  Stunner of a plant, but the perfume is offputting to me at least.  ::)  About 2 feet tall and maybe 3 1/2 feet wide.  Can't miss it in flower!

89498-4
89500-5
Libertia paniculata

89502-6
89504-7
Olearia phlogopappa looks at first glance almost like an Aster species, but it is a small shrub.  As you can see though, clearly part of the Asteraceae.  This is about 4 foot tall with flowers over an inch wide.  This is the pink flowered form (they are normally white, but there is also a blue).

Enjoy.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #106 on: October 11, 2008, 05:31:10 AM »
89506-0
Some of our Swainsonia formosa pots.  Coming more and more into flower and looking so beautiful.

And as requested.... a couple more Waratahs.

89508-1
Telopea mongaensis x speciosissima which doesn't have the surrounding bracts to make it look more like a single flower.  Is about 4.5 inches wide.

89510-2
Telopea speciosissima 'Red Ned' which has a larger flowerhead but also less in the way of the bracts.  A around 5.5 inches wide I think, but I still don't have that tiny tape measure to carry with me as yet, so I can't be sure.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #107 on: October 11, 2008, 06:39:19 AM »
Striking pictures, Paul.
Especially the Olearia is a gem.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #108 on: October 11, 2008, 10:46:33 AM »

There are heaps of different Proteaceae family members amongst the Australian flora.... Banksia, Grevillea, Telopea to name but a few.  We and Africa are I think the only two areas that have them?  Not sure whether they extend anywhere else... do they have any of them in NZ?

Paul, New Zealand has managed to keep a couple of genera of Proteaceae. The sole NZ representatives are Persoonia toru and Knightia excelsa. The latter is quite a large tree and is found predominantly in the North Island. There is a large specimen growing outside the Otago Museum in Dunedin. Other genera we share are Libertia and Olearia.

Keep posting Paul though pink Dracophyllums are a bit over the top (a bit like that Australian icon, Priscilla, queen of the desert).
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 10:58:26 AM by David Lyttle »
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #109 on: October 11, 2008, 12:04:32 PM »
David,

Fascinating to hear what we share between our countries.  Surprisingly little when you really think about it, given how close we actually are. ::)  So you don't have pink Dracophyllums then?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #110 on: October 11, 2008, 12:07:43 PM »
Striking pictures, Paul.
Especially the Olearia is a gem.
Gerd

Thanks Gerd.  Glad you're enjoying them. :D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Cephalotus

• My passion is nature.
« Reply #111 on: October 11, 2008, 01:08:28 PM »
Fantastic species! That Olearia phlogopappa is really fascinating! I doubt it was frost resistant... Also Swainsonia formosa looks so attractive and genteel. :) I hope to visit you and Australia one day!
Best regards,
Chris Ciesielski
Zary, Poland

My photos: http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a206/cephalotus/

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #112 on: October 11, 2008, 09:13:00 PM »
Krzysztof,

Well the Olearia is at least somewhat frost hardy, given it is in the Tasmanian section and in the open.  Also this section is at the bottom of the ANBG so that intensifies the frost somewhat, at least in relation to the rest of the ANBG.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2008, 07:35:13 AM »
I was really amazed with the uniqueness of Australian plants. Once in the past accidentally I have found one site where I could see many photos of different habitats ans plants in Australia. I think it was about Victoria, but I am not sure. I tried to find any site where I could watch many photos like in an album, but with no results. I could find only very few photos on them. Can any one help me with that, please? These topics with Australian native flora photos made my aesthetic experience hunger only bigger. I need MORE! Much MORE!
Hi Krzysztof,
if you still haven't had enough after all of Paul's pics you can try this site:http://www.goldfieldsrevegetation.com.au/
you can search for pics (not all entries have pics though) by genus, common-name or even by flower colour!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #114 on: October 13, 2008, 11:23:18 AM »
Paul this Waratahs looks like a cactus dahlia on a rhododendron. A great combination :)  8)
Thanks
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #115 on: October 13, 2008, 11:42:52 AM »
Joakim,

I had to go back and look at the picture to work out what in the world you were talking about...... but now I see what you mean.  Not sure that the cactus dahlia is quite right.... more like one of those big fancy ball type chrysanthemums.  You're right about the leaves though.  Never looked at them quite like that before, and likely never will look at a waratah quite the same way again now!  ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2008, 04:06:48 PM »
Hi Krzysztof,
if you still haven't had enough after all of Paul's pics you can try this site:http://www.goldfieldsrevegetation.com.au/
you can search for pics (not all entries have pics though) by genus, common-name or even by flower colour!
cheers
fermi

Fermi, I just had a look at this Website. Will keep me some days off the streets I think... ;D ;D ;D
Put it to the favourites for winterevenings. To many interesting plants there! Thank you.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #117 on: October 14, 2008, 04:21:32 AM »
Hi Krzysztof,
cheers
fermi

Fermi, I just had a look at this Website. Will keep me some days off the streets I think... ;D ;D ;D
Put it to the favourites for winterevenings. To many interesting plants there! Thank you.
Hi Luit,
This is one of my favourite nurseries as it grows a lot of plants native to this region so they can be expected to survive our extreme weather. It's also just 40 minutes away so we can get there a few times a year!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #118 on: October 17, 2008, 11:39:58 PM »
Howdy All,

Sorry for no new postings of ANBG stuff this week.  I've been on training courses most of the week and yesterday forgot to take my camera with me.  Saw so many things that I now have to remember where they are for photographing for you this coming week.  ::)  Did take some photos of a couple of unusual things mid-week after one of the courses but I haven't processed them as yet so I have no idea whether they've worked out or not.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #119 on: November 09, 2008, 09:40:32 AM »
Howdy All,

I have taken heaps of photos this week, so I will start with some of them then maybe work back through a few previous ones if/as I get time.  I did take a bunch of the different Telopea (waratahs) as requested, so I will prepare some of them at least in the near future....

First up for tonight, I thought I'd start with a few of the Callistemon (bottlebrush) that are out in flower at the moment....

93335-0
Callistemon 'Firebrand'.  Grows to about 5 feet with a more or less weeping habit, or perhaps more of a spreading type.  Branches face outwards rather than growing upwards, but it isn't like a ground cover or anything like that.

93339-1

93337-2
Callilstemon 'Peak Downs' is a rather lovely pink.  These plants are about 8 feet tall.

93341-3
Callistemon 'Purple Splendour' is such a striking colour!!  :o

93343-4

93345-5
Callistemon salignus is a rather large tree, putting on a wonderful display at the moment.

93347-6

93349-7
I don't have a name for this one, as I couldn't find a name tag.  Beautiful pink flowers, with a smallish growth habit (to about 6 foot tall, with spreading branches).  Would grow it in my own garden if I knew the name of it.  Only a few flowers out on it as yet, but when it is in full bloom it should be absolutely stunning. 8)

« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 03:32:52 PM by Maggi Young »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal