We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Trillium 2023  (Read 5489 times)

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
Trillium 2023
« on: April 02, 2023, 04:45:51 PM »
This year was very bad for Trillium nivale, a lot of rain, hail and cold. It's been a long time since I've had so few flowers
Belgium

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
Re: Trillium 2023
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2023, 04:47:19 PM »
Trillium ovatum has also started and cares less about the weather
Belgium

partisangardener

• Luther Art
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2023, 04:59:41 PM »
Quite extensive your stand of T,rivale. Did you ever experience that plants did not turn up for a year after planting?
I had this with T. grandiflorum, but never had T.rivale before.
My Trillium pusillium var. alambamicum are also only three, but two of them with bud. I have been told that they hate being frozen in winter.
greetings from Bayreuth/Germany zone 6b (340 m)
Axel
sorry I am no native speaker, just picked it up.

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2023, 11:09:32 PM »
Quite extensive your stand of T,rivale. Did you ever experience that plants did not turn up for a year after planting?
My Trillium pusillium var. alambamicum are also only three, but two of them with bud. I have been told that they hate being frozen in winter.
Axel, it is Trillium nivale!
Trillium rivale, or better Pseudotrillium rivale, is also flowering now.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 11:21:35 PM by Herman Mylemans »
Belgium

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2023, 11:17:32 PM »
Did you ever experience that plants did not turn up for a year after planting?
Axel, Trillium's normally appear again next year after transplanting, but they don't like to be moving around. So it is possible that there is a delay.
I don't have Trillium pusillium var. alabamicum but Trillium pusillium var. pusillum is going to flower next week.
Trillium kurabayashii (yellow form) is flowering now.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 11:21:59 PM by Herman Mylemans »
Belgium

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2023, 12:57:09 AM »
This year was very bad for Trillium nivale, a lot of rain, hail and cold. It's been a long time since I've had so few flowers

Is it a bit earlier for Trilliums this spring Herman? I know nivale is a very early species, but I see ovatum also flowering.
In any case, the more spring flowers, the better!
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

partisangardener

• Luther Art
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2023, 03:26:17 AM »
Sorry Hermann
I had my glasses not on and little to no experience with these tiny beauties. T.nivale is what I heard even more difficult to cultivate. Nice to see big stands of these beauties in your garden.
Thank you for showing.
Your Trillium rivale look gorgeous. You have different ones, so seeds might  be expected.
From Trillium nivale I read, it takes about 10 years until they flower from seed. Are rivale faster in your experience?

« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 03:32:43 AM by partisangardener »
Axel

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2023, 09:31:41 PM »
Is it a bit earlier for Trilliums this spring Herman? I know nivale is a very early species, but I see ovatum also flowering.
In any case, the more spring flowers, the better!
Gabriela, this year Trillium nivale is later (two weeks) because of the bad weather. That Trillium ovatum is an early clone, I have another clone that still needs to start (see picture). 
Belgium

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2023, 09:42:49 PM »
Sorry Hermann
I had my glasses not on and little to no experience with these tiny beauties. T.nivale is what I heard even more difficult to cultivate. Nice to see big stands of these beauties in your garden.
Thank you for showing.
Your Trillium rivale look gorgeous. You have different ones, so seeds might  be expected.
From Trillium nivale I read, it takes about 10 years until they flower from seed. Are rivale faster in your experience?
Axel, Trillium rivale is seeding around in the garden, the flowers appear rather quick, maybe 4 years. From Trillium nivale I never had seedlings.
Today I took a picture of Trillium pusillum var. pusillum.
Belgium

partisangardener

• Luther Art
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2023, 09:31:46 AM »
What a clump of such precious plants!!
Do you have several clones of nivale? If you have several clones, do they set seed and just do not germinate in garden situations?
My T.grandiflorum always set seed, when I help with a small paint brush. Without only ever other year.
But I do not have clumps. I had too often move the garden. With my Hydroponics this problem is manageable without losses.

Congratulation to your collection of these beauties. :D :D
« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 04:04:51 PM by partisangardener »
Axel

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2023, 08:45:30 PM »
What a clump of such precious plants!!
Do you have several clones of nivale? If you have several clones, do they set seed and just do not germinate in garden situations?
My T.grandiflorum always set seed, when I help with a small paint brush. Without only ever other year.
But I do not have clumps. I had too often move the garden. With my Hydroponics this problem is manageable without losses.

Congratulation to your collection of these beauties. :D :D
Axel, Trillium nivale is from one clone. Other Trilliums mostly set seeds.
Yes Axel, my collection is already about 40 species. But they don't all do it equally well. Some don't grow either. Now I always try to plant them in groups, since the plants are quite expensive I try to sow as much as possible, but that's not the fastest way.
Belgium

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2023, 09:58:23 PM »
Gabriela, this year Trillium nivale is later (two weeks) because of the bad weather. That Trillium ovatum is an early clone, I have another clone that still needs to start (see picture). 

From my point of view it was early :) We only have few of the regular spring flowers now, and it seems that some Corydalis will try to flower soon.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2023, 08:51:49 AM »
From Trillium nivale I read, it takes about 10 years until they flower from seed.

I got T.nivale and seeds in 2016 from a kind forumist, and I love it. Those seeds germinated in 2017 and flowered for the first time 2020, so it was fastest of any of my other Trillium seedlings. :)
The mother plant is also doing well, but hasn't increased much. It was already coming up two weeks ago, but is now again under snow.
Here are seedlings which I sowed from my own seeds in July 2021. Half germinated in 2022 and now there are more germinating. :)
Leena from south of Finland

partisangardener

• Luther Art
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2023, 10:19:31 AM »
That`s a relief. I feared a situation with a good growing clone in horticulture and no one has seed grown ones. Fritillaria camtschatica is such a plant. For at least the black form grows everywhere but only the same clone.
Trillium nivale seems to be be quite rare, and growers like you and Herman are very important.

You have quite a lot of rare and difficult plants in your garden Leena. Maybe Herman would swap another clone of T.nivale?
Then we have more seedlings. ;)

Axel

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2023, 08:18:23 AM »
Maybe Herman would swap another clone of T.nivale?
Then we have more seedlings. ;)

Good idea.  :)
Leena from south of Finland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal