General Subjects > Wisley Alpine Log – Feedback Forum

Threat to jobs at Kew

<< < (2/3) > >>

Maggi Young:
Thank you , Neil, for the news about the direct gov site petition - I hope it can pick up as many signatures as the change.org one - which is over 11 thousand now.

Tim Ingram:
It's always seemed completely exraordinary to me that entry to National Museums is essentially free - but you can donate - whereas Kew, which effectively is a living collection of plants of equal importance and educational value, is quite costly to visit. It used to be very nearly free and I regularly visited when I was a student in London. Glasnevin in Dublin is free to visitors and a fine Botanic Garden. For young people and others with little resources the ability to see and study such a range of plants, and gain a proper understanding of them is surely just as important as the historical collections in places like the British and Natural History Museums. Placing such financial constraints on a garden like Kew seems to trivialise any study of the Plant World, where the opposite should be the case.

Gerry:
I'm sure that HMG would be happy to see Kew as a 'business'.  ::)

Gerry Webster:

--- Quote from: Gerry on April 17, 2014, 12:41:38 PM ---I'm sure that HMG would be happy to see Kew as a 'business'.  ::)

--- End quote ---
They certainly would. The Royal Botanic Gardens will go the same way as The Royal Mail.

Maggi Young:
Still trouble rumbling on at Kew :

"Conflict at Kew Gardens grows with the funding gap
Internal problems and a budget crisis at Kew threaten its reputation as the world's number one botanic institution, writes Tim Richardson"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/11469616/Conflict-at-Kew-Gardens-grows-with-the-funding-gap.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version