We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Grow From Seed / Re: Codonopsis
« Last post by Carolyn on June 23, 2024, 10:30:09 PM »
Veronique,
Have you seen the website woodlandsplants.co.uk? Bob and Ann hold the national collection of codonopsis and have some very useful information on the website.
I have some problems growing codonopsis too - the biggest problem this year is the slugs eating the seedlings.
« Last post by Véronique Macrelle on June 23, 2024, 07:36:36 AM »
I have tried sowing Codonopsis subscaposa at least 3 times. I have kept the plants for a maximum of 2 years.
This species remains a mystery to me. I also have a bad habit of over-watering them.

This species is slow to grow. This year I've got better growth, perhaps because I sowed them at the end of March rather than in January (when we used to get our seeds earlier in Europe).
 On the other hand, in my memory, they seemed to produce a basal rosette, whereas here they're clearly showing a stem... for an idea of size, they're in 5 cm pots (patience! :-\)

Flowers and Foliage Now / Re: june 2024 in the northern hemisphere
« Last post by Véronique Macrelle on June 23, 2024, 07:26:24 AM »
thank you for these details.

end of flowering of Ariseama tortuosum grown in the ground. I won't have any seeds, the inflorescence only has male flowers. this year, it's not as tall as usual.
I dream of having the biggest Arisaema possible... I've heard that some reach 180 cm!

A little further on I have Ariaseama tortuosum helleboricum from seed; they remain small, 50 cm max, even though they have been flowering for 3 years. I thought this subspecies was taller than the others.... This year, one of them flowered without even making a single leaf, which was a bit ridiculous, and how is it going to replenish its tuber?
Blogs and Diaries / Re: my local patch and wildlife - Ian McDonald
« Last post by ian mcdonald on June 22, 2024, 08:15:45 PM »
Yann, the Gagea were flowering at the end of March/early April.
« Last post by Véronique Macrelle on June 21, 2024, 08:50:06 PM »
I was particularly pleased to find Codonopsis rotundifolia seeds this year at the srgc exchange.
a successful sowing as I have about twenty seedlings.
 I have already had this species flower, or at least a plant called Codonopsis rotundifolia var grandiflora.

It's really extra and its colour varies according to the individual, which I also like.
 she's the one that got me interested in Codonopsis in general. I did a little post on it

https://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=18204.msg417310#msg417310

I know that these plants will remain at the juvenile stage this year. I've put them in a large window box so that they can develop their "carrot" to the maximum.

a bit of chlorosis here too, at times...
 the seedling on the bottom right is a companion plant, a seedling of Caiophora lateritia, sown in March: I'm testing it a bit everywhere because here again, I want to see it flower, but I don't know much about growing it.
General Forum / Re: Hydroponic propagator
« Last post by Maggi Young on June 21, 2024, 07:33:09 PM »
Lots of different models to choose from on Ebay!
Grow From Seed / Re: Growing Daylilies from Seed
« Last post by Guff on June 21, 2024, 06:22:52 PM »
Don't think I'm going to have any flowers this year, from my bought auction seeds. If I get something special and I have extra seeds, will probably list some at some point. Can only grow so many each year, have other garden projects to do as well.

Grow From Seed / Re: Cyclamen Bioag Ful-Power experiment
« Last post by Guff on June 21, 2024, 06:09:43 PM »
Finally have an Alba, this plant was from my first batch of seeds collected. Now to get another 10-20..... Once I'm sure I have some backup plants, will dig and move my three original big plants.

General Forum / Hydroponic propagator
« Last post by Maggi Young on June 21, 2024, 05:34:12 PM »
Connor Smith wrote: "I was rather against these hydroponic propagators as I didn't think they were needed nor had they been tested on any challenging species.
After hearing repeated positive things I caved and got one to test.    I have converted.
While the design is rather shoddy it has worked on some tricky species such as Sorbus gilgitiana 1st pic.
Allowing cuttings in the busy peak seasons with next to no additional work, a massive plus. Herbaceous species are often quick and easy. Like the hardy Costus in the 2nd picture. So far I have had little trouble after potting them up. A good asset, not a replacement."

« Last post by Véronique Macrelle on June 21, 2024, 01:47:44 PM »
in order sur la photo :
 Codonopsis ovata, Codonospis cardiophylla and Codonopsis obtusa...
 they are similar, but with slight differences in the foliage. sown in March: can I expect them to flower this year?
C. obtusa is 1 specimen, and I'm always worried about getting to winter without seeds...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal