We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Apple iPad, Mac, IPhone Photo resizing.  (Read 303 times)

Graham Catlow

Apple iPad, Mac, IPhone Photo resizing.
« on: May 07, 2024, 03:21:55 PM »
Hi, does anyone know of a simple method of resizing photos taken on an iPhone down to the required <200kb that the forum requires without losing quality.
Bulk resizing would be great.
I have tried many times but I either lose quality or they don’t quite meet the required limit.
I would like to stress the words SIMPLE METHOD as I don’t want to be spending too much time doing this.
Bo'ness. Scotland

arisaema

Re: Apple iPad, Mac, IPhone Photo resizing.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2024, 04:15:36 PM »
I have started using https://Imgur.com - it's simple and free, and they have been online since 2009 so I don't think they are going anywhere soon... Once you've chosen and uploaded a picture (top left corner: New Post), hold your mouse over the picture to make three dots visible, click them, choose Get share links and copy the third option called BBCode.

Paste it in your post here on SRGC, and...

arisaema

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2024, 04:17:12 PM »
It works for very large files, this picture is 5.45MB:

Graham Catlow

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2024, 06:01:34 PM »
Bo'ness. Scotland

Graham Catlow

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2024, 06:03:28 PM »
Thanks Arisaema,
That worked.
I may be able to post more often now.
Bo'ness. Scotland

Graham Catlow

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2024, 06:05:59 PM »
Do you know how many I could add per post please.
Bo'ness. Scotland

arisaema

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2024, 07:22:28 PM »
Do you know how many I could add per post please.

You can add as many pictures as you'd like to a post, but you need to go through the same process and copy-paste the BBCode for each of them.

'Korn's Purple':

One of the Anthura hybrids:

Graham Catlow

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2024, 07:37:20 PM »
Thats great. Thanks again.
Bo'ness. Scotland

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2024, 08:01:57 PM »
That's a shame the module of resizing isn't enabled in the forum. That's one of the reason i don't upload photo anymore, resizing photos before showing them is time consuming.

Problem is that photo are hosted on fasthosts servers and usually this kind of companies are expensive. Nowdays we can store millions of photos full sized on storage such as google drive, amazon s3 for a reasonable cost and link photo to the forum.

SMF forum has a module that allow to use a a private S3 account with a public bucket and let people upload photos through the forum.
https://www.smfhacks.com/s3systemforsmf.php

If an admin is interested i can help with this module, i implemented it on a private french board hosting 1.2 millions photos of insects and it works for 6 years without any problem.

North of France

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2024, 10:51:47 PM »
"I have started using https://Imgur.com - it's simple and free, and they have been online since 2009 so I don't think they are going anywhere soon... Once you've chosen and uploaded a picture (top left corner: New Post), hold your mouse over the picture to make three dots visible, click them, choose Get share links and copy the third option called BBCode.

Paste it in your post here on SRGC, and..."

Test ....
It works for me as well (windows 11 laptop), so thank you Ariseama.

[ Attachment Invalid Or Does Not Exist ]

« Last Edit: May 07, 2024, 10:57:24 PM by t00lie »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2024, 06:12:51 PM »
That's a shame the module of resizing isn't enabled in the forum. That's one of the reason i don't upload photo anymore, resizing photos before showing them is time consuming.

Problem is that photo are hosted on fasthosts servers and usually this kind of companies are expensive. Nowdays we can store millions of photos full sized on storage such as google drive, amazon s3 for a reasonable cost and link photo to the forum.

SMF forum has a module that allow to use a a private S3 account with a public bucket and let people upload photos through the forum.
https://www.smfhacks.com/s3systemforsmf.php

If an admin is interested i can help with this module, i implemented it on a private french board hosting 1.2 millions photos of insects and it works for 6 years without any problem.

Kind of you to offer help, Yann, but there is no one offering to get involved from here.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal