We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Paeonia 2013  (Read 72241 times)

Matt

Re: Paeonia 2013
« Reply #45 on: April 14, 2013, 11:30:46 PM »
Paeonia corsica in flower today in my garden (together with Tulipa clusiana).
It is the first flower of a 5 years old plant from seeds collected on Mt. Cagna in Corsica.

Matt
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 10:37:18 AM by Maggi Young »

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2013, 12:33:19 AM »
Interesting that you should post that image today Janis. At yesterday's South West AGS Show a chap came into the member's plant sale with a few pots in a box that he asked to be put on the sales table in case anyone was interested in them for free. Amongst them were two Paeonia seedlings labelled as follows:-

"Paeonia Sp. Nova Iran, Talysh, 2000m, JJA 19199" I put £5 in the till and brought one pot home with me. With the pots was a coloured photograph of a yellowish Paeony which one chap on the plant stall said might be Molly the Witch!

Last night I had a look through the Jim Archibald papers on the SRGC Main Site and couldn't find any reference to Talysh, Iran and I also looked quickly through the JJA Seed Lists and could not find a reference to "19199" and looked to Maggi to see if she might be able to point me in the right direction. Maggi came up with the following:-

747.961 : #PAEONIA TOMENTOSA Azerbaijan. (A very little-known species. Plants from seed collected in the Iranian Talysh range, which runs from SE Azerbaijan on into Iran, in the 1960's (as P. wittmanniana) were compact with white flowers & most distinct. We saw yellow-flowered ones in another Iranian Talysh locality recently. This seed is from up towards Armenia, in the main body of the Caucasus, in NE Azerbaijan. Our own seedlings are as yet unflowered.)

For the sake of the record I'll try to post an image of my plant tomorrow although it looks no different to the images Janis has posted.

Did you collect the seed from which your plants were grown Janis?

David you lucky chap.  I got a few seeds from this list JJA . 19199 Paeonia sp nova and have just potted up the resulting seedlings. Jim made it sound so nice that I couldn't resist  ;)
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 09:27:27 AM by ian mcenery »
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #47 on: April 15, 2013, 09:24:06 AM »
Matt - thank you so much for that information about the Iranian peonies and David Millward's fascinating article. All a lot clearer now! Some wonderful pictures in nature.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2013, 11:40:45 AM »
Matt - thank you so much for that information about the Iranian peonies and David Millward's fascinating article. All a lot clearer now! Some wonderful pictures in nature.

I agree, thank you! :)
The foliage of P.tomentosa looks interesting compared to "normal" P.wittmanniana.
Leena from south of Finland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #49 on: April 15, 2013, 07:02:07 PM »
Thanks to Maggi, Matt and Tim for getting to the bottom of this one, what a lovely place to be this Forum is.

Ian, I now know where to come if I loose mine ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Matt

« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2013, 11:09:22 PM »
Paeonia coriacea in flower today in my garden (thx dad for the pics).
It is the first flower of a 6 years old plant from seeds collected on the Atlas Mountains in Morocco by Christine Skelmersdale.

Matt

ArnoldT

« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2013, 03:07:39 AM »
Paeonia tenuifolia subsp. lithophila
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

ArnoldT

« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2013, 03:12:41 AM »
Paeonia emodi
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #53 on: April 17, 2013, 09:01:32 PM »
Arnold has beaten me to it - Paeonia tenuifolia is probably my favourite of all species because of its unique foliage, and is extraordinary when it first comes through the ground. This is a particularly compact form in our garden (I think originating from seed from Jelitto?). It would be interesting to compare this with other forms when it is fully developed - it never sets seed as well as other peonies, but we did get a few seed last year and it would be good to get a small colony of plants going.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Roma

« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2013, 10:17:16 PM »
Are you sure they're not sea anemones, Tim?
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Matt

« Reply #55 on: April 17, 2013, 10:18:59 PM »
Paeonia tenuifolia subsp. lithophila

Hi Arnold

Is Paeonia tenuifolia subsp. lithophila the one that grows taller and sturdier than the "normal" species?

Where did you get your P. emodi from? Here in Europe it seems very difficult to get the true species...many nurseries sell here the Early-Late Windflower hybrids as P. emodi. I am still looking for the true species!
The huge plant at Kew in the Order Beds labelled as P. emodi is in fact one of the Windflower (it comes from Stern's garden at Highdown)...and I suspect that the big plant in Cambridge BG is also from Highdown (Gail...have you got pics of it?).
The plants at Kew in the south "Asia" end of the Rock Garden should be the true species and so should be the plant in Berlin-Dahlem BG (shown in the attached pic).
The main feature of true P. emodi is the single carpel.

M.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 10:26:21 PM by Matt »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2013, 10:32:30 PM »

The huge plant at Kew in the Order Beds labelled as P. emodi is in fact one of the Windflower (it comes from Stern's garden at Highdown)...and I suspect that the big plant in Cambridge BG is also from Highdown (Gail...have you got pics of it?).
M.

http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=6964.msg195278#msg195278
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Matt

« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2013, 10:54:06 PM »
Great Maggi..thx a lot!

The leaves of the Cambridge plant seem OK...may be Gail has got a better detail of the flowers.

M.

ArnoldT

« Reply #58 on: April 18, 2013, 03:34:44 AM »
Matt:

The Paeonia tenuifolis subsp. lithofilia came from the now closed Seneca Hills Perennial Nursery located in New York State.  It was run by Ellen Hornig.

I've had it in the ground  for at leave five years and this is the first flower.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #59 on: April 18, 2013, 06:38:41 AM »
The main feature of true P. emodi is the single carpel.

That is good to know. :)
Berlin P.emody is a beautiful plant!

I have P.emodi which I hope will flower for the first time this year (only yesterday the snow melted from that bed), they were sown 2007 from seeds I bought from Burkhardt from Germany, but I think they were seeds from his garden (not wild collected), so there is always a possibility of them not coming true.
I have also 'Early Windflower', planted last autumn (so I don't know if it will flower yet this year) to compare.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 06:41:37 AM by Leena »
Leena from south of Finland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal