We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Marcus Harvey's Bulb Catalogue for 2009/2010  (Read 4605 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Re: Marcus Harvey's Bulb Catalogue for 2009/2010
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2009, 11:29:42 PM »
No list in winter so no Liliums next year. :( bye Ray
Ray,
if I get Coal Creek's list I'll forward it to you as an attachment. Not as many rare species, though.
Do you get Rod Barwick's Lilium list?
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

angie

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2009, 11:53:57 PM »
Bit slow here, can i have a copy to please.
Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2009, 12:00:52 AM »
Bit slow here, can i have a copy too, please.
Angie :)
It's on its way, Angie  :D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Ray

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2009, 12:48:57 AM »
Hi Fermi,I got Coal Creeks list from you earlier this year and got some lilies off them as yet no flowers but they are going ok.As this was the first time i have dealt with him not sure if he will send me a list next year or if i have to rely on you for one.
Yes i get Rod Barwicks list. bye Ray
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2009, 03:09:15 AM »
Hi Ray,
Yes, my liliums from Adrian at Coal Creek Bulb Farm are doing well (except for one that came up just as the cockatoos were on a rampage! >:( ) A L-A hybrid and a trumpet have already flowered and the others should be open over the next few weeks.

Hi Maggi,
thanks for your help with sending out the catalogue for Marcus. As he is one of the few nurserymen in Australia to grow most of his own stock and keeps his range of these little beauties diverse and interesting I feel strongly about supporting him to keep him in business!
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2009, 03:10:22 AM »
I don't get either of those catalogues, Fermi. (Hint!  Hint!  ;D)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Ray

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2009, 04:06:30 AM »
Hi Paul,if you are not getting a list from Marcus you a leading a deprived life :)bye Ray
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2009, 04:53:07 AM »
In an email from Marcus today, he said he had been so busy and was so tired that he hadn't sent out the bulk of electronic copies yet, so shouldn't be long Paul.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2009, 05:22:30 AM »
Hi Paul,if you are not getting a list from Marcus you a leading a deprived life :) bye Ray

Ray,
I think he means Coal Creek and Glenbrook! and I got the hint!
Yes, Lesley,
I had to ask Marcus to send me the catalogue electronically though he had sent the "hard copy" already. The artwork by Susan is her usual high quality and the colour pics are good too.
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2009, 07:09:35 AM »
Ray,

Yes, I do get Marcus' catalogue.  I have been doing so for something close to 20 years now I think.  Not sure exactly when I started (it probably hasn't quite been 20 years, but it can't be too many years off that I think), but it was many, many moons ago.  ;D  He refers to me at times as one of his oldest customers, and I tell him to go easy on the "OLD" references.  ;D ;D

And Fermi, thank you for getting the hint.  :-*
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

anita

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2009, 07:25:28 AM »
Hi Fermi,
I wouldn't mind getting those other two catalogues too (I got Marcus' hardcopy via snail mail and it's already dog eared. I confess I probably will be restricted to dreaming of the cooler climate beauties listed in his and the other two catalogues. I have to exercise extreme discipline going through Marcus' catalogue as I have to restrict myself to stuff that loves heat and a dry rest but doesn't need winter chill. There's still a stack of stuff there though from the Peloponnese and Crete where he's collected that suits sunny Adelaide. As I'm trying to restrict the number of pots I have I tend to keep things in a pot for a two or three years and then try them in the garden. So far there have been a number of Crocus and Colchicum that have made the transfer to the garden. C. hadriaticus, C. goulimyi and C. niveus don't seem to mind the the 38+ deg C heatwaves and the water restrictions that have afflicted Adelaide for the past three summers. C. cartwrightianus and Cyclamen libanoticum has gone so far as to self-sow!
Cheers Anita
Dry Gardener (rainfall not wine). Adelaide, South Australia. Max temp 45C min -1C

Ray

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2009, 07:35:06 AM »
Hi Paul,well there you go ,you haven't been deprived at all!
Fermi has put me on the right track.byeRay
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2009, 07:50:37 AM »
Ray,

I've only been deprived of a lot of money over the years.... because I keep ordering too much from Marcus' wonderful catalogue, even when I can't really afford it.  ;D

Anita,

Calochortus should fit that description pretty well too, coming from the sunny California area.  And many of the Scilla too I think.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

anita

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2009, 07:59:34 AM »

Anita,

Calochortus should fit that description pretty well too, coming from the sunny California area.  And many of the Scilla too I think.

Paul,

You are right about the Scilla, I'm just starting with those from the basic S. peruviana, which persists in many old gardens around Adelaide. I've not ventured into Calochortus (yet!) as I'm trying to avoid developing another addiction (in addition to Aroids, Cyclamen, Crocus, Colchicum, Tulipa).
Anita

Dry Gardener (rainfall not wine). Adelaide, South Australia. Max temp 45C min -1C

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2009, 08:19:06 AM »
I know my wallet will regret this, but could you send me a copy of Rod & Adrian's catalogues too please Fermi. Bulbs will probably be easier for me to handle at the moment than seed.
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal