We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Colchicum autumn 2009  (Read 53551 times)

I.S.

• http://crocusmania.blogspot.com/search/label/Crocus
Re: Colchicum autumn 2009
« Reply #255 on: October 03, 2009, 09:46:36 PM »
For second I have no clear idea. It comes also from same region. But it has only 8 leaves, thiny and long perianth tube, very nice dark color.
It would be great if anybody can help for giving name!!

Ibrahim.

Ibrahim,

Could it be C. sanguicolle?

If I'm not wrong it seems you can notice the red cataphyll at the base of the flowers [ 2ed photo], can you check it? and also indicate the flower measure + -

Hi Oron,
No ways for C. sanguicolle. These two Colchicum come to me from Gaziantep near Syrian border. They are very close to your region and climate. I thought you may have seen before! The leaves on my last picture does not remind you any of your colchicum?
And what do you think for my C. polyphyllum? Is that correct!
Ibrahim

dominique

• River Dweller
  • passionated by bulbs since 1978,
« Reply #256 on: October 04, 2009, 06:59:10 AM »
Colchicum psaridis (thank at the friend who sent it me !)
do

Pontoux France

I.S.

« Reply #257 on: October 04, 2009, 07:22:53 AM »
Hi Simon,
I just have seen your discussion about C. turcicum. I was also asking to myself where is this C. turcicum. Because  I was calling mine as C. byzantinum which is syn of C. cilicicum in my flora.
After you ask me, I checked Jim’s colchicum atickles written by K. M. PEERS. She says C. byzantinum is hybrid and sterile species in trade which have different chromosome number but does not known  second species which made hybrid with C. cilicicum. So in this case it is not posible to see C. byzantinum in wild. If like that mine also should be C. turcicum like yours. You are telling exactly my plant.

My family live just near Bulgarian frontier and I go to visit my family very often but I did not see this colchicum there.
I am ataching one more sample fron different location again.
If anybody has the description of  C. turcicum Iwould like to have one!.
Ibrahim.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 07:25:26 AM by ibrahim »

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
« Reply #258 on: October 04, 2009, 08:51:15 AM »
Hi Oron,
No ways for C. sanguicolle. These two Colchicum come to me from Gaziantep near Syrian border. They are very close to your region and climate. I thought you may have seen before! The leaves on my last picture does not remind you any of your colchicum?
Ibrahim

Ibrahim,

It might be also C. stevenii [leaves are similar to the photo],  it is difficult to say only by looking at the flower since i don't know the scale.

C. stevenii has small flowers 2-4cm and the leaves [1-3 mm wide] appear while the flowers are still present.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 09:18:08 AM by Oron Peri »
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #259 on: October 04, 2009, 09:11:39 AM »
Hi Ibrahim
We found what we think is Colchicum turcicum behind the beach near Primorsko- about 40km north of the Bulgarian/ Turkish border. We did not see it further south, but I cannot see any reason why it should not be in other places closer to the border. The border area is a difficult place to visit with only rough tracks and bad roads and we weren't in a 4X4 that day. How is it on your side of the border? I don't know if you saw our posts from earlier this year, but this area is where we also have Scilla bithynica and the gracile form of Galanthus elwesii. It would make sense if we also share Colchicum turcicum  ;)
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

I.S.

« Reply #260 on: October 05, 2009, 04:26:54 AM »
Hi Oron,
Ibrahim

Ibrahim,

It might be also C. stevenii [leaves are similar to the photo],  it is difficult to say only by looking at the flower since i don't know the scale.

C. stevenii has small flowers 2-4cm and the leaves [1-3 mm wide] appear while the flowers are still present.

I.S.

« Reply #261 on: October 05, 2009, 04:29:58 AM »
Hi Oron,
Ibrahim

Ibrahim,

Oron, my colchicum has 8 leaves (prx. 10mm, wide), appear in spring and in that region I have no record of C. stevenii !

I.S.

« Reply #262 on: October 05, 2009, 04:39:56 AM »
Oron thanks for help,
But my colchicum has 8 leaves (prx. 10mm, wide), appear in spring and in that region I have no record of C. stevenii !

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
« Reply #263 on: October 05, 2009, 06:07:39 AM »
Only a garden plant. Colchicum autumnale ALBUM PLENUM shows us the first flowers.
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #264 on: October 05, 2009, 07:50:01 AM »
only a garden plant....

Creating an absolute picture withe red autumn leaves as a backdrop - Autumn in essence  :)

Wonderful Hagen!
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #265 on: October 05, 2009, 09:22:43 AM »
Truly wonderful Colchicum Ibrahim !!!  :o
Thank you so much for showing !!
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #266 on: October 05, 2009, 12:55:56 PM »
Nothing special but the Colchicums continue in the brilliant sunshine which, by the way, we won't see again for a week.

johnw
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 02:38:33 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Regelian

• waking escapes the dream
« Reply #267 on: October 05, 2009, 01:06:54 PM »
John,  a really wonderful planting.  How many years did it take to reach its current proportions?
Jamie Vande
Cologne
Germany

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #268 on: October 05, 2009, 01:43:45 PM »
A long awaited day of rain, and cooler night temperatures, have brought more flowers out on Colchicum cupanii- and also 'darkened' the shade of pink on the older flowers. Also the first flower on another Colchicum cupanii, from a different source, in the xeric garden.
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #269 on: October 05, 2009, 02:45:34 PM »
John,  a really wonderful planting.  How many years did it take to reach its current proportions?

Jamie - I think it was about 25 years ago that the previous owner planted them.  When he sold the property 3 years ago he took quite a few of the Colchicums so they have increased very well.  Most are store bought but there may be, as previously suggested, a few named varieties in the crowd. They are planted under a Robinia 'Frisia', a combination he loved but I found it absolutely horrifying - yellow and day-glow pink.  Against the blue ocean in the distance, without the 'Frisia', would do it for me; the 'Frisia ' with the the ocean as backdrop works 11 months of the year.

johnw
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 03:22:34 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal