We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica 2024  (Read 5503 times)

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
Re: Hepatica 2024
« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2024, 08:19:36 PM »
I don't think I posted my H. transsilvanica, which started to open in the first week of March! (a record here) and the last image was taken last week.
These are my oldest plants from seeds and it is the first time they flower well. I have younger ones (younger meaning 5 years :) and they still produce fewer flowers even if I fertilized them last summer. I think H. transsilvanica being rhizomatous, follows the same pattern like other species with rhizomes (Podophyllums, Jeffersonia and so on..), first they need to bulk up their root system before flowering well. At least that's my theory...
The most beautiful Hepatica for my eyes and soul :)

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Jeffnz

« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2024, 10:19:45 PM »
I agree a very strong colour, most pleasing on the eye.

Gabriela

« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2024, 01:08:01 AM »
One of each: H. japonica, H. nobilis white and blue and H. americana 'Purplelicious' (the darkest H. americana form).

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2024, 09:55:52 AM »
Beautiful Hepatica’s Gabriela, especially the dark blue americana.
We were with a small group 3 days in Germany to see some botanical gardens.
We also visit the plant market in Kiekeberg. There were a lot of people and a lot of plants. Also many Hepaticas by name, but they have already finished flowering. My Hepatica collection has grown a bit.  :)
Belgium

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2024, 05:25:35 PM »
Herman, you must have had a really good time. :)

Beautiful Hepaticas, Gabriela. Here they are just only starting to flower.

Hepatica transsilvanica

Hepatica japonica 'Hakurin' and in the background 'Shirayuki', which has become so big. It grows in the highest spot in that bed, and clearly likes it place. I don't dare divide it when it is growing so well now.

Leena from south of Finland

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2024, 07:52:55 PM »
Herman, you must have had a really good time. :)

Hepatica transsilvanica
Hepatica japonica 'Hakurin' and in the background 'Shirayuki', which has become so big. It grows in the highest spot in that bed, and clearly likes it place. I don't dare divide it when it is growing so well now.
Leena, it was indeed a very pleasant trip! Today here I already harvest seeds in the alpine house! Outside it is cold and wet!
It is nice to see that japonica is growing so well in your garden!
Belgium

Jeffnz

« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2024, 03:02:07 AM »
Leena
Do the white hepaticas set seed?

MarcR

« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2024, 04:17:55 AM »
Gabriella,

Magnificent blooms! I especially like the deep blue in the first post of the series.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

kris

« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2024, 06:43:44 AM »
Hi Everyone
nice hepaticas. our hepatica season is just starting. Yesterday I saw some just starting to flower by internet correspondence. We are still in India and hopefully some will be flowering when I return back.
Gabriela your dark Americana" purpilicious"(did you name it)is lovely. Did you distribute the seed before. If not and if you are going to sell some I want to have some. Such a dark , lovely colour.
Saskatoon,Canada
-35C to +30C

Leena

« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2024, 08:14:18 AM »
Leena
Do the white hepaticas set seed?

No, they are double and sterile. :(

Gabriela

« Reply #85 on: April 18, 2024, 06:59:51 PM »
Beautiful Hepatica’s Gabriela, especially the dark blue americana.
We were with a small group 3 days in Germany to see some botanical gardens.
We also visit the plant market in Kiekeberg. There were a lot of people and a lot of plants. Also many Hepaticas by name, but they have already finished flowering. My Hepatica collection has grown a bit.  :)

Thank you Herman. I am sure you had a wonderful time and how can one abstain from having more Hepaticas? :)

The 'dark blue americana' is actually purple, reason why I call it 'Purplelicious'. I know there was a discussion at some point about the Hepatica colors, and while blue is very common for H. americana - in various shades, purple is more rare.
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gabriela

« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2024, 07:02:28 PM »

Very nice to have the Hepatica season starting Leena! Do not touch the large H. japonica (except to take pictures :), it looks perfect where it is!
Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Gabriela

« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2024, 07:11:27 PM »
Hi Kris, I suppose you cannot wait to be reunited with your summer garden.
Yes, I had it as H. americana - deep purple, then I name it because it is very distinct. I will try to take out a small division for you.

The color is a bit too intense, it was at the start of flowering and I took it with my cell phone. As the flower age, it fades a bit, like with all other H. americana colors. This taken two days ago with the camera.

What I'm saying about color, can be easily noticed with H. nobilis 'Walter' -deeper pink at the beginning, then fading a bit.
The multipetals are doing well, just that the chipmunks got into cutting the flowers right after opening so I had to put them under a mesh.

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5

Starking007

« Reply #88 on: April 19, 2024, 06:43:48 PM »
Der Walter ist besonders schön. Und selten.

Diese Zufallssämlinge will ich die Tage auspflanzen, es ist grad schön nass und kalt - brrrrr.....
720452-0

Leena

« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2024, 10:28:21 AM »
I should also prick out some three year old seedlings and move to separate bed, but it is also here too cold right now. :)
For some reason I have many seedlings germinating this year, and I'm most pleased about seedlings sown from plants I got from Carsten last year. Of course they were open pollinated because they were already finished flowering when they got here, but it will be so interesting to see how they are like when they flower in a few years time.:)

Gabriela,
really nice, and I especially like your multipetals, but the dark americana is great too. I like the dark anthers in H.japonica. :)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal