We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Trillium 2023  (Read 5788 times)

MarcR

Re: Trillium 2023
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2023, 02:13:30 PM »
Marc, I have been on Holiday in Italy, so I have been less on the forum. You have an interesting method. How long are your cycles?....quote]

Herman,

I use 12 week cycles.   I place 4 or 5 tbsp of seed starter in a ziplock bag, add the seeds  shake,
add water to dampen [not wet] the soil. First I hang the bag on a grow light with a clothespin, then I refrigerate it. Germination usually occurs on the second light cycle; but, sometimes on the second cold cycle. Starting in the second light cycle, I check twice a week for sprouts.
I drill holes in a dishpan for drainage and fill it with equal parts of sand, gravel, leafmold, and potting soil; and place 2 pans under a grow-light.  Under the pans are planter boxes with gravel. I sprouts into the dishpans as soon as they are detected. I use the same method .The water evaporation from the planter boxes under the pans protects the seedlings from the dry air indoors.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 02:48:20 PM by MarcR »
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

MarcR

« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2023, 02:24:37 PM »
Marc, I have been on Holiday in Italy, so I have been less on the forum. You have an interesting method. How long are your cycles?

Herman,

I use 12 week cycles.   I place 4 or 5 tbsp of seed starter in a ziplock bag, add the seeds  shake,
add water to dampen [not wet] the soil. First I hang the bag on a grow light with a clothespin, then I refrigerate it. Germination usually occurs on the second light cycle; but, sometimes on the second cold cycle. Starting in the second light cycle, I check twice a week for sprouts.
I drill holes in a dishpan for drainage and fill it with equal parts of sand, gravel and potting soil; and place 2 pans under a grow-light.  Under the pans are planter boxes with gravel. I transplant sprouts into the dishpans as soon as they are detected. I use the same method with Hepaticas.
The water evaporation from the planter boxes under the pans protects the seedlings from the dry air indoors.

Please excuse the duplicate post. I don't know how it happened!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 02:35:33 PM by MarcR »
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2023, 10:42:13 PM »
Marc, I have been on Holiday in Italy, so I have been less on the forum. You have an interesting method. How long are your cycles?....quote]

Herman,

I drill holes in a dishpan for drainage and fill it with equal parts of sand, gravel, leafmold, and potting soil; and place 2 pans under a grow-light.  Under the pans are planter boxes with gravel. I sprouts into the dishpans as soon as they are detected. I use the same method .The water evaporation from the planter boxes under the pans protects the seedlings from the dry air indoors.
Wow Marc, your method is impressive. It is intensive work, but with perhaps a better germination result. For me, the germination is irregular, but in the end, depending on the amount of seed in the pot, there are usually enough plants left for the garden. Germination is easiest when the seed is very fresh.
Belgium

MarcR

« Reply #63 on: May 03, 2023, 10:59:59 AM »
Herman,

By holding the seedlings indoors until they gain some growth, I protect young seedlings from: turkeys, moles,voles, gophers, slugs, and insects. Protected from predation they get a good headstart before they have to face the real world.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2023, 10:32:18 PM »
Some more Trilliums:
Trillium luteum

Trillium oostingii
Belgium

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2023, 10:33:12 PM »
Trillium sulcatum

Trillium grandiflorum
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 10:36:51 PM by Herman Mylemans »
Belgium

partisangardener

• Luther Art
« Reply #66 on: May 06, 2023, 07:59:13 AM »
Very impressing, how do you prevent hybrids? Do you?
greetings from Bayreuth/Germany zone 6b (340 m)
Axel
sorry I am no native speaker, just picked it up.

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2023, 08:46:32 AM »
Very impressing, how do you prevent hybrids? Do you?
Axel, planting in groups, some distance between the groups (shrubs and other plants between them), I alternate between pedicellate trilliums and sessile trilliums. Keep in mind the flowering period, there can be a month difference. If a hybrid appears in the same place, I will transplant it, if it's a nice one.
If you want to be very sure it is hand pollination. If I don't need the seeds I remove the berries. When the group is large enough, I remove any emerging seedlings.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 09:17:22 AM by Herman Mylemans »
Belgium

Mariette

« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2023, 09:43:44 AM »
Herman, You´re lucky to own a garden large enough to grow such an impressive collection and manage it in such a deliberate way! Also,  obviously all species do well in Your garden. On my heavy clay, I have far more success with the sessile ones than the pedicelate species.
The variations in Trillium luteum You show is fascinating! Owing only a smaller garden, I prefer the more showy ones, as the deeper yellow one of Your last picture.

Though I grow trilliums since about 25 years, I never noticed any self-sown seedlings. I think there are some hybrids among the plants I grew from seed, but as long as they are nice I´m quite happy to keep them.

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2023, 11:34:50 AM »
Trillium sulcatum

Trillium erectum
Belgium

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #70 on: May 06, 2023, 02:21:29 PM »
Trillium mixed seedlings from a kind forumist in NZ. Unflowered to date so identification is beyond me.   Anyone have a guess which species they might be or are they indeed a mix? The second shot shows a strongly marked one.

Can't get larger pix to upload though some folks can have them enlarge in a different window but I've never been able to.

johnw

edit by maggi :
pix enlarged as far as possible here.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 06:20:35 PM by Maggi Young »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2023, 07:51:49 AM »
Axel, planting in groups, some distance between the groups (shrubs and other plants between them), I alternate between pedicellate trilliums and sessile trilliums. Keep in mind the flowering period, there can be a month difference. If a hybrid appears in the same place, I will transplant it, if it's a nice one.

Herman, your Trilliums are growing so well!
Thanks for giving the idea how to keep species separate, though I don't have that problem (yet at least), but it would be nice to have as good groups as you have.
Mine are mostly T.chloropetalum or its hybrids, but as long as they are growing well I love them and they are showier than T.erectum which also grows well here. Still, all plants are nice. :)
Trillium luteum is also very nice, and I like how it flowers later than others. It's yellow is so lovely. I have couple of seedlings from your seeds, Herman. :)

John, really nice foliage. I have also some plants from Dave's seeds, and they have nice foliage indeed, and pretty flowers as well (the ones which have flowered so far).
Leena from south of Finland

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2023, 10:17:36 AM »
Trillium rugellii

Trillium grandiflorum ‘Flore-Pleno’
Belgium

Gabriela

• Never enough Gentiana...
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2023, 01:10:45 PM »
Herman - your Trillium clumps are fantastic!
I sowed the seeds of T. sessile I got from you directly in the ground and they all germinated. I intend to leave them like that, maybe one day they transform in a large clump :)

Gabriela
Ontario, zone 5
http://botanicallyinclined.org/

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2023, 01:10:29 PM »
Herman - your Trillium clumps are fantastic!
I sowed the seeds of T. sessile I got from you directly in the ground and they all germinated. I intend to leave them like that, maybe one day they transform in a large clump :)

(Attachment Link)
Gabriela, in a few years they will be beautiful!
Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal