We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Sempervivum: Late Settling In.....  (Read 1687 times)

cohan

• forest gnome
Sempervivum: Late Settling In.....
« on: October 15, 2009, 12:40:15 AM »
i've just received a little packet of semps from somewhere that i'm sure has been warmer than here! they were sent a little moist, and all are rather pale after 9 days in the post, and some are a touch etiolated, though not most...

im not sure what to do with them now, as its very late in the season here--we're hopefully easing out of a cold spell the last week, roughly--we've had daytimes below freezing, and hit a record low somewhere around -20C! it should be back above freezing for daytimes now for a while 7 to 17C, but nights will still be near or below freezing, often considerably below... if i put them straight out, i dont know what would happen to them, i doubt they'd root, would they survive as unrooted rosettes?....

the semps that are  outside in pots will be sunk in the ground (as soon as it thaws!) but should i keep these ones warm for a while to let them root in, or just keep them dry and let them start hardening right away?
or do i need to keep them inside all winter? semps never look good indoors, but i could put them under lights to root, then on a very cool windowsill till early spring when i could harden them off?

Arie.v

Re: Sempervivum: Late Settling In.....
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 02:07:27 AM »
I would keep them in a cool windowsill and they will root at cool temperatures and then plant them out in spring.
Especially if they look a little pale and stretched the freezing temperatures will not help them any
The most important part of a garden is the one who enjoys it.
Arie Vanspronsen
Waterdown Ontario Canada

cohan

• forest gnome
Re: Sempervivum: Late Settling In.....
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 02:13:59 AM »
I would keep them in a cool windowsill and they will root at cool temperatures and then plant them out in spring.
Especially if they look a little pale and stretched the freezing temperatures will not help them any

thanks for the input...i was kind of leaning that way, too... some look solid enough, and might be fine, but the weak ones especially i cant imagine surviving the cold..

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal