We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: xPyllothamnus erectus #1 "Crinolines' by Barry Starling  (Read 1411 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
xPyllothamnus erectus #1 "Crinolines' by Barry Starling
« on: January 08, 2021, 05:59:59 PM »
I hope everyone is aweare of this marvelous bigeneric hybrid by Barry Starling down in Devon.   It seems to have everything going for it: winter hardiness, a profuse bloomer, very large clear pink flowers, fine glossy foliage, a bushy habit & rootability with great ease.

The first two shots are of a cutting grown plant started late winter 2020.  Photos 3 & 4 show 'Crinolines' in the ground for a few years.

johnw
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 06:01:39 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

pfirsich48

Re: xPyllothamnus erectus #1 "Crinolines' by Barry Starling
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 10:05:20 AM »
Great looking plant with high praise for growability and and winter hardiness - very interested in how someone due west in Downeast Maine might obtain this beauty

johnw

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 04:03:57 PM »
Due west yes but the border (6 hour drive from here) is firmly closed until autumn likely, when everyone here is vaccinated.  We've propagated a few but are spoken for already. We'll be propagating more for next year but cannot ship across the border without a phyto, that process is cheap enough ($12) but involves 2 drives across the harbour in traffic and can chew up an entire morning.  I'd imagine this also portends of what's in store with Brexit; gone are the days when the UK inspector would come out to my London hotel, inspect, sign the papers and have a pint!! 

I'll try to get cuttings to a nursery friend close to the border.

john

pfirsich48

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 11:34:04 AM »
Thank you for your reply, I am patient and can wait for a more appropriate time to obtain this plant.  I have been to Wrightmans and knew Harvey if that is your nursery contact near the border. I understand that the time is inopportune for accessing this plant so will wait for possible purchase sometime in the future (if there is one).

johnw

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 02:56:28 PM »
I'll get some cuttings to Esther when more are available.   You could ask her if I already sent some to Irene, maybe she has it underway and I failed to record sending it to her.

Hamamellis coming out along with Lonicera x purpusii 'Winter Beauty', Skimmia reevesiana and Viburnum x bodnantense 'Dawn'. The last two will be sorry!

john
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 02:01:31 PM by johnw »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal