Specific Families and Genera > Meconopsis

Meconopsis 2022

<< < (2/4) > >>

Leena:
Margaret, thank you for your message. :)
Understanding where my plants have come makes them all the more important to me. They have done well in my garden, and after last summer when they flowered for the first time, they gave a lot of seeds which I have sown myself and also donated to the seed ex (with the name ex Jim's ex), but most likely they have crossed here with M.gakyidiana (or plants grown as such from seed ex) or 'Lingholm' or plants grown from FBG seeds with no other name, and we'll see what the plants will be like in three years time. I understand how it is for nurseries selling named cultivars.  :( Here we have no opportunity to buy named plants after Brexit so I am even more grateful being able to grow plants from seeds.
Thank you also for the information from The Rock Garden, I have somehow missed it, but read it now. Really interesting information about Meconopsis.

Margaret Thorne:
I, too, sympathise with nurseries, it must be a very difficult way to make a living and it is a thoroughly good thing that customers are willing to pay for expensive Meconopsis cultivars. Much as I would like the nurseries to thrive, my personal interest is in growing Meconopsis species from seed and being able to study them at all stages of their development. Here in the Scottish Border hills we have a relatively better climate for doing so than in much of the rest of the country. Many members of The Meconopsis Group failed to germinate and raise plants in 2022 and also lost plants from the previous years’ sowings. We succeeded in raising a lot of plants from seed, but I fear we will have huge winter losses from the abnormally cold weather in December and the mild wet conditions now. Meconopsis gakyidiana is one of the species which we are in danger of losing from cultivation as it seems to have become hybridised.

Leena:

--- Quote from: Margaret Thorne on January 07, 2023, 11:42:38 AM --- Meconopsis gakyidiana is one of the species which we are in danger of losing from cultivation as it seems to have become hybridised.

--- End quote ---

Here are pictures of my M.gakyidiana, grown from seed ex seeds 2019 and they flowered last summer for the first time. It usually takes three years to get flowering Meconopsis plants in my climate (or is it my care..). The colour of the flower is not so bright as other FBG but more muted.
These were the first ones to start flowering of my Meconopsis, 'Lingholm' starting a few days after M.gakyidina.
Are these also hybrids? Probably when they are garden origin. I don't mind because they were good plants but just that I know when I give their seeds away. :)
First picture is leaves in spring, and then flowers. Unfortunately I didn't take pictures of the seed pods.

Claire Cockcroft:
That's a beauty!

Leena:
Thank you Claire, I like it very much. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version