Specific Families and Genera > Meconopsis

Meconopsis 2022

(1/4) > >>

Leena:
Meconopsis flowered well this year, and surprisingly none of the plants suffered from a difficult winter.

I have plants grown from seed ex seeds called Jim's ex, and they turned out to be very nice plants. They started to flower a bit later than my old 'Lingholm' (or what I had as such), but earlier than M.bailey plants.
The first picture is from it's leaves in spring.
Then there are pictures of flowers, large and blue.
and then picture of their seed pods which are to my eyes intermediate to 'Lingholm' and bailey seedpods.
Last picture is the seed pod of my 'Lingholm/sheldonii.

My question now is that I have seeds from this Jim's ex to send to seed exchange, but how should I name them? Should I keep the name Jim's ex? They also may have hybridized here with other Meconopsis I have. What does Jim look like? Is it the same as 'Jimmy Bayne'?

Leena:
Another Meconopsis which I have grown from seed ex was Meconopsis Pink Perennial.
These plants turned out to be more M.bailey-types when looking at leaves and seed pods, and they also flowered later at the same time as M.baileyi.
They were very floriferous, with flowers placed from the stems more than in my other Meconopsis. I admit I don't know enough about Meconopsis.
From these seeds some plants were blue, and some purplish lilac, and in those plants the flower shape wasn't very nice to my eyes. Blue flowered ones and normal flower shape.
In the last picture there from the right there is first "pink perennial" in full flower, then in the middle Jim's ex in the end of it's flowering and in the back 'Glacier Blue', M.baileyi type.

Leena:
In the first picture there is M.gakyidiana in the background. (in the previous post).

Maggi Young:
Info gleaned from a talk by David Rankin this evening!
Curtis Magazine Meconopsis wanbaensis.

A new article has been published by David Rankin. 

"A yellow-flowered Meconopsis that has been cultivated in recent years under various names, particularly M.pseudointegrifolia, has now been recognised as a new variety of M.wanbaensis.  

It has been described as Meconopsis wanbaensis var. undulatissima in Curtis's Botanical Magazine, vol 30 (2): pp. 323-336 (2022), with a painting by Anne Chambers."

Unfortunately we are not able to supply a link to the article.

Margaret Thorne:

--- Quote from: Leena on October 15, 2022, 09:25:06 AM ---My question now is that I have seeds from this Jim's ex to send to seed exchange, but how should I name them? Should I keep the name Jim's ex? They also may have hybridized here with other Meconopsis I have. What does Jim look like? Is it the same as 'Jimmy Bayne'?

--- End quote ---
‘Jimmy Bayne’ is a Meconopsis cultivar named by the late Evelyn Stevens in 1997 and registered by The Meconopsis Group in 2002. Further details about it and photographs may be found on The Meconopsis Group website (under plants, cultivars, George Sherriff Group). As with any named cultivar, it is essential to propagate it vegetatively (by division in the case of Meconopsis) for the resulting plants to retain the name ‘Jimmy Bayne’. It is supposedly a sterile plant, but in practise it does produce some seed, so plants grown from this are not entitled to be called by the cultivar name. They should, in theory, be inferior to their seed parent, but Stuart Pawley (formerly SRGC Seed Reception Manager) grew plants from seed produced by ‘Jimmy Bayne’ which he considered to be superior to the seed parent plant and he therefore submitted resulting seed to the seed exchange under the name ‘Jim’s ex’. Since then this name has appeared on the SRGC seed list several time and it seems likely that this has not all been first generation seed from ‘Jimmy Bayne’ plants, so I guess Ian and Carole probably would accept it under that name.
The Meconopsis Group, however, makes seed such as this available only for experimental purposes. The suggestion that you can order a packet of seed from the SRGC seedex and grow a dozen plants which are superior to a named cultivar (single plants of which will set you back £12 each) is not particularly welcome as far as those of our members who run nurseries are concerned!
Further information about Stuart’s experimentation with Meconopsis can be found in ‘The Rock Garden’147 pages102-109 entitled ‘Where have all the Green Fingers gone?’
Any Meconopsis seed submitted to a seed exchange might have become hybridised unless the plants from which it was collected had been covered and hand pollinated, so all recipients of seed should check the identity of their plants before re-submitting their seed under the same name.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version