We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 4C / 3C Met Office forecast: to cover or not to cover Cypripedium  (Read 1321 times)

Corrado & Rina

Dear all,

After two late frosts which have broken havoc with new shoots and flowers, tonight the Met Office forecast temperature to around 4C with a 3C perceived. What would you do? Do you cover Cypripedium with fleece or not?

Regards

Corrado

Corrado & Rina

monocotman

Re: 4C / 3C Met Office forecast: to cover or not to cover Cypripedium
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 06:53:02 AM »
If worried then cover them. As long as it is above freezing or there is only a ground frost and not an air frost then things should be fine. If they receive the early morning sun then they are more at risk from any slight frost so again cover them.
David
'remember that life is a shipwreck, but we must always remember to sing in the life boats'

Heard recently on radio 4

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 08:37:47 AM »
Dear all,

After two late frosts which have broken havoc with new shoots and flowers, tonight the Met Office forecast temperature to around 4C with a 3C perceived. What would you do? Do you cover Cypripedium with fleece or not?

....... or move to Devon and have them spoiled by incessant wind and rain :(
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

SteveC2

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 11:04:49 AM »
Unless the wind drops dramatically I would not expect much in the way of frost and certainly at the moment I would do more harm than good trying to fleece anything in my garden.  Then again I have often wondered about going paragliding! ;D

Corrado & Rina

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 09:26:53 PM »
Unless the wind drops dramatically I would not expect much in the way of frost and certainly at the moment I would do more harm than good trying to fleece anything in my garden.  Then again I have often wondered about going paragliding! ;D

I had not thought about that, I think I may just avoid the fleece .... :D
Corrado & Rina

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal