We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: July 2011 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 11919 times)

Tecophilaea King

• traveling off the beaten track
July 2011 in the Southern Hemisphere
« on: July 01, 2011, 01:36:49 PM »
The first of July already and although still winter with a few light frost up to now, there is already a hint of spring in the air with a handful of the early Narcissi and Iris to start the July month in the Southern Hemisphere.
I am always looking forward and especially pleased to see the first of the charming Narcissus cyclamineus every season, one of my favourite species.
The large, (up to 50 mm) wide spreading  N.bulbocodium seedlings I did select from a collection Narc. romieuxii mesatlanticus, with another little vase of an early miniature tazetta hybrid called Narc.Beesknees
I also  have several of the winter flowering Iris unguicularis Purple Trinity seedlings flowering for the first time, this seedling is one of the better form and colour, although slightly overexposed.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 01:46:11 PM by Tecophilaea King »
Bill Dijk in Tauranga, Bay of Plenty, New Zealand
Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

Re: July 2011 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 02:47:49 PM »
Just a bit of a novelty with the giant (double white) tree Dahlia imperialis up to 4m. (18 ft) or more  still flowering in the nursery despite the frost.
Climate zone 10

fleurbleue

• les Jardins des Grims
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 03:59:49 PM »
You are lucky to grow it Bill  ::)
Nicole, Sud Est France,  altitude 110 m    Zone 8

angie

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 04:55:11 PM »
Bill that's amazing. Had no idea that a Dahlia could grow as tall as that. Thanks for showing us.

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

arillady

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 11:26:55 AM »
Bill you certainly have a knack with plants. Here in South Oz there is not much flowering yet.
But I thought I would pick some of the things that were flowering in the mist of winter.
And playing with different setting on my camera inside.
Some of the flowers include: Eremophila (three different), double roman, paperwhites, the small flowered white narcissus whose name escapes me, a hoop ex Monocot years ago, single species wallflower, a geranium (double pink), the pale blue Echium, the fruit of the Chinese.......... :-[the daisy (?) and the quondongs and the ?dusty miller?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 11:30:07 AM by arillady »
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 11:37:48 AM »
Here in South Oz there is not much flowering yet.
But I thought I would pick some of the things that were flowering in the mist of winter.
And playing with different setting on my camera inside.
Some of the flowers include: Eremophila (three different), double roman, paperwhites, the small flowered white narcissus whose name escapes me, a hoop ex Monocot years ago, single species wallflower, a geranium (double pink), the pale blue Echium, the fruit of the Chinese.......... Embarrassedthe daisy (?) and the quondongs and the ?dusty miller?

Oh, yeah, right.... nothing much flowering at all, apart from the Eremophila (three different), double roman, paperwhites, the small flowered white narcissus whose name escapes me, a hoop ex Monocot years ago, single species wallflower, a geranium (double pink), the pale blue Echium, the fruit of the Chinese.......... the daisy (?) and the quondongs and the ?dusty miller? ........... ::) 8)

Sorry, Pat, no sympathy here for the "lack" of flowers! ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 11:53:47 PM »
Here's a favourite flower for winter, the delicate North African Ranunculus calandrinioides. There are better forms, with deeper pink, wider, overlapping petals but this is mine and I'm happy with it. 2 pictures

302511-0

302513-1
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

arillady

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 12:04:49 AM »
Lesley I have never seen that plant before - it is lovely.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 01:25:56 AM »
Yes Pat, it certainly is a beauty and I'm sure will be in Australia somewhere, maybe with Otto, or another grower of alpines and it would probably do well with you as it comes from North Africa and doesn't mind a very hot, dry summer when it is dormant. It flowers now from thick tuberous roots and only seems to ask to be well drained and sunny. The bigger clumps are easily divisible, the thong-like roots falling apart, in summer.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 01:47:33 AM »
I'm posting a few pics here of seedlings and 1 pod, for Wim van den Berg, finally unmixed from Wim Boens. (They know what I mean, even if I don't. ::))

First the mature but still unripe pod of Asteranthera ovata. There are 6 on the plant and this is the biggest, about 1.5cm in diameter. It has looked just like this for about two months and isn't progressing towards ripeness but still seems quite turgid and firm so even if it waits until spring, I hope it will eventually yield some seed.

The others are seedlings of John Weagle's dark red dahlia, Anne Wright's Cosmos atrosanguineus and Brian Ellis's rose coloured Iris innominata. They're all in my tunnel and have a frost cloth thrown over at night to be on the safe side so look a little pale (though they're not so pale in the flesh, so to speak. I aim to keep the Dahlia and Cosmos growing until spring and on from there as I think I'd lose them if they were to die down at this stage, so young and small.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 09:19:34 AM »
 ;D
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 09:55:15 AM »
Here's a favourite flower for winter, the delicate North African Ranunculus calandrinioides. There are better forms, with deeper pink, wider, overlapping petals but this is mine and I'm happy with it. 2 pictures

Very nice Lesley, would Ranunculus calandrinioides do well in Tauranga?  I can supply the warmer conditions, but not always the dry summers, and of course can supply plenty of drainage  (in container?)
Another plant for the wishlist, and possible reciprocal exchange with other treasures when dormant?

Climate zone 10

Tecophilaea King

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 10:08:01 AM »
The first of the always popular Iris reticulata's and a nice colourful Lachenalia pendula flowering.
Looking forward to more Irises and Lachenalia species flowering soon.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 11:39:42 AM by Tecophilaea King »
Climate zone 10

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2011, 11:28:59 AM »
It would be well worth a try Bill. It shouldn't mind some humidity as it's dormant in summer but you could always keep it in a pot anyway. Your most likely source would be Hokonui Alpines in Gore.

Sarmienta

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 06:55:55 PM »
They look very good  Lesley ;) I believe the seedpot has reached the maximum size . I am a bit jealous  :o

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal