We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: April in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 13029 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: April in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2007, 10:09:09 AM »
Thanks for the names Rob. The brain clicks into gear once they're in front of me. It's a species Razvan, not a hybrid. Very different from the usual.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2007, 10:45:25 AM »
Gosh, that Rhododendron is nice. Is it a small species? Hardy?
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2007, 10:55:04 AM »
The R. stenopetalum 'Linearifolium' is a real stunner, isn't it? I think this variety makes about 1m  while R. stenopetalum would be a little larger.  Hardy to about H3 ...(UK) so will need a protected spot, which I am prepared to provide!  I MUST find one!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2007, 12:30:08 PM »
Lesley,

What a wonderful selection of photographs. They give us a lovely glimpse into the gardens in Australia, something we would otherwise not have. I could comment and compliment one plant after another but that would be such a long list so I will confine myself to the rhododendron which is a truly different cultivar, one of those plants which would puzzle many a visiting gardener.

You should pass on our compliments to your friends on their wonderful gardens and tell them they are being enjoyed at the other side of the world.

Yes, I know the downsizing of the photographs is a chore but I, for one, am looking forward to the next batch. Don't worry, we can be patient and life must go on and so look forward to them whenever you get round to it.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2007, 12:40:18 PM »
You should pass on our compliments to your friends on their wonderful gardens and tell them they are being enjoyed at the other side of the world.

Yes, please, Lesley, do tell your friends how much we are enjoying your/our visit to their beautiful gardens. It's a triumph that anyone can make such a wonderful garden in such difficult conditions of drought etc... our good wishes to them all :)

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2007, 08:52:43 PM »
Wonderful pictures Lesley....so many thanks from this side of the giant ball.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2007, 06:11:43 AM »
The R. stenopetalum 'Linearifolium' is a real stunner, isn't it? I think this variety makes about 1m  while R. stenopetalum would be a little larger.  Hardy to about H3 ...(UK) so will need a protected spot, which I am prepared to provide!  I MUST find one!

I'm pretty sure Don's plant was close to 2 metres as from gound level I was looking up at it.

This was just one garden of course and all were different. There's another close by that I didn't visit this time but I have some pics on a disk from a 2003 visit. I'll need permission perfore I can use them though. It is quite different and totally unexpected in the Australian bush setting. See what I can do. In the meantime, and to follow very soon, a few from Victoria and from Tasmania.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2007, 03:14:08 PM »
Don's plant was close to 2 metres
Crikey, I didn't realise it could make that, never mind, I still want one!

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2007, 09:48:28 PM »
Lesley - great impressions. I like it.
Best wishes
Armin

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2007, 02:25:28 AM »
Just 7 pics today and then one of the really big batches, starting tomorrow. It will be May by then anyway.

I took very few pictures at either Tim's or Otto's houses, mainly because it was so good just to talk and be with them both and Tim's lovely family that the camera took a back stage. In any case, Tim's garden which I think is about 12 acres, is in a major re-development phase, (as is his house) so perhaps in 2 or 3 years there will be a better idea of Tim and Angie's own tastes, rather than those of their predecessors.

But you will I'm sure like Tim's garden gnomes. PROPER gnomes, not the beastly plaster/concrete things with faces like those of Disney's 7 dwarfs. These are delightful and it's a shame that all the original set isn't there, many having been lifted by a previous occupier.

15705-0

15707-1

This enormous Cryptomeria japonica has a multiple trunk from just inches above ground level.

15717-2

15709-3

Tim's intention is for a mainly woodland garden and the old trees are a great help in providing cool, moist places for his extensive collection of Trilliums and other cool loving plants.

15711-4

At present there is a series of smaller gardens making up the whole. I think some are to be developed or changed and some abandoned in favour of something different. Tim is a great planner and seems to have the final vision for both house and garden firmly in his mind.

15713-5

This tall eucalypt is in a neighbour's garden, but dead and was being taken down bit by bit, then fed into a giant mincing machine, making enormous piles of mulch for miles of paths. I expect it's gone by now.

15715-6

When we had coffee in a little deli, this clipping was on the wall inside. It was from last spring. I think in future Otto will have to take my avatar title. He does delicious cakes, pies, flans, tarts. I know, I tried several.
I hope he doesn't open this one before he leaves on Wednesday for Prague! He'll murder me :'(

« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 02:36:19 AM by Lesley Cox »

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2007, 03:12:50 AM »
Lesley,
I won't tell him till we're on the plane!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2007, 07:33:08 AM »
Wonderful images Lesley and super little gnomes....they could almost represent an East Lancashire Group picnic scene from Harrogate!! Can't wait for the next batch of piccies but I suppose it's going to be next month before we can view them over here!  ;)
Take care y'all.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2007, 09:35:49 AM »
Nice Gnoms and pics Lesley.
Otto is not a cake maker he is a cake baker if any thing, since I presume he bakes the cakes as well as put icing on them.
I missed the cake pics :(
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2007, 10:09:08 AM »
Getting the bit between my teeth now.

Otto, Tim and I went to a fascinating place called the Cranbourne Botanic Garden. It is quite close to Melbourne and I think is an offshoot of the Melbourne Bot Gdns. It has only native plants in it and the way they are displayed and grown is unlike anything I've ever seen. Though it's not a garden I'd want to live in, it is hugely effective for education purposes and very dramatic.

These first pictures are reminiscent of Aboriginal art and show the "Great Red Heart" of Australia.

15733-0

15735-1

15737-2

This wattle or mimosa is Acacia aphylla, literally without leaves, has spines instead. They are quite soft to touch though, not unlike the spines of Cichorium spinosum.

15739-3

15741-4

Many plants are displayed in bands of related species or species from the same area in a single group. The rope dividers are different and interesting. There is no attempt to make the place look "natural" as we would think, but rather, to create some idea of the great space and essential harshness of the Australian inland landscapes.

15743-5

15745-6

15747-7

Many plants have superb foliage like this one, Eremophila glabra

15749-8

Hills and wet areas are made deliberately "artistic" rather than natural and are very exciting in the context of the whole garden.

15751-9

Rob

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2007, 10:28:41 AM »
The botanic garden looks amazing. It shows what a dramatic effect can be achieved with native plants.

Regards,
Rob
Midlands, United Kingdom

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal