We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Genus Arisaema  (Read 13385 times)

jim divers

Re: Genus Arisaema
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2007, 11:00:27 AM »
Made a hash of that Try again

jim divers

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2007, 11:07:08 AM »
Third time lucky. This is Ternatipartitum. The others are Ehimense, Amurense, Sazensoo and Sikokianum. Apologies for the errors.
Jim
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 11:10:14 AM by jim divers »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2007, 11:14:01 AM »
You're getting more than a little addicted to these Arisaemas, aren't you, Jim? I do see their attraction, though.   It is another of my failings that I am hopeless at identifying them, I know I should sit down and pay more attention to which  have tri-part leaves and which the many fingered feathery sort and so on... that would help me for a start... I think I am getting idle......okay, more idle!
Ian was worried yesterday that some of our Arisaemas weren't showing yet.. I told him I thought he was looking in the  wrong spots... which he, of course, denied but later he admitted that when he had had a rootle where I said they were, he had found the noses, just emerging! They are a bit late. Our A. griffithii isn't nearly as large this year, I think that is down to being far too dry last season.

PS... note to Carol: my bargain Phalaenopsis is full of flower!!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2007, 11:14:57 AM »
PPS ...when I visit, I'll bring my own marshmallows!!  Also, Molly's here and sends her love.

jim divers

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2007, 11:30:34 AM »
Hi Maggi,
It would be lovely to have you and Ian visit and we would not allow you to doss under the rhodos!! Cant spell the full name without looking it up. Purdey was a year old yesterday so time flies. Hope you are having lots of fun with Molly, she would be very welcome too.
Love Jim

johanneshoeller

« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2007, 07:28:36 PM »
Arisaema griffithii and nepenthoides
Hans
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 12:42:17 PM by johanneshoeller »
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

jim divers

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2007, 09:47:41 AM »
Hans, Nice plants. My Griffithii have only produced leaves this year with no flower. Nepenthoides I lost with all the wet weather, they are quite sensitive to damp.
Jim

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2007, 11:32:24 AM »
Hello, Folks, I have received an email witha request about info on Arisaema consanguineum... can anyone help, please?

"Hi there.

I'm the President of the Vancouver Shade Garden Society, based in Vancouver, Canada.

We had a presentation on Arisaemas at our monthly meeting last week and one member inquired about whether Arisaema consanguineum ever reproduced by tuberous offsets.  The information that I have been able to find doesn't indicate that consangineum will reproduce that way, but I also stumbled across a page from your club's website that mentioned about consanguineum possibly producing tuberous offsets.  Can anyone there from your club verify for me whether they have actually managed to get tuberous offsets from a consanguineum and if so, how long it took for the plant to produce them?

Any info you can give me would be very helpful.
Thanks,

Chris Jennings
President
Vancouver Shade Garden Society "

Please post your replies here.

johanneshoeller

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2007, 12:45:04 PM »
Arisaema speciosum

Hans
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

Ian Minty

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2007, 06:52:42 PM »
These plants look really good, but it is not really a plant that I know much about.
Which ones would grow well in Aberdeenshire and where could I lay my hands on some at a competitive price (it's not only Aberdonians that are a wee bit grippy, it spreads right through the 'shire).
I would love some for my garden.

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2007, 10:51:59 PM »
Can anyone there from your club verify for me whether they have actually managed to get tuberous offsets from (Arisaema) consanguineum and if so, how long it took for the plant to produce them?

I have found that Arisaema consanguineum produces offsets in preference to flowering.  Mine were grown from seed in a pot and within 3 years the young tubers had reproduced vegetatively and I had a lot of offsets.  After 5 years, still no flowers but dozens of offsets, so I have given them their freedom in the garden in the hope that they might bulk up into flowering size tubers instead of keep dividing. 
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2007, 11:51:38 PM »
I can confirm everything Diane says about production of baby tubers for A. consanguineum, though for me, I have had flowers at 3 years in potted nursery plants from seed. But in the garden it really gets a head of steam up and increases mightily by tubers and also flowers freely at up to 1.5 metres if really happy.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2007, 12:45:43 PM »
Which ones would grow well in Aberdeenshire and where could I lay my hands on some at a competitive price (it's not only Aberdonians that are a wee bit grippy, it spreads right through the 'shire).

Ian, they do tend to be quite expensive, although you can sometimes pick up a bargain at a member's sale or autumn bulbil sale.  I think the best way to build up a collection is from seed.  They are fun to grow from seed and they germinate quite well, although often late in the season when you have given up hope.  Although they take 3-5 years to flower, if you are dedicated you can give them a false winter in the fridge for 3 months when they go dormant, and then bring them out into warm conditions again.  This will shorten the time to flowering.  Seed is always obtainable from the Society seed exchanges, and if you get hooked, there is an internet forum with a seed exchange The Arisaema enthusiast group. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2007, 12:54:18 PM by Diane Clement »
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Ian Minty

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2007, 01:42:47 PM »
Thanks Diane, I'll have to see if I can get some seed later in the season.

Carol Shaw

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2007, 06:45:28 PM »
Ian, give us a shout - they grow extremely well for us and we are totally obsessed by them thanks to John Amand! Thinking of which he will be at Gardening Scotland and is, usually, selling arisaema corms with noses quite cheaply - we could always pick up some for you from there.
Carol
near Forres,Scotland [the banana belt]

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal