We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Genus Arisaema  (Read 13382 times)

jim divers

Genus Arisaema
« on: April 17, 2007, 12:05:16 PM »
Arisaema have become a very popular plant of late. I have several in the garden and in pots which are now in flower.
I hope I have the sizes OK and can get all the photos on one submission. I am a photographic virgin so to speak. (No please dont go there!!!)
A Utile, Urashima thunbergii, Kishidae, Kishidae again, Robustum, Rhombiforme and finally Iyoanum ssp nakaianum.
The Kishidae has a very nice leaf pattern in colours similar to the spathe.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Genus Arisaema
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 02:05:10 PM »
Jim,

Veeeeeeery nice!!  That last one in particular has a lovely form to it.  The very last of the Arisaema leaves have just died off here.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 02:29:03 PM »
Hi, Jim, love to Carol! and Purdey, no discrimination here!
Things are looking very green and leafy down there... your lawn looks very lush!
I am not surprised by the popularity if Arisaemas.. I find them hugely interesting in their various leaf shapes, textures and fabulous flowers, with and without added extras! Some complain that they are somehow sinister looking things that give them the creeps, but we can't get enough of them.
 Most are not moving much yet, here, and given the little hail shower that just hit us, that is probably just as well. :P   
 I love the range of sizes Arisaemas come in, too, I am still hoping to find a source of the very neat little A. auriculatum form that I first saw exhibitied by the RBGE a few years ago. Have seen other forms that are quite nice, but not so small and charming nor so well marked. Anyone got seed of this ?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 07:24:29 PM »
Jim,

What a great selection of arisaema. Despite being a photgraphic virgin your photographs are very interesting. Many thanks.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 01:01:24 PM »
Hi Jim and Carol, long time no see. Are you coming up to visit this year?

As Paddy says, lovely pictures of very nice plants. Hope you remeber your friends if any seed become available!

David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

jim divers

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 09:30:31 AM »
Thanks to everyone for their kind comments. Yes we will be coming up later in the year especially for the Discussion Weekend. Certainly if I get any seed I will pass them around.

In the meantime are you aware of the Arisaema Enthusiasts Group? There is a web site at

botu07.bio.uu.nl/Arisaema-L/aeg-membership.htm

It does what it says AND there is a Seed Exchange.
Regards to all
Jim
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 10:46:49 AM by Maggi Young »

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 12:57:04 AM »
At the other end of the world, we are still in seed mode. These two were taken in a magnificent garden near Hobart in Tasmania. The first is Arisaema candidissimum (wish mine would) and the second, A. consanguineum. Incidentally Anne (W) the seed you sent to me of a large fruited form of the latter, is starting to germinate now.

14722-0

14724-1
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 01:14:16 AM »
Essie?
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 03:32:17 AM »
No Rob, Barry Davidson near Hobart but off the road north to Launceston. Essie's garden is full of interest and some great plants but NOT magnificent nowadays. But she remains a great lady.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 02:20:17 PM by Maggi Young »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 01:08:55 AM »
Lesley,

So you did go there. Hope it wasn't too wet at the bottom. The first time I was there I said he should try swamp cypress - and was told they'd just been removed. Did you visit Glenbrook as well?
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 08:15:17 PM »
At last, our first Arisaema is out. It has been showing a nose for a couple of weeks until Tuesday and then on Wednesday was suddenly in flower.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 02:12:41 AM »
Barry's place was VERY wet at the bottom but mainly because he seems to have an unending supply of water, unlike EVERYWHERE else in OZ. I thought his use was quite profligate in view of the major drought everywhere else. The highland areas through the middle of Tas were like a desert. Whose is Glenbrook? I don't recognize the name. We went to Gillanders' place over from Essie's and also to visit Annabel Scott, briefly but were welcomed so warmly in the late evening.

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 03:09:03 AM »
Lesley,

"Whose is Glenbrook?"

The Davidson's are only a few minutes from Rod Barwick's place. Judging by my garden there should have already been a few narcissus in flower.
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 10:06:35 AM »
Right, we talked about his place but there wasn't time and we hadn't been able to contact him first anyway.

jim divers

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2007, 10:58:11 AM »
Hello David,
Your Griffithii look great. Mine gave leaf but no flower this year. I find them temperamental, too much moisture and they rot.
A few more in flower now Ternatipartitum, Amurense, Sazensoo and Sikokianum. The difference between the last two appears to be the size and shape of the spadix appendix. In Sikokianum it is above the lower lip of the spathe and reminds me of a marshmallow whereas in Sazensoo it is below the lower lip and is slimmer.
Jim
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 11:09:37 AM by jim divers »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal