We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: The Spring Exhibition in Praha  (Read 16452 times)

johanneshoeller

The Spring Exhibition in Praha
« on: April 04, 2007, 12:50:11 PM »
Here are some photos of the early spring exhibition in Praha which I have visited on Monday.
Hans

Part 1

« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 01:13:17 PM by johanneshoeller »
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
Re: The Spring Exhibition in Praha
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 12:58:49 PM »
Amazing, totally gobsmaking quantity of different cushions.
Strange how the custom in Prague is to hid the clay pots with plastic whereas here we hide the plastic with clay.
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

johanneshoeller

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 12:58:58 PM »
Part 2:
The last 4 Dionysia photos are taken in the greenhouse of Mr. Jiri Papousek.
The Helleborus (semi double) is a plant from Mr. Zdenek Rehacek and was grown from seed of Australia (not Austria)! The original plant looks like the seedling!

« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 04:17:13 PM by johanneshoeller »
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

Loripep

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 01:17:37 PM »
Beautiful pictures Hans! I loved seeing the neat groups on saxifraga on the bench. Wonder if I could do that at home, all nicely labelled.

Lori Peplinskie
Lori in Orangeville, Ontario, Canada

johanneshoeller

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 01:22:42 PM »
And 4 Fritillarias (latifolia?, carica, tubiformis and aurea)which were not all shown at the exhibition.All are plants from Mr. Rehacek who has a wonderful garden. Some of us will visit his garden during the Czech International Rock Garden Conference.

Hans
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 01:38:31 PM by johanneshoeller »

gmoen

• Geir Moen's website
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 04:05:06 PM »
Susan
I am not sure but I do think they have another reason for putting the clay pots into plastic pots than just to hide them. During my visits to CZ I have notised that most people grow their alpines in clay pots. Plants in clay pots that needs constantly moist conditions (like Dionysia), have to be placed into moist sand in plastic containers to survive an exebition that lasts for several days. I also find the clay pots most useful to grow alpines as long as they not are supposed to be lifted out for shows and exibitions. But that is not a problem to me, last show in Norway was once during the 1980's I think...... :-\
Norway

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 04:18:21 PM »
I want to go! spring 2008 comes to mind. Stunning cushions and I want some
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 04:18:54 PM »
Susan et al,

The last comments (gmoen) are particularly apt. The Czechs are master growers as anyone can see. Perfect plants like these are probably grown entirely in alpine houses and frames where clay pots are plunged to their rims in coarse sand or very fine gravel. This provides a cool and continuously moist root zone much like the plants would experience between/under rocks in the wild--and the ideal growing conditions many of us strive for in our gardens.

Removing the pots for show exposes their porous sides to significant drying action--and warms the root zone. Creating individual plunges--or even sliding the terra cotta container into a plastic one, will make a big difference for the few days it sits on the bench before being returned to its home.

Carlo
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

johanneshoeller

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 05:01:31 PM »
Carlo, it is correct what you say. But some Czech gardeners and I too do not remove the clay pots out of the plastic after a show. We only do water the with sand filled part of the plastic pots and not the pot with the plants - if it is possible. So the roots always have cooler conditions and are never too dry or too wet.

Hans

Ewelina Wajgert

• My website
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 06:33:19 PM »
Thank You Hans for all the pictures. Your photos are spiritual feast for me, all the more I weren't there.
Ewelina Wajgert, Cracow, Poland;
http://waja.strefa.pl

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 06:43:30 PM »
Are the plastic pots plunged as well or by having the sand between the clay and the plastic mean that the plastic can then just be placed next to each other doing away with the plunge bed?
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 06:48:22 PM »
Susan,

The plastic pots are probably used as a portable solution for clay pots that had been plunged in a bench and were lifted for show. A bench plunge is still preferable as it provides more consistent conditions across a range of pots.

Carlo
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 06:56:38 PM »
Thanks for the pictures Hans-fabulous
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

henkw

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 08:37:03 PM »
Thanks Hans for the very nice pictures :)

Dionysia photos: do you have any names

Henk Westerhof
in the Netherlands

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2007, 11:32:04 PM »
What an amazing collection. A million thanks. Definitely "master growers." Some names would be great if possible.

I know the Australian double white hellebore well. Mine came from there too. It comes true from seed.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal