We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Campanula 2016  (Read 2765 times)

Tristan_He

Re: Campanula 2016
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2016, 12:20:11 PM »

Campanula pyramidalis var. alba. This is a beautiful plant but unfortunately it is monocarpic, and the only two plants I managed to raise from seed flowered in different years.

I'll get some more seed and try again as I suspect that this is the sort of plant that will happily self seed if I can get it going, especially in our light soil.

This Adenophora came from trillium.no. It keys out as A. potaninii. A nice plant if a bit sprawling in the garden.

548917-2

Sheepsbit scabious, Jasione montana (thanks for the seed Ian MacD). I have several smaller seedlings that will probably flower next year.

Tristan_He

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2016, 12:30:35 PM »
Some foliage shots of different Campanula and related. These can look very tatty and chewed at this time of year but it is amazing how established plants recover.

548937-0

Phyteuma spicatum. After flowering the slugs completely chew them to the ground and they look dead. About now they form winter rosettes that seem pretty resistant.

548939-1

Campanula garganica stays more or less continuously green.

548941-2

Not so Campanula x pulloides 'G.F. Wilson' which looks completely stone dead. It looked like this last year though before regrowing abundantly from the base in spring (see up thread).

548943-3

Campanula chamissonis scarcely looks much better. It is quite overshaded by this seedling Aquilegia too. I'm taking cuttings as the bellflower will transplant.

548945-4

Campanula cochlearifolia is in rude health, on the other hand, though the sections that have flowered have been a bit chewed. This is an enthusiastic spreader and you can see the lusher, greener bits at the edge of the patch.

Tristan_He

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2016, 12:36:30 PM »
Finally a couple of rosettes of some monocarpics. This is Campanula barbata.

548947-0

And these are interesting looking. I collected some seed of these and am wondering if they might be C. thyrsoides. Any views?

548949-1

548951-2

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal