We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: March 2015 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 8765 times)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Re: March 2015 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #90 on: March 30, 2015, 08:46:39 AM »
Sternbergia of any flavour is on my wants list. Anyone in New Zealand have bulbs spare? As for the cricket: live by the sword, die by the sword. Need to respect the bowlers.
Here are some flowering now, having grown them from seed sown 2011 or 2012. The Narcissus obsoletus is flowering for the first time, and it looks like I'll have 9 flowering stalks, and counting. From the left, Cyclamen hederifolium (Zakynthos); C. graecum (Rodopou, Crete); C. hederifolium (seed labelled Cyprus).
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #91 on: March 30, 2015, 08:52:14 AM »
Is that Scilla/Prospero autumnalis also flowering there for you, Anthony? Having seen it growing on the Mani, I'd love to grow the subsp. latifolia, a more robust and attractive plant that the type but I haven't seen it listed by anyone.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #92 on: March 30, 2015, 09:01:59 AM »
Yes. I got a cocktail stick out to try and pollinate it. Usually get six or seven spikes in this pot. Only takes a year or two from seed. I didn't try to pollinate the first obsoletus flower, but it has a fat seed pod. I did notice a moth feeding on the flowers the other night, so that may be why?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 09:04:04 AM by Anthony Darby »
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #93 on: March 30, 2015, 01:01:14 PM »
I don't want to talk about it. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

In a spirit of helpfulness :) I could point out that it's only sport Lesley, and nobody died. 
But judging from my son's response, that observation might not be appreciated ;) ;D
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #94 on: March 30, 2015, 01:23:00 PM »
The words "don't want to talk"! In a post from Lesley? Nah, never ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2015, 09:06:48 AM »
The words "don't want to talk"! In a post from Lesley? Nah, never ;D

Cheeky! :)

Your Narcissus is a delight Anthony. Is it fragrant? Some flowers LOOK as if they would be.

David, in spite of your entirely unwarranted rudeness, I'll post 5 seeds tomorrow, of Iris decora. The pod opened a few days ago I think and by the time I found it yesterday, a few had fallen and vanished. But still 10 left so 5 for you and 5 for me. The main plant is in the garden now so should flower and hopefully seed morre generously this coming early summer.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

vivienne Condon

« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2015, 11:36:34 AM »
Fermi, I can't even get any leaves on my Cyclamen rohlfsianum let alone flower, so much for having drifts of them. I think I will turn them out of the pots and see if they have rotted.
I't was a great game Lesley, quite exciting I thought New Zealand played very well, we alway's have great rivalry between the two teams. I went to see Sir Richard Hadley (correct spelling?) play Australia years ago and you beat us by 1 run. I went home very grumpy.

vivienne Condon

« Reply #97 on: March 31, 2015, 11:40:01 AM »
Sorry I looked the spelling up it is Sir Richard John Hadlee my apologies.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal