We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: March 2015 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 8766 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: March 2015 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2015, 02:58:12 AM »
These two images are for Julie in Washington State of the USA. Prmula juliae, flowers and foliage.
Why are there so many queries about this super little species? Is it so very uncommon? So many people seems not to have the real thing. One source has in recent years distributed plants in our local garden centres as P. juliae, which are in fact, the same as those from Barnhaven's P x Juliana hybrids. They range through blues, purples, red shades and are quite good little cushiony plants but they are not P. juliae.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2015, 03:18:28 AM »
I agree he said after having yet failed to get a flower on 2008 seedlings
You'd think out of 2008 seedlings at least one would flower ???
 ;D
David, there's a few of the forumists that dribble anyway, but nothing to do with food.  ;)
Speak for yourself Laddie! :)
Not being a Continence Physio I don't feel qualified to comment.....but there are exercises, y'know
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Shadylanejewel

• Shadylane Nursery
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2015, 06:36:00 AM »
These two images are for Julie in Washington State of the USA. Prmula juliae, flowers and foliage.
Why are there so many queries about this super little species? Is it so very uncommon? So many people seems not to have the real thing. One source has in recent years distributed plants in our local garden centres as P. juliae, which are in fact, the same as those from Barnhaven's P x Juliana hybrids. They range through blues, purples, red shades and are quite good little cushiony plants but they are not P. juliae.

Thank you very much Lesley! Look at those cute little smooth leaves which are wider than long. No tight little rosettes! Oh my little namesake plant - I'm determined to find you!

I have found a couple more nurseries which assure me their plants are the "true species".  I've placed orders and hopefully when they arrive, I won't have to pull my hair out!  ;)
Julie Lockwood
Greetings from SW Washington The Evergreen State
USDA Zone 8b −9.4 °C (15 °F) -6.7 °C (20 °F)
Heat Zone 4 15-30 days exceeding 30°C(86°F)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2015, 09:16:20 AM »
I hope you can find it Julie because it really is a little treasure. The plant is mat-forming and not cushion-like, as in the Barnhaven seedlings, charming though they are. I've never had seed on mine and it's likely that all the plants in NZ are from a single clone. A person a few years back distributed a plant under the varietal name 'Mina' after a local gardener with the information that is is a smaller form, but it is not, and in fact is identical in every way to straight P. juliae so there is no justification for the 'Mina' name whatsoever.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Shadylanejewel

• Shadylane Nursery
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 04:51:19 PM »
I hope you can find it Julie because it really is a little treasure.

Me too - Thank you.

I've never had seed on mine

Consensus seems to be P. juliae is self sterile. I've seen companies selling seed and have stayed away from them!

A person a few years back distributed a plant under the varietal name 'Mina' after a local gardener with the information that is is a smaller form, but it is not, and in fact is identical in every way to straight P. juliae so there is no justification for the 'Mina' name whatsoever.

Sounds like another gimmick to sell plants!

Thanks again for your help!

Julie Lockwood
Greetings from SW Washington The Evergreen State
USDA Zone 8b −9.4 °C (15 °F) -6.7 °C (20 °F)
Heat Zone 4 15-30 days exceeding 30°C(86°F)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2015, 12:16:46 PM »
Fermi!!   :o :o :o  ;)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Jupiter

• Summers too hot, too dry and too long.
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2015, 08:23:38 PM »
LOL fermi.  ;D

Biarum davisii, A wonderful little arum, isn't it?

Jamus Stonor, in the hills behind Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/

Jupiter

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2015, 08:33:46 PM »

Look at these beautiful little apples. On a recent blackberry picking expedition we came upon this old old apple tree growing in a creek. I think it's Duchess of oldenburg, fits with the age of the tree and what we know of the history of this area.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2015, 08:47:51 PM »
If they are half as tasty as they look they must be delicious. Worth trying a scion from the tree?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Jupiter

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2015, 09:18:38 PM »

It could be Maggi, it's not a common variety now but not exactly rare either. I don't have room for an apple tree here. We planted a little red fuji but it's struggling... has one tiny apple on it this year.

The valley behind our house has a permanent creek in it and a lot of remnants of the settlers; figs, almonds, willows, apples, plums, zillions of olives and of course the blackberries. There are even hawthorn. Quite European.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2015, 09:47:10 PM »
I phoned Otto last night to wish him a happy birthday. He sounds well but (like me) is suffering a little from creaky joints.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2015, 09:46:04 AM »
Don't you need two varieties of apple flowering at the same time to get fruit? I think that's the problem with our peach tree.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2015, 10:02:32 AM »
I phoned Otto last night to wish him a happy birthday. He sounds well but (like me) is suffering a little from creaky joints.

....... and I thought it was just me. I used to do a lot of my gardening on my haunches, but can't get down there (or get up once I'm down)!

Happy Birthday Otto.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2015, 11:20:02 AM »
Don't you need two varieties of apple flowering at the same time to get fruit? I think that's the problem with our peach tree.
  You'll invariably get better fruiting with a pollinating partner, but there are quite a number of self-fertile fruit trees of many sorts which can mange as lone  examples.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2015, 05:13:38 PM »
Self-fertile varieties will set fruit by self-pollination, but even they will set even more fruit if they have a pollinating partner of a different variety. To make things more awkward, triploid varieties require two other pollinating partners! The crab apple is an excellent pollinator.

Anthony, your peach should be self-fertile. My neighbour has a single peach tree (possibly the only on in the Western Isles, admittedly in a polytunnel) and she gets excellent fruit set. Early flowering when few pollinators are on the wing is the usual problem, so you might try tickling with a brush.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal