We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: September 2023 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 2620 times)

Catwheazle

• USDA zone 6a
September 2023 in the Northern Hemisphere
« on: September 04, 2023, 01:53:48 PM »
The first Colchicum autumnale appears in September. Cyclamen europaum (among the Cornus mas) and Gentiana asklepiadea are beginning to fade and from the Ophrys a curious holosericea is joining the party.
Greetings from the Allgäu / Bavaria
Bernd

716129-0

716131-1

716133-2

716135-3

Si hortum in bibliotheca habes, deerit nihil» Cicero, Ad Familiares IX,4

MarcR

Re: September 2023 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2023, 07:07:28 PM »
Hi Catwheazle,,

Do you have any suggestions on sourcing the Cyclamen europaum ?

Lovely pictures!

Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

Catwheazle

• USDA zone 6a
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2023, 08:07:46 PM »
Hi Marc,
i bougt it there: http://www.alpengarten-suendermann.de/index.php
years ago....

Bernd

MarcR

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2023, 08:50:56 PM »
Brend,

Thank you
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 

ruweiss

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2023, 08:43:55 PM »
We have this Campsis radicans since more than 40 years, but never had so many flowers
and seedpods on it. The outstanding hot summer is probably the reason for this.

Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2023, 09:49:13 PM »
We have this Campsis radicans since more than 40 years, but never had so many flowers

my word, the seedpods are a  interesting as the flowers- I don't think I've ever seen those in reaal life.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2023, 01:17:47 AM »

Do you have any suggestions on sourcing the Cyclamen europaum ?

C europeum is a synonym for C purpurascens.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Catwheazle

• USDA zone 6a
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2023, 01:53:10 PM »
Yes, that's right. Sorry, I still used the outdated name :-(

Mariette

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2023, 10:07:06 PM »

Yes, the hotter climate causes a lot of different experiences! For decades I was able to grow tomatoes and runner beans true from self-harvested seed, but they are producing a puzzling range of hybrids nowadays.

Also a hybrid, maybe Arum italicum ´Pamela Harper´ x  A. maculatum, white Cyclamen hederifolium in the background.

A surprisingly hardy Arum concinnatum.

Hylotelephiums are the stalwarts of the month, together with Salpiglossis sinuata and Phlox paniculata ´Marjellchen´in the foreground.

Another Salpiglossis sinuata with Aichryson in the background, both flowering for a very long time.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 10:17:40 PM by Mariette »

Mariette

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2023, 10:19:49 PM »
A recently bought Roscoea purpurea ´Paul Bygrave´s hybrids´.

Closer.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 07:01:42 AM by Mariette »

MarcR

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2023, 10:48:23 PM »
 Mariette,

Great color!  Yours are a much deeper red than mine.
I will look for more seeds on the exchanges.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2023, 10:58:22 PM »
A recently bought Roscoea purpurea ´Paul Bygrove´s hybrids´.
Mariette, very beautiful Roscoea! I found mine in Hessenhof in Ede (Netherlands) but with the name Roscoea purpurea ´Paul Bygrave´s hybrids' https://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=19338.0
Belgium

Mariette

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2023, 07:35:11 AM »
Thank You, Marc and Herman!

Marc, a more experienced grower of roscoea in Austria told me, that his R. purpurea never produced ripe seed, unlike other species of roscoea, perhaps due to the late flowering? The few years I grow ´Red Gurkha´ and two of the ´Royal Purple Strain´ I wasn´t able to collect seed, either. Perhaps one should cultivate these plants in a greenhouse to gain seed in this part of the world? Of course it would be great if You could offer seed of this species!

Herman, You´re perfectly right, it´s Bygrave and not Bygrove - perhaps that the beauty of the plant didn´t want me to think of a grave? My plant is from the same source, it was a lucky dip when we visited De Hessenhof in July. It was chosen due to the red stems and 4 sprouts. Unlike Hans Kramer states, ´Red Gurkha´doubles each year with me, whereas the two ´Royal Purple Strain´plants bought there never grew on. Are You able to gain seed from Roscoea purpurea?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2023, 12:14:33 PM by Mariette »

Herman Mylemans

• Gentians
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2023, 10:37:24 AM »
Thank You, Marc and Herman!

Marc, a more experienced grower of roscoea in Austria told me, that his R. purpurea never produced ripe seed, unlike other species of roscoea, perhaps due to the late flowering? The few years I grow ´Red Gurkha´ and two of the ´Royal Purple Strain´ I wasn´t able to collect seed, either. Perhaps one should cultivate these plants in a greenhouse to gain seed in this part of the world? Of course it would be great if You could offer seed of this species!

Herman, You´re perfectly right, it´s Bygrave and not Bygrove - perhaps the the beauty of the plant didn´t want me to think of a grave? My plant is from the same source, it was a lucky dip when we visited De Hessenhof in July. It was chosen due to the red stems and 4 sprouts. Unlike Hans Kramer states, ´Red Gurkha´doubles each year with me, whereas the two ´Royal Purple Strain´plants bought there never grew on. Are You able to gain seed from Roscoea purpurea?
Mariette, I only collect seeds on demand. In the past I have collected seeds from Roscoea purpurea 'Vannin' HWJK 2406 which flowers much later. From 'Red Gurkha' I looked for seeds last year but couldn't find any. It is certainly not very fertile. I will keep an eye on Roscoea purpurea for seeds this year as I remove the stems in late fall.
Hans Kramer had a lot of seedlings of Roscoea purpurea 'Paul Bygrave's hybrids', so I think that plant is very fertile.
Belgium

Mariette

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2023, 12:33:28 PM »
Thank You Herman! It´s interesting to learn that You were able to harvest seed from Roscoea purpurea at least once. I trust it was from a plant in the border?

As far as I understand what Hans Kramer wrote concerning Paul Bygrave´s hybrids, they result from a deliberate cross of ´Red Gurkha´with the ´Royal Purple Strain´. Therefore, the seedlings are all a bit different, plainly to be seen by the ones You bought, as well as with the seedlings of ´Royal Purple Strain´. Most likely, they will not be grown from one of these crosses, but the hybridisation of the two repeated every year or so. As Forde Abbey sell seeds, too, seed of Paul Bygrave´s hybrids may be available there and Hans Kramers plants are grown from that source.

As Marc was so kind and generous to offer to buy seeds of trillium species of interest and donate them to the seed exchange, perhaps someone in Britain would be kind enough to buy seed of Roscoea purpurea ´Paul Bygrave hybrids´ and donate them as well to provide Marc with these?

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal