We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: August 2023 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 762 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
August 2023 in the Southern Hemisphere
« on: August 25, 2023, 04:58:10 PM »
A bit late but no one else appears to have started the thread, so here goes!
1) Massonia citrina grown from seed from kind friends in Somerset ;)
2) Narcissus 'Shattergreen' from Lawrence Trevanion in Canberra (N. fernandesii x N. viridiflorus)
3) A sweet hoop petticoat but not what was expected (N.hedraeanthus)
4) A Galanthus hybrid which has done reasonably well under an elm tree
5) Tropaeolum brachyceras just starting to flower
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

fermi de Sousa

Re: August 2023 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2023, 12:18:26 PM »
Lonicera fragrantissima - can be smelt before you get close enough to see it.
Narcissus hispanicus
Romulea hartungii (syn grandscapa)
Hesperantha latifolia
Ixia rapunculoides - "the Blue Ixia"
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2023, 05:36:48 PM »
Hi Fermi

Thank you for sharing the photographs. I am curious; does Narcissus ‘Shattergreen’ produce viable pollen? Also, you mentioned that a Galanthus hybrid is doing reasonably well under an Elm tree. Do Galanthus species do well in your summer hot-dry, winter cool (but not cold) climate? Or do the aggressive roots of the Elm monopolize all the nutrients and moisture within their root zone?

I am settling back into farm life and am quite content. Currently, I am planning a trip to Iceland Lake near Sonora Pass in September. There are so many perfect plants (hot, dry summertime climate) for our Sacramento garden that grow in this region.

Pictured is Artemisia arbuscula ssp. arbuscula growing above 10,000 feet elevation in the Carson Pass region of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. I have been successful growing this species in our Sacramento garden. It stays quite small and the silvery foliage is a delight. During the winter it looks dead, but I like this look too. I guess I am different.

Pictured is Artemisia tridentata ssp. vaseyana growing in the Ebbetts Pass region of the Sierra Nevada Mountains. This species, too, thrives in our Sacramento garden. Unlike Artemisia tridentata ssp. tridentata, subspecies vaseyana stays quite small. It too looks dead during the wintertime, a characteristic I clearly like. It is another species that has intensely silvery foliage that looks great in our garden.

Pictured is Artemisia ludaviciana ssp. incompta growing above 10,000 feet elevation above Sonora Pass in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. This species thrives in our Sacramento garden. With some summertime irrigation this species remains very green during its growing season. The foliage of this species has a very distinct fragrance, very different from many other Artemisia species.

I have a friend that lives in Ålesund, Norway. I am also hoping to get into the Caldor Fire burn scar area within the Lyons Creek Basin and gather information on Rhododendron columbianum for him. The high elevation Ericaceae species of the Sierra Nevada do not do well in our Sacramento garden. Bummer!  :'(  There are some very beautiful species. I have my hands full, but maybe I should continue to try. They are easy to germinate and grow well for a time before they succumb to the extreme heat and xenobiotics in the air and water.

Things are going well here in California. Thank you again for sharing the photographs.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 02:52:05 PM by Robert »
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2023, 02:29:04 AM »
Hi Fermi

Narcissus ‘Shattergreen’ is listed on DaffSeek, however there is no reference to whether it is pollen fertile or seed fertile. Generally DaffSeek is an excellent reference for the fertility of many Narcissus varieties. I will keep checking around, however if you come up with an answer to this question it would be extremely helpful for me. If you do not know the answer it is okay. For me finding the answer to difficult questions is fun.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2023, 12:41:07 PM »
Hi Robert,
I'll know soon if it sets any seed!
It's probably too soon for seedlings from it to be registered or listed on Daffseek if it is fertile.
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2023, 12:57:26 PM »
A few more from August:
1) Gladiolus abbreviatus
2) Cyclamen persicum
3) Anemone heldreichii
4) A seedling of Anemone pavonina and A. heldreichii
5) Ipheion hirtellum (or whatever it's beng called these days!)
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal