We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Enquiry from China re: a primula and meconopsis  (Read 3773 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Enquiry from China re: a primula and meconopsis
« on: September 04, 2008, 10:52:18 AM »
Friends, I have received this message and photos from China, seeking information about a primula and a mconopsis....can we be of help?

Message is as follows:

"This is Derek from Sichuan Alpine Ecology Study Center, China.

Recently we organized an investigation into the area of Mt. Xuebaoding, the peak of Min Shan Mountains, which ,located in the north of Sichuan Province, China, was explored by Ernest 'Chinese' Wilson 100 years ago. During the investigation we discovered two species of alpine vegetations in the bushes that we have never seen. The primula was as high as 1 meter, which was much higher than normal primulas. The meconopsis just grew in the middle of a cluster of bushes, which we guessed prevented it from being eaten by yaks. Its stem with hairy thorns was more or less as high as 1 meter. Now I just forward you their pictures and could you please, with your prefessional knowlege, let me know if they are new species. Thank you very much!

Sichuan Alpine Ecology Study Center
Tel: +86-28-6610-2958
Fax: +86-28-6610-2576
Add: 1701, Builidng B, World Trade Center
        #117, Gulou Nan Street,
        Chengdu, Sichuan, P.R.China, 610015
Web: http://www.tourtibet.com

83412-0
The primula was as high as 1 meter and that was much higher than normal primulas

83414-1
This blue poppy grew in a cluster of bushes, which probably prevented it from being eatean by yaks.

83416-2
The bottom of the bloom was very special.

83418-3
Map of this journey as above

Thank you very much!

Best regards! "

Derek Wang

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
Re: Enquiry from China re: a primula and meconopsis
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 04:26:20 PM »
...waiting with bated breath...
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 05:11:38 PM »
Hi thank you so much for the pictures all very interesting I have visited this area in 2003 and i think your Meconopsis is Sino maculata a wonderful plant which we think is monocarpic and only just in cultivation here i wonder if you are ever in the area later in the year you might look for seed. The primula is very different and I think it is so tall because it grows amidst the bushes, please tell me when you saw this flowering?? maybe Prim handelliana cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 11:52:48 PM »
I sent the Meconopsis picture to Jens Nielsen and he says Meconopsis sinomaculata as well.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 07:35:28 AM »
Hi again, Jens and I were together on this trip, we did not find Meconopsis sino-maculata but we think we found the primula, Primula orbicularis -  what a wonderfull area around Balang Shan and Sigunian Shan ( hope spelling is correct) this was not the area where we were looking for these plants however. cheers Ian the Christie kind.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 08:39:55 PM by Maggi Young »
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 09:25:34 PM »
I have just got this reply from Derek in China....
Dear Ms. Margaret Young:

Thank you very much for your reply and I have viewed those replies on your club's forum and I just answer Mr. Christie's question.

We found the Meconopsis and the Primula on July 22 at Gongganglin Pass, on the way to the Jiuzhaigou Valley, to the northeast of Mt. Balang Shan and Mt. Siguniang Shan and I think your guys can find the location on the map attached on the forum.  We estimate its florescence should be at the beginning the July and it grows amidst the bushes and that is the reason why it is very hard for people to find it. So far We do not have a plan to collect the Meconopsis' seeds and if Mr. Christie would like to we can offer him favours in terms of guide and Chinese laws.

Actually we annually seek new species of floras as well as other vegetations in the area of Hengduan Mountains and we would very like to farward you the lastest news if there is anything rised up.

Best regards!

Derek Wang

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2008, 10:57:07 AM »
Another update from Derek Wang:
Dear Ms. Margaret Young:

We have finished the report of our investigation in July and your guys may check it at http://www.tourtibet.com/client.html after logging in.

ID: guest Password: guest

This ID is valid until Oct 31, 2008 and you may publicize this account in the forum of your website. We would very like to create a permanent ID for anyone who sends us a request to admin@tourtibet.com. 

Hopefully this report would help your guys know more about Sichuan, especially the situation after Wenchuan Earthquake.

Best regards!

Derek Wang   

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 11:01:01 AM »
I urge you to visit the site and read the report... eight pages long....and also a link to an article about plant hunter Ernest Wilson which I have not yet had time to read but which looks interesting too!
Or contact me and I  can send you a pdf file of the report, size of file is 14.3MB.

The photo album of Ernest Wilson is indeed interesting viewing....larger pdf file , 43 Mb
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 11:27:14 AM by Maggi Young »

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 03:12:17 PM »
Maggi

We are so lucky to have access to both the report and the photo album.  :) :) :)
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal