We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Flowers and Foliage Now / Re: Paeonia 2024
« Last post by Gail on Today at 08:25:26 PM »
My veitchii is not flowering this year, which is my fault as I've let it get overcrowded so must move it. My emodi (from wild-collected seed) has just opened its first flower with several more to come. It does seem quite prone to botrytis and needs watching.
Crocus / Re: Seed to flower
« Last post by Maggi Young on Today at 08:18:55 PM »
Diane, for any species, three years is good, most will take four or five years  to flower. Where there's life - there's hope!
Flowers and Foliage Now / Re: April 2024 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Last post by Leena on Today at 06:41:16 PM »
Leena, I like the white daphne, it looks so much brighter than the ordinary one! The changes of weather may be similar here, though resulting in pics similar to Yours 2 months earlier.

It is also my favourite. We had now almost a week of cold, and today was finally +5. It is amazing how well most plants cope with cold periods, and Daphne is now like there was no cold spell at all.
Flowers and Foliage Now / Re: Paeonia 2024
« Last post by Leena on Today at 06:36:40 PM »
I have another strange thing. My P. emodi grows every year and shows small flower buds, but they do not develop over 1cm in diameter. Sometimes I had issues with frost and tried to cover the plant, but this year there was no frost only temperatures a bit above zero degree. Has anybody any idea why this could be?

Another problem I have is with P. veitchii. I got 3 times plants from a colleague and every time they disappeared/died after 1-2 years. Maybe I should try it with seeds, but where can I get some seeds of P. veitchii; can anybody of you send me some if you have some?

I had the same problem with P.emodi, the buds shrivelled and didn't open, and after one winter I lost the entire plant.
With P.veitchii (and anomala) I have never had any problems or deaths ( daurica types and officinalis types are more difficult here), and I have thought P.veitchii to be the most reliable peony here in my garden.  It grows here mostly in semishade or some sun, but not in dry sunny sandy slope where P.officinalis does well. It grows also well in clay soil where many peonies get botrytis but not weitchii or anomala.
I can send you seeds of P.veitchii next autumn, unfortunately I don't have any left now.
Crocus / Re: Seed to flower
« Last post by Leena on Today at 06:30:14 PM »
I agree that C.tommasinianus is quite fast, 3-4 years here. C.veluchensis hasn't flowered yet and it was sown 2019.
C.abantensis was sown the same year, and the ones I planted outside two years ago, are flowering, another pot outside vanished, and two pots in the greenhouse haven't flowered yet.
Perhaps I don't fertilize them enough in pots, and in the ground they get more nutrients, though also it is riskier (because of winters).
Well, fortunately our deer won't touch narcissus, though they eat most things including garlic.
Do wallabies eat Rhodophiala or just jump on them?
Hi Diane,
The wallaby has eaten the flowers and seedpods of the Rhodophiala as well as flowers of crocus and Narcissus serotinus/obsoletus!
cheers
fermi
April IRG 171:  Featuring orchids of the “Low Countries”   by Gerrit Eijkelenboom and two plant portraits from Zdeněk Řeháček.

Cover photo: Liparis loeselii. By Gerrit Eijkelenboom.

Click here to download the issue - free- :
https://www.srgc.net/documents/irg/240425131536IRG171April%202024.pdf
SRGC Shows Questions and Answers / Re: Perth SRGC Show 2024
« Last post by Maggi Young on Today at 01:05:30 PM »
 The main prizewinning plants can be seen in other photos in this thread. Now, rounding off the major prize awards ...

720806-0
Richard Green won the Bulb Trophy

Stan da Prato won the Alexander Caird Trophy and the L C Middleton Challenge Trophy

And Cyril Lafong won the Joyce Halley Award, the Henry & Margaret Taylor Award, a Certificate of Merit for Pleione x Shantung 'Ducat' and a Certificate of Botanical Interest along with his 65th George Forrest Memorial Medal.
SRGC Shows Questions and Answers / Re: Perth SRGC Show 2024
« Last post by Maggi Young on Today at 01:03:26 PM »
more prize winners ...

Alex Samokhin was awarded a Certificate of Merit  for Pleione 'Shantung'  (planted on bark of Pauwlonia tomentosa) first time showing for him and it was in Section IV.

Graham Catlow was awarded a Certificate of Merit  for Sempervivum altanticum

David Millward retained the E H M Cox Trophy

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal