We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: International Rock Gardener – New SRGC Site Feature  (Read 54815 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: International Rock Gardener – New SRGC Site Feature
« Reply #180 on: June 10, 2015, 08:06:02 PM »
Robbie  also has an orchid coming into flower on that shed roof of his ....

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #181 on: October 24, 2015, 03:28:51 PM »
Invitation for the  Czech - German meeting of the lovers of  alpine plants in the Botanical Garden of the University of Tübingen on November 22, 2015
Assemble from 9.00, Start 10:00 am

From Brigitte Fiebig......
Dear friends of alpine plants,
This year it is our turn to host this meeting and so I am pleased today to invite you to our program in the Botanical Garden of the University of Tübingen.
The presentations will take place on Sunday, 22 November.
We start at 10:00 clock in the main  Botany auditorium (Address: Auf der Morgenstelle 3, 72076 Tübingen), next to the main entrance of the Botanical Garden. Outside the main entrance of the garden you can park for free. You may arrive from  9am.
Two speakers come from the Czech Republic:  Vojtech Holubec and Zdeněk Zvolánek.
They will  report on "Plants of the Pamirs, Central Asia, photos of the last expedition and from 2006" and "Rock gardens in the Czech Karst, experience with heat-resistant rock garden plants". Both presentations will be held in English and translated by Rudolf White.
Dieter Zschummel has travelled this year in  north-eastern Turkey and will talk about his local plant finds and landscape impressions.
Michael Mauser and Brigitte Fiebig  traveled this year  in Iran for the first time, mainly to Dionysia sites to see and save cuttings to take home.

For those of you who want to offer plants for sale or exchange, we can provide tables available. Please enter the space required when booking.
Since we do not have a restaurant in the Botanical Garden,  food and drinks will be organised. To simplify things, it will be assumed that all who register, will have lunch.Please inform when booking if you require a vegetarian  option. . The costs will be allocated and are in addition to the fee for the lectures. Thus, we will charge 25 € for meals and lectures.
For overnight accommodation, please look on the Internet at: http://www.tuebingen-info.de. In addition to our conference Tübingen is well worth a stay or short break.
Please book before 4th  November, so full plans can be made.

I look forward to your visit, interesting lectures, a lively exchange and a pleasant gathering.

Best regards,

Brigitte Fiebig

Contact Information for Login or for questions  :

Brigitte Fiebig, Botanischer Garten der Universität,
Hartmeyerstraße 123,
72076 Tübingen
Tel: 07071-29 72609
Fax: 07071-29 5876
Mail: brigitte.fiebig@uni-tuebingen.de
www.botgarten.uni-tuebingen.de

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #182 on: July 04, 2016, 01:04:13 PM »
IRG 77 - May 2016

Canadian David Sellars takes us to Italy SPAIN (can you tell geography is not my strong point?! :-[ It's the Girod'Italia at the moment- I'm distracted!) ), we visit a fine nursery with  a new rock garden in Czechia and learn of a very young horticulturist, Molly Hall from England with an interest in heathers.

It's a bit of a whizz around the world!

IRG 77  - Click HERE to download

News!
Molly continues with her work with other children and heathers too, of course ....
Last month .... Molly Hall  helped over 100 childres pot up a #heather for Fathers Day @RHSWisley for the #Heathersociety

Molly has also  been  voted RHS Young School Gardener 2016 - KS3 (11-14) Winner for her work on heathers !

Well done Molly!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #183 on: July 29, 2016, 05:27:47 PM »
Here is a photo of Molly Hall  receiving her award  earlier this month as  RHS Young School Gardener 2016 - KS3 (11-14)  for her work on heathers

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #184 on: July 29, 2016, 05:29:01 PM »
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 12:49:53 PM by Maggi Young »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #185 on: September 20, 2016, 12:56:13 PM »
Here is a photo of Molly Hall  receiving her award  earlier this month as  RHS Young School Gardener 2016 - KS3 (11-14)  for her work on heathers

There is a Heather Society Event  this weekend at Wisley..... Heather Society Open Day @RHSWisley Sat 25th Sept. Heather Collection guided tour, free workshops, talk by Molly Hall about her new Erica.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #186 on: October 29, 2021, 11:14:03 PM »
The latest issue of IRG takes me back to a magnificent and magical day I spent a few years ago now, in Tasmania with Marcus Harvey and two friends. Although the places I was able to visit in just that single day were few and not among those mentioned in Alan Ayton's wonderful introduction to the alpine flora of Tasmania, many of the plants I saw were the same as or similar to those mentioned and photographed and of course in many instances reminiscent of our own New Zealand flora. so thank you Alan for your excellent article.

It had a special significance for me because of the superb photos featuring what I know as Richea scoparia. From a different locality from those described in Alan's notes, Marcus had collected seed of this beautiful species. He gave some to me and I grew literally hundreds of tiny plants from it. The fresh seed is like the smallest rhododendron seed, almost weightless and asking for just a light puff of wind to distribute it. It is very fertile or so mine proved to be. A lot  of little plants were given to fellow rock gardeners and on the very day the IRG article was published, my Invercargill friend Dave Toole posted on Facebook, his plant with gorgeous red flowers. It could have come straight from the wilds of Tasmania. I'll go back and read Alan's article again and put a few names into my "Would love to grow this" notebook just in case they turn up on a seed list or in some obscure and out of the way little nursery. Happily, a few are in cultivation already, such as the delightful and to me very precious Herpolirion novae-zelandiae with its tiny, sky-blue lily flowers hugging the ground or a pot surface.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 11:17:03 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #187 on: October 30, 2021, 03:35:45 PM »
Good to hear the latest IRG rang bells with you, Lesley!

IRG 142 for October 2021
 https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2021Oct281635433923IRG_142.pdf

ruweiss

« Reply #188 on: November 01, 2021, 08:36:23 PM »
IRG 142- an optimal editon for my taste, superb pictures of plants, many of them I have never seen
before with an educating text. My sincerest thanks to the autors for the excellent job they have done.
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Redmires

« Reply #189 on: February 25, 2022, 08:10:16 PM »
I'd just like to offer very belated thanks for the feature on the plants of the Tasmanian mountains in IRG 142. Tasmanian flora hold a particular fascination for me (I have a close friend who is now based near Hobart so I'm hoping to visit one day) and I really enjoyed all the details about habitats and wider ecosystems -  they're so different from what we have in Europe and it's nice to have a context for a plant.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #190 on: February 25, 2022, 08:36:16 PM »
I'd just like to offer very belated thanks for the feature on the plants of the Tasmanian mountains in IRG 142. Tasmanian flora hold a particular fascination for me (I have a close friend who is now based near Hobart so I'm hoping to visit one day) and I really enjoyed all the details about habitats and wider ecosystems -  they're so different from what we have in Europe and it's nice to have a context for a plant.
Thanks, Alan's articles are very good, I think.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal