We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: IRG May 2014  (Read 2268 times)

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
IRG May 2014
« on: May 30, 2014, 07:49:32 PM »
What can one say? Gardening is a true art form and occasionally finds its true artists - just lovely to see plants growing and intermingling with such simple beauty, and to learn about tuning in to the garden's climate so brilliantly.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re IRG
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 09:32:28 AM »
Not sure where this note really belongs but I feel it is worth mentioning as it shows that some possibly unlikely people are looking at the Forum and enjoying the contents of different topics, in this case an earlier IRG issue.

A few weeks ago I had an email from a scientist at Massey University, near Palmerston North in the North Island. She asked, on behalf of another scientist whose English is not yet very fluent - he is Russian - if by any chance I had material of Haberlea rhodopensis, which I would be willing to provide in order that he, the 2nd scientist, could carry out DNA testing on that species, apparently in order to isolate the substance or gene which causes haberleas and some others (ramondas for instance) to regenerate so rapidly when watered following extreme drying. My name and the fact I grew the species had been discovered by the scientists when they were Internetting for a source of material, in the IRG which featured some of these plants and my own picture of the white form was included. They had sought material from Germany but our own restrictions on importing plants had made that an impossibility. I was only able to supply the white 'Virginalis' form but that was apparently suitable and in due course I sent off 4 grams of fresh leaves carefully packed in sterile plastic tubes and moistened with damp cotton wool. They arrived safely and I hope will prove useful. This has been my sole contribution to the amazing world of scientific discovery. :) But maybe without the IRG and that photograph, the scientists at Massey would still be looking. H. rhodopensis is grown by others in NZ but not nearly so much as is H. ferdinandi-coburgi, a relatively common plant here.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal