We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula Club  (Read 4900 times)

Giles

• Prince of Primula
Primula Club
« on: October 07, 2008, 08:08:02 PM »
As a somewhat frustrated (and novice) primula grower, I am often in a position where I would like a bit of friendly advice as to cultural tips,
perhaps advice as to from whom I can pinch a few seeds or divisions of a particular plant on my wishlist, but perhaps even more, knowing if there
are any primula fanatics around, either near where I live, or near where I am visiting a friend or a garden, to see how other growers tackle the
many problems us poor primula growers have to contend with.
I've always felt that the existing societies are too auricula focused.
What do you think? What would you like?
I am happy to 'organise' something if you want, or we could keep it entirely here on this thread.
Please voice your opinions/wishes.
I don't know what you would be happy to disclose in such a public forum.....
....I know some people do not want to reveal what they grow/where they live.....
I intend starting this thread merely to canvas your opinions.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Primula Club
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 08:15:00 PM »
Excellent initiative, Giles.  I would suggest "Primula Group " as a title .
If folks are very "shy" they  may always use a psuedonym, but it  will help if they do give their location ( region) and particular interests, eh?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 08:48:11 PM »
Maggi and Giles,

I assume Maggi's suggestion to start something called the Primula Group means it will get it's own (major) topic heading HERE on the forum. I'd hate to have all the advice--which many of us would appreciate--drift off to another site. I'd also hate, a little less, to have ANOTHER group to tune into...

Anyone else?
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 09:38:35 PM »
Dear Carlo,
If you knew how technologically incompetent I was, you would realise there was little chance of that !!

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 11:17:01 PM »
I'm happy with either a Forum-based Group or with something a little further out there, in the growing community like the Crocus Group or more formally, the Frit Group of AGS. Whatever. I'll contribute however I can.

Thanks Giles for this initiative. so many good ideas fall by the wayside because people can't really be bothered.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

johanneshoeller

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2008, 07:01:03 PM »
There is an English yahoo Primula Group:    www.groups.yahoo.com/group/primulas
But no threads at last.
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 09:19:55 PM »
But no threads at last.

I'll bet our friend David N is well aquainted with this site :)

The only thing that REALLY turns me on though, is the blue form of Primula reidii. :'(
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 04:56:15 AM »
While there is very little I could contribute, I too am interested.  Not easy to grow many of the species Primulas etc here because of the heat in summer, but it doesn't stop me trying!  ;)

Great idea.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

David Pilling

• Computer Guru
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2008, 01:48:51 PM »
But no threads at last.

There have been some interesting discussions in that group in the past - see the archives, there are some expert members - however nothing in recent months. Worth thinking about before setting up a new group/list outside this forum.

David Pilling at the seaside in North West England.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2008, 02:17:46 PM »
Quite so, David, It would seem sensible to join in on an existing site..... though your contributions are ever welcome here, naturally!

David Pilling

• Computer Guru
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2008, 02:51:24 PM »
Quite so, David, It would seem sensible to join in on an existing site..... though your contributions are ever welcome here, naturally!

I meant it is worth thinking about the lack of postings to the existing primula group.

I think a discussion would be more likely to thrive in your forum than it would somewhere on the internet where few pass by.

David Pilling at the seaside in North West England.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 03:03:00 PM »

I meant it is worth thinking about the lack of postings to the existing primula group.

I think a discussion would be more likely to thrive in your forum than it would somewhere on the internet where few pass by.

Oh! I see... I had got wong end of  the stick! Sorry

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 03:08:19 PM »
You're absolutely right David - many Yaho groups start up promisingly but die down soon there after...  ::)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2008, 07:39:10 PM »
It's a pity there seems so little interest,
..but you know where to find me if you want me.

kalle-k.dk

• Karl Kristensen's Garden
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2008, 06:53:55 PM »
I am a member of the Danish Primula Club www.primulaklub.dk they publish a magazine four times a year. There are good pictures and good information about Primula, but I am sorry to say that must all text is in Danish. In the last magazine wrote some members about how they grow their Primula. I had written about how I cultivate the rare and often difficult Asian Primula e.g. Petiolares. Some of them I have planted beside my basin, where the soil is damp and cool. One of the main growth conditions for Petiolares Primula is they must grow on a cold place. They grow best in shade and the soil I use is peat mixed with good humus of old fir needles and old beech leaves. I grow also rare Asian Primula elsewhere in my garden and here I have make some beds which is 30-35 cm. deep. There is basin foil at the bottom, with a 10-12 cm. edge. On the foil is a layer of fine gravel and then peat, old fir needles and beech leaves. I also use fine gravel in the soil mix. At the top of the beds there are large rocks, old tree roots and peat blocks, not only for ornamental purposes, but also because the rock and peat blocks provides coolness to the roots. The beds are always damp in the bottom. A Danish summer can be very hot and dry, but I have never lost one of my rare Primula in one of my special beds. In winter I protect my Petiolares Primula against rain, with a plastic roof.
My Primula bracteosa has been in flower since 1 November.
Karl Kristensen
Denmark. www.kalle-k.dk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal