We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2007/2008 seed exchange  (Read 21274 times)

dominique

• River Dweller
  • passionated by bulbs since 1978,
Re: 2007/2008 seed exchange
« Reply #75 on: January 14, 2008, 12:07:52 AM »
Thank you David
do

Pontoux France

Linda_Foulis

• Beautiful Blooms
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2008, 03:57:11 AM »
Did anyone else get #1957 Hippeastrum elwesii?  I don't think it is what it says it is.  ???
H. elwesii is not on any of the species lists nor is it Veronica Read's book.  I can't confirm it but the seed more resembles an albuca seed or maybe cyrtanthus?  Also it has germinated much faster than any hippeastrum seed I've ever started, in only 4 days. 

Very odd, any ideas?
Linda Foulis
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
Zone 3 gardener
Head honcho at Beautiful Blooms

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #77 on: January 22, 2008, 01:09:57 PM »
Did anyone else get #1957 Hippeastrum elwesii?  I don't think it is what it says it is.  ???
H. elwesii is not on any of the species lists nor is it Veronica Read's book.  I can't confirm it but the seed more resembles an albuca seed or maybe cyrtanthus?  Also it has germinated much faster than any hippeastrum seed I've ever started, in only 4 days. 
Very odd, any ideas?

Hippeastrum elwesii is a synonym for Rhodophiala elwesii.  All (I think?) South American Hippeastrums were split into Rhodophiala a few years ago.  Here's a link with another link at the bottom of the first section to a posting by Alberto Castillo

http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/Rhodophiala

I hope Alberto will be able to give us more information now he is on this forum  ;)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008, 01:19:38 PM by Diane Clement »
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2008, 07:25:09 PM »
Got the second tranche of my Seed Exchange requests this morning-wonderful. Again many thanks to all those invoved in what must be a difficult logistical exercise.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #79 on: January 23, 2008, 07:42:46 PM »
Me too David.  I even got one or two of the random ones that I had sent in lol.  I'll pass them on to others in our Belford Group!  Yes, yes, must be a lot of work.  Now I must sow them all to make it all worth their while.  I've already sown 80 packets of seed, with more still to do, before these arrived.  Lots of work ahead of me now... and it won't be long until spring starts to happen.  Must get my skates on.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Martijn

• Kwekerij ´De Reuvenkamp´
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2008, 05:54:59 PM »
Just received the my first choice...

I was very late (after closing date) but nevertheless received many very nice items like Penstemon uintahensis and Edraianthus horvatii....search for pictures a realise what you may have missed.. ;D

What a very good service!

Martijn

Martijn Jansen, Tonden, The Netherlands
www.dereuvenkamp.nl

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2008, 07:31:02 PM »
Hello, I have received the surplus list today. I am extremely happy and gratefull!!

Thank you for all this hard work!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 10:42:48 PM by Maggi Young »

Ezeiza

« Reply #82 on: January 31, 2008, 10:15:11 PM »
Hi Diane:

Well, that introduction was an explanation on how you "split" the genus Rhodophiala according to their cultivation requirements.

They are right in that Veronica does not include it in Hippeastrum because here in South America we regard it as a "good" genus different from Hippeastrum.

A short description on the climate for R. elwesii in the wild: first rains in autumn, when it produces the new roots but no leaves, then snow falls and covers the region until the spring defrost , then some spring rains when the plants is in flower. And a dry mild summer. Even tho days can be quite hot at night it is pretty cool.

It seems I have been describing the cycle for tulips, don't you think? Well, very similar. The foliage is hardy to zone 8 but bulbs may not be so and give some nasty surprise. Exposure is in full sun and grows in sandy gritty hillsides.

I am sure it can be grown well in England and would take well to any region that lets it follow the natural pattern described above. Rhodophialas are not the fastest growing plants in the galaxy but are extremely long lived. Something very important is to plant the bulbs as deep as you can, best if at the very bottom of the pot.

Hope this is of help..

Regards

Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

grannysmith

• Gardening is the best medicine
« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2008, 10:45:47 PM »
I was wondering if everyone in Ausie has got their main seeds. I havent received mine as yet.  :(
Marjorie Smith, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia.

kaydale

• Bulb Fanatic
« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2008, 11:04:24 PM »
I got my main lot of seed about three weeks ago!  I also got my surplus seed last week.  Two friends here on the NW coast have both got their main seed, but one hasn't got her surplus yet but AQIS could have held it up.  I hope you get your seed soon  :)
From the best part of Australia
North West Tasmania

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2008, 11:16:35 PM »
Marj,

Got mine back on the 11th of Jan.
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

grannysmith

« Reply #86 on: February 13, 2008, 01:47:18 AM »
I know of others who have had it for weeks too, thats why I was wondering. OI am glad you got yours Rob and Kaydale (is that Kaydale Lodge?) It makes me feel real good. :(

kaydale

• Bulb Fanatic
« Reply #87 on: February 13, 2008, 03:38:07 AM »
Marjorie, yes it's Kaydale Lodge :)  I hope you get your seed soon!
Lesley
From the best part of Australia
North West Tasmania

grannysmith

« Reply #88 on: February 27, 2008, 12:55:21 AM »
Joy O Joy!!! Seed finally arrived today and only minus 3 pkts to quarantine, so that a bonus. Thanks so much to all involved. It is so exciting to get them, now comes the planting. ;D

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2008, 01:06:44 AM »
Oh, Marj, that is good news. Happy sowing!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal