We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2007/2008 seed exchange  (Read 21290 times)

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
Re: 2007/2008 seed exchange
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2007, 10:56:36 PM »
Great thanks to the donors and the people working to make this wonderful thing happen :)
I enjoy reading in the seed list and compare names from the forum with that I wanted and then change and rechange.

Now to my question which of the following seed could be sown in pots outside under roof if need at the time of arrival of the seeds?
It will be in Portugal with temps 10C as average temp with 5C as night temp and 15C as day temp.
Aquilegia
Colchicum
Crocus
Cyclamen
Habaranthus
Helleborus
Hepatica
Iris
Lachenalia
Morea
Paeonia
Primula
Sparaxis
Zephyranthes

I understand that it may vary within a genus but hope to get a general answer so that I do not get seed that I will just destroy due to lack of proper growing conditions.
I also wonder if the germination of the above are good or if it takes a long time and only a few will germinate.
Sorry for the big question but I have tried to look around here but people are using so different techniques it is hard to get what can be done.

Kind regards from a sunny Portugal
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2007, 11:22:43 PM »
Joakim,

In Portugal I'd put them ALL in pots outside. Some of those you listed need a cool period, none will suffer from being outside in cooler temperatures of YOUR winter.

Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2007, 08:17:56 AM »
great thanks Carlo
I was thinking some might need to be sown inside for a time to get started before going out but now I can happily ask for the seeds and see what happens. :)

Carlo are You interested in public gardens even if they are not alpine? I could tell a bit about the ones I have been to but do not know it they are on any top 100 list but they might be best in the area. For example Lund, Sweden Aarhus Denmark and a few in Coimbra Portugal.

Kind regards
Joakim
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 08:42:28 AM by Joakim B »
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2007, 10:22:55 AM »
I think public gardens would be a great new topic for the forum. I've got a list of public rock gardens on my website that Maggi mentioned here a while ago, but we needn't restrict our discussion to rock gardens.

I've seen several in Portugal that are very interesting--and many of our forumists seem to travel (more extensively than I).  I'm sure a lively discussion will result...
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2007, 08:43:29 AM »
My big problem with the SRGC seed list is that I want to have it all. Obviously I have to find the most desirable sixteen. Then I have to decide which are the second most desirable numbers and put them in as extra numbers. Then I have to somehow decide upon any surplus numbers.
The best way for me to do this would be to put the whole list into Excel (or some other similar program). I could then look through the whole list and put a rating for each one that I am interested in and sort the list.
This would facilitate the creation of a “short list” enormously. I do it this way for lists that I can easily convert into Word or Excel.
The list is available on the web but as pdf file. This is a type of file that is intentionally designed with the purpose of preventing this helpful use of the data in the file. It is possible to use OCR-software to unravel the mysteries of the pdf file and turn it into Excel, Word or whatever. However, the seed list is unusually awkward for this procedure. It is not impossible, however so the idea that pdf protects copyrights or whatever against evil-doers is futile.   
If the Distribution form would be available as Word-file it would be easy to fill it out with clearly printed figures and any corrections would be easy and free from smudge.
So:
Please, please:  Do not use the pdf file type for the seed list on the web and please give the form(s) as Word file(s)
The list is most likely created in another form anyway so why complicate matters by converting to pdf?
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you. 
Göte
(And the obvious thank you to all who work with the list)

Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2007, 10:17:15 AM »
Göte, it should be no problem for you to convert the pdf file into word or excel by copy and paste!
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #66 on: December 29, 2007, 10:23:32 AM »
My Main Order arrived in this morning's post and I only missed out on one packet. I'm very pleased, and I was pleased with the replacement packet as well.

Sincere thanks to Alan Hayes, Stuart Pawley (whose notes in the Seed Distribution List brighten my Novembers!) and to all the unknown packers and dispatchers, your efforts are very much appreciated. Sincere thanks too to all those who donate seed.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2007, 12:16:59 PM »
Congratulations, David! I had no idea the Gang had started on the distribution, I was told it would all be taking place in January......there must be early birds working the late (year) shift! Bless 'em! :D :) :D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #68 on: December 29, 2007, 01:07:50 PM »
Well done everyone!  My seeds arrived this morning and all but one are those I ordered too.  I'm thrilled, yet again!  Happy New Year (and seed sowing) everyone.  Mine are now in the fridge.  Got a trug for Christmas and have filled it with mole hill soil to be used with my mix when I sow my seed.
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2008, 06:31:57 AM »
Will's seeds arrived this week but mine haven't! Probably still sitting on a desk in the Quarantine Office!  Everything we chose was on the allowed list so there shouldn't be any problems though!
Thanks to all the Seedex Team!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Cgull49

• Rob Stuart
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2008, 03:07:52 PM »
I received my seeds yesterday and got all but one of my first choices. As mentioned previously by others I'm quite happy with the replacement packet.  Thanks again to the SeedEx team.  I appreciate all your efforts.

I received a packet of Lewisia redivivia which I requested but the packet seems to be empty - I haven't opened it yet.  Is there someone that is familiar with the seed of this plant that can describe the seed?  Is it very small and relatively transparent?  Did the seed escape from the packet, although there was nothing I saw in the bubble pack? Or, was the seed not put into this packet in the first place?  No action is required - I'm just interested to find out what may have happened?

Looking forward to sowing my newly arrived species.

Rob
Rob Stuart - Ottawa, Ontario Canada - z5

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2008, 04:34:29 PM »
Hi Rob

Lewisia Rediviva seed should be almost black, quite shine, and round, measuring approx. 1 mm.
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Cgull49

• Rob Stuart
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2008, 06:07:51 PM »
Luc thanks.  I'll check, but I'm not holding my breath.

Rob
Rob Stuart - Ottawa, Ontario Canada - z5

dominique

• River Dweller
  • passionated by bulbs since 1978,
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2008, 09:34:18 AM »
As new one at the SRGC, it is the first time I participe to seed exchange. I have received the 16 seeds taxons I had asked, but not those in supplement (for 6€). I suppose they come after all the first choices are send or is it an error?
do

Pontoux France

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2008, 09:46:54 AM »
As new one at the SRGC, it is the first time I participe to seed exchange. I have received the 16 seeds taxons I had asked, but not those in supplement (for 6€). I suppose they come after all the first choices are send or is it an error?

Supplementary choices come later.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal