We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pulsatilla 2013  (Read 80025 times)

Susann

Re: Pulsatilla 2013
« Reply #270 on: April 25, 2013, 08:44:41 PM »
(Attachment Link)

Oops, I've just realised we have mentioned  P. magadensis several times in the forum - when the name should be Pulsatilla magadanensis

Sorry Maggi, and thank you. My mistake, of course it is magadanensis, as it is from Magadan in Far east.
The fastest way to reach your goal is to take one step at a time

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #271 on: April 25, 2013, 09:07:33 PM »
The great thing about pulsatillas must be that you need to see them in nature to really understand them (a little bit). So of these in my garden I am now only sure about two - P. vulgaris and vernalis! P. ambigua came from Julian Sutton (Desirable Plants nursery in Devon), so that's my provenance of it (it's a nice plant anyway), and P. halleri, I think was seed grown from a plant in Richard Bird's garden. So now I am back to being a complete neophyte about these plants - but that P. rubra has to be the most stunning colour I've ever seen!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #272 on: April 26, 2013, 11:21:21 AM »
Phantastic images from everyone. 8)

I was off 1 week business trip and missed the flowering of my P. halleri ssp. rhodopaea :'( 
Buds were visible since 2 months but it was too cold to open.
During my absence day temperatures went up to +27°C. Too fast and over... ???

2 other Pulsatilla images for now...
Best wishes
Armin

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #273 on: April 26, 2013, 11:28:19 AM »
Armin,  the prospect of 27 degrees C  seems very distant here - right now it is just 7 degrees .
I can quite understand why your flowers came and went so fast in such temperatures.

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Jozef Lemmens

• Alpines, the Gems of the Mountains
« Reply #274 on: April 26, 2013, 11:46:32 AM »
This is a J. Halda collection from N-Tadjikistan ( JH-244/06 ). Don't kill me if the name is wrong  ;)

Pulsatilla amoena

395396-0   395398-1
Jozef Lemmens - Belgium   Androsace World   -  Alpines, the Gems of the Mountains

Darren

« Reply #275 on: April 26, 2013, 12:54:10 PM »
That is a wonderful colour Jozef!
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Susann

« Reply #276 on: April 26, 2013, 01:02:41 PM »
Josef, beautiful pictures, but... it does not look like what would be a "P amoena" ( if it was a valid name) P amoena is just a description for a
 P vulgaris hybrid, sometimes refeered to as P vulgaris ssp germanica. Neither of the names are accepted by Flora Europea. It is a very beautiful plant that you have got. To me it looks a lot like P campanella.
Today is the big packing day, as I am leaving tomorrow. But I will of course have a look if something has happened to the P magadanensis both today and tomorrow morning.
See some of you soon, and for the rest of you; we really wish you would have been able to join us in Tábor and we will miss you!
The fastest way to reach your goal is to take one step at a time

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #277 on: April 26, 2013, 04:04:47 PM »
Thank you Armin for sharing seed back in 2010 of Pulsatilla vulgaris 'Rote Gloche' (Red Bell?).  I marked a spot in the garden, and sowed the seed directly.  Last year during the summer rabbits ate the plants down to mere stubs, but obviously they have recovered.  This year they flowered for the first time, such large flowers of a lovely red color.  The two photos taken 2 days apart, a week ago, the plants still looking good.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Jozef Lemmens

• Alpines, the Gems of the Mountains
« Reply #278 on: April 26, 2013, 06:00:20 PM »
Another Halda collection (Mt. Suukanskaya/Caucasus - JH-118/'97).
This is a garden seedling. The original plant is smaller (more compact), but isn’t flowering yet.

Pulsatilla georgica

395454-0   395456-1
Jozef Lemmens - Belgium   Androsace World   -  Alpines, the Gems of the Mountains

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #279 on: April 26, 2013, 07:04:25 PM »
Armin,  the prospect of 27 degrees C  seems very distant here - right now it is just 7 degrees .
I can quite understand why your flowers came and went so fast in such temperatures.

It is a pity for the flowers but it was amazing to see how quick nature changed from brown/grey when I left to green when I arrived home :D
I'm sure your 7°C will be only an interim appearance ;) :D
Best wishes
Armin

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #280 on: April 26, 2013, 07:07:06 PM »
Thank you Armin for sharing seed back in 2010 of Pulsatilla vulgaris 'Rote Gloche' (Red Bell?).  I marked a spot in the garden, and sowed the seed directly.  Last year during the summer rabbits ate the plants down to mere stubs, but obviously they have recovered.  This year they flowered for the first time, such large flowers of a lovely red color.  The two photos taken 2 days apart, a week ago, the plants still looking good.

Wow! Congratulations! 8) ;D
May I ask for some seed, please? I lost mine...
Best wishes
Armin

TheOnionMan

« Reply #281 on: April 27, 2013, 01:22:48 AM »
Seriously Armin, you lost yours, oh that's a shame. :(

I will most certainly collect the seed and happy to share.  The only thing I have to watch out for is that dang phantom bunny in my yard, I never see it, only the damage done.  I read a tip, about using a pump spray bottle, and mixing hot tabasco sauce (1 tablespoon per gallon of water), then nightly spraying on plants favored by rabbits; I may have to do that, as they certainly demonstrated their munching love for this plant last year.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #282 on: April 27, 2013, 10:16:26 AM »
The mental picture of a stealthy rabbit  sneaking into Mark's garden  to munch his favourite plants is not a happy one ....but it brings to mind something that I have often wondered about in the past -  how on earth do critters find such furry plants palatable? 
To eat those plants that have very hairy, furry or wooly foliage would seem to me to be akin to me chomping on cotton wool - that is to say, both unpleasant and downright tricky to chew, let alone swallow!
How do these critters manage it?  ???
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

TheOnionMan

« Reply #283 on: April 28, 2013, 05:14:35 AM »
The mental picture of a stealthy rabbit  sneaking into Mark's garden  to munch his favourite plants is not a happy one ....but it brings to mind something that I have often wondered about in the past -  how on earth do critters find such furry plants palatable? 
To eat those plants that have very hairy, furry or wooly foliage would seem to me to be akin to me chomping on cotton wool - that is to say, both unpleasant and downright tricky to chew, let alone swallow!
How do these critters manage it?  ???

Easy to comprehend, it's like eating cotton candy, or as they say in the UK, like eating Candy Floss, pure confection.  :)
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #284 on: April 28, 2013, 08:56:11 AM »
One of the most extraordinary plants that rabbits love is berberis! (mind you the soft young shoots). And, as I expect Mark has also found, they like epimediums too - plus the rather rough leaves of brunnera, the nice new leaves of Anemone nemorosa, a touch of crocus flower... they are gourmets when it comes to plants, much as we are!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal