We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pulsatilla 2013  (Read 80028 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Pulsatilla 2013
« Reply #120 on: January 23, 2013, 03:43:20 PM »
Here are  Trond's resized photos, they were above the new 200Kb limit.

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #121 on: January 23, 2013, 09:10:36 PM »
Thank you Maggi! I see I haven't done my homework properly. I only shrunk the pictures a little more than I used to to ::)
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #122 on: January 23, 2013, 09:20:37 PM »
Not to worry, I was doing the same thing myself last week, Trond  :-[
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Susann

« Reply #123 on: January 24, 2013, 08:22:19 PM »
Beautiful pictures Trond! And the plants seem to be golden haired as the ones from the seeds I got from Norway. The name of the place of the origin of seeds slightly, perhaps very slightly,  remainds of Jötul? ( Excellent Norwegian cast iron stoves for those who does not know it). Can you remember if the color of the revers of the flowers was that pinkish? I have only seen it more like violet or violet-brownish. Or might it be the camera?

I will add some more pictures, of varied origin and character. (I will soon have to go to a big Pulsatilla collection if I wish to contribute with more pictures in this thread.) I am still hoping that someone might have experience and photos of P ajanensis, or beautiful P tatewakii? But all pictures and experiences are interesting to read about or look at.

I begin with a beautiful garden hybrid. It is not a P aurea or P alpina ssp apiifolia as one might think at a first quick glimpse. My thoughts goes to P alpina ssp alpina f flavescens contributing with leaves form and color of flower? The species is very variable in itself, but these flowers are really upright and with a very round and nice shape. I think it differs too much from what is expected? Also, the plant is taller than what I have seen in P albana. ( No, Olga, I have of course not seen it in nature)

Next one is a P albana ssp albana, one of my favorites. The absolute favorite among the European species. I know I have shown a close-up of a flower just to open before. But this time it is a study of a plant, isn´t it beautiful with the different colors of the flowers? The seed is from 2000 m somewhere in the extent Caucasus. It is not of much information, I know.

This one is the Swedish endemic from the island of Gotland, a ssp to P vulgaris. P vulgaris ssp gotlandica. The seed is wild-collected. I am sorry I have no good picture of the whole plant. Perhaps someone else have? Gotland, in the Baltic sea,  is mostly calcareous. And does not have any gnats, which is good not only for us but also for manyIislandic horses that develops allergics to gnats when arriving to Sweden. (That was the strange fact of the day)

Finally some leaves; first of the Swedish P patens, very palmate as you can see.  The flower is always dark violet in Sweden. Wild collected seed from the province of Ångermanland.

And second leaves of two differnt forms of P patens collected somewhere in Central Asia. The leaves to the right are sometimes refeered to as P patens ssp (or f) trisecta.

The fastest way to reach your goal is to take one step at a time

Hoy

« Reply #124 on: January 24, 2013, 09:10:49 PM »
Beautiful pictures Trond! And the plants seem to be golden haired as the ones from the seeds I got from Norway. The name of the place of the origin of seeds slightly, perhaps very slightly,  remainds of Jötul? ( Excellent Norwegian cast iron stoves for those who does not know it). Can you remember if the color of the revers of the flowers was that pinkish? I have only seen it more like violet or violet-brownish. Or might it be the camera?

Thank you, Susann! Your pictures aren't bad either! I have taken a close look at them!

I did visit Gotland some years ago but too late for the Pulsatilla display. However we did see lots of orchids ;)

My plants are from the Dovre area. Although P vernalis (mogop) was very common in the area where I have my mountain cabin the species disappeared several years ago due to picking. I have started reintroducing it on our acreage where they are grown as natural as possible. I think the pictures show the true colour of the flowers.

Maybe the origin of your plants is Jotunheimen? I have seen mogop there (it's a huge mountainous area though).

here is where I try to increase the population of mogop:

Natalia

« Reply #125 on: February 06, 2013, 01:50:23 PM »
Hoy, Susan, beautiful plants!Some more photos

I collected seeds in expeditions:
Pulsatilla ambiqua

Pulsatilla dahurica

and well-known cultivar - Pulsatilla Rote Gloke
Natalia
Russia, Moscow region, zone 3
temperature:min -48C(1979);max +43(2010)

Susann

« Reply #126 on: February 06, 2013, 04:55:04 PM »
Oh, I am so happy that someone has brought life into this thread again!

But may I please ask you -without wanting to offend you- are you sure your P dahurica is a true one? I have only seen them with rather small flowers that are whitish inside and with slightly different involucrate leaves? ( Not so pinnate). But I have not seen them in wild of course, but I have got wild collected seeds in various occations and the seedlings has all been looking similar to each other? However, Dr Alexandra Berkutenko has in her book of Magadan a picture of a plant with a very dark oblong flower and very “thin” involucrate leaves, claiming it is a P dahurica. But I have never seen plants like that in reliable sites in internet or anywhere in the floras? Is there anyone who knows more about their variability in wild? Olga for example, have you gone into hibernating?

I add some pictures of the form that I have come to know. The first image is not mine; it is from an official Chinese site.

This one and the bud below are from different seed collections in wild, but they look similar to each other.

Natalia

« Reply #127 on: February 06, 2013, 07:17:57 PM »
Susann, I understand, it is difficult to you to find a reliable source in the Internet. I can offer you quite worthy Russian site - plantarium - http://www.plantarium.ru/page/view/item/30897.html
You can see that the Pulsatilla daurica has variations.

And also the photo from a site the nature of Baikal, defined by biologist Nadezhda Stepantsova, it is the expert on Siberian Pulsatilla.
http://nature.baikal.ru/phs/ph.shtml?id=63851&ref=phs/plant
Natalia

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #128 on: February 07, 2013, 10:45:23 AM »
Is there anyone who knows more about their variability in wild? Olga for example, have you gone into hibernating?

I add some pictures of the form that I have come to know. The first image is not mine; it is from an official Chinese site.

Susann Chinese P. dahurica looks true. Of course it is variable and sometimes can be confused with P. cernua. And do not forget about natural hybridizing.
Olga Bondareva, Moscow, Zone 3

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #129 on: February 07, 2013, 10:49:12 AM »
...And since you want a brieth of live.  :)
Seeds of this pulsatilla I received as P. ambigua f. alba. As you can see it is not alba and of corse it is not ambigua. Which species could it be?

Olga Bondareva, Moscow, Zone 3

Susann

« Reply #130 on: February 07, 2013, 01:18:08 PM »
Beautiful picture, Olga! One wanst to put it in a crib and treat it as the treasure it is, not letting it open more. It is really hairy. Could P halleri ssp taurica be involved? Not if it was Russian wild collected seeds of course.

Thank you  for the links Nathalia. I will translate the one of the expert you mentioned. As to Plantarium I think it is like this? A forum where people who knows a lot and people who knows a little less posts their photos? So I think one has to be a little careful using the pictures, or am I wrong?
And do not forget about natural hybridizing.
Yes,  I understand that there are such thing as natural hybridizing, but  then it is a hybrid. I was wondering if the species really vary that much so Natalias and Dr Berkutenkos plants surely are true to the species natural variation? I do not want to offend anyone, I just want to understand the species as much as possible. Out of all descriptions I have red and reliable photos I have seen these are the only ones sticking out that much  this far?

Natalia

« Reply #131 on: February 07, 2013, 03:28:28 PM »
Susann, I will explain the situation - Plantarium - online qualifier, non comercial project. Yes, pictures taken mostly by amateurs. In the definition of plants involved professional botanists and knowledgeable amateurs.
  Such a large number of defined images Pulsatilla growing in our country, you will not find anywhere else on the Internet.
And the professionalism - if based on Chinese Photo - your plant Pulsatilla daurika. But look at botanical drawings of leaves - I hung out them at the beginning of a topic -  leaf of your Pulsatilla is rather similar to the sheet Pulsatilla cernua.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 05:02:57 PM by Natalia »
Natalia

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #132 on: February 07, 2013, 04:15:34 PM »

Thank you  for the links Nathalia. I will translate the one of the expert you mentioned. As to Plantarium I think it is like this?

Susann

Do you use Google translate?  I went to Natalia's links and they were automatically translated.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Hoy

« Reply #133 on: February 07, 2013, 04:28:48 PM »
Thanks for the links, Natalia!

I fell in love with this buttercup yellow pulsatilla (P aurea). Do anybody know of a seed source?
http://www.plantarium.ru/page/view/item/30892.html

Natalia

« Reply #134 on: February 07, 2013, 04:32:39 PM »
Trond, this plant in the nature, the picture is taken near Mount Elbrus, the settlement of Dombai.
Natalia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal