We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pulsatilla 2013  (Read 79944 times)

Susann

Pulsatilla 2013
« on: January 14, 2013, 04:33:03 PM »
I can not find any Pulsatilla thread? So, as a newbie I start one showing some beatius of the genus

Pulsatilla vernalis with white hair, origin of seeds Norway

and this Pulsatilla halleri ssp slavica isnīt too bad, is it?

some P vulgaris seedheads. It is really a genus that you can enjoy for a long time during the season

this is a P vulgaris-hybrid "Heiler". I wish I could get this colour more often, but the seeds do not listen to me...

And finally in this post one of my favorites, it is so ugly that it is beautiful. Pulsatilla albana ssp albana
The fastest way to reach your goal is to take one step at a time

Susann

Re: Pulsatilla 2013
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 04:45:25 PM »
Sorry, I can not resist to add some more pictures. My friends knows better than bring up the subject Pulsatilla because there is no way to make me stop talking. But right now, I do not see any stop-signs?

I think it is a Pulsatilla bungeana ssp bungeana, correct me if I am wrong.

More Pulsatilla halleri ssp slavica. Can you understand there are people who does not like Pulsatillas?

Yes, this Pulsatilla patens ssp flavescens came out really beautiful. I wish they all would. Or actually, I think they all do!

A gold-haired Pulsatilla vulgaris bud. I do not know the origin of the seeds but would really like to know if the white-haired and golden-haired appear in the same populations or if it is a geographical difference? Is there anyone who knows?

and finally, this is something very special, folks. A Pulsatilla x taraxacum, I am sure it is the only one you have seen this far? I wonder if it is fertil? ( P albana ssp violacea)

Would you like to see more? Why donīt you join me in my Pulsatilla expedition in 2014? The route will be Kazakstan, southern Altai-area, Mongolia, Baikal-area and finally Hokkaido. You are welcome to join for part of the trip or the whole time. I plan to be away for 6 weeks, perhaps a little more. I will son post an ad with more information at "travel".
The fastest way to reach your goal is to take one step at a time

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 05:41:03 PM »
Sorry, I can not resist to add some more pictures. My friends knows better than bring up the subject Pulsatilla because there is no way to make me stop talking. But right now, I do not see any stop-signs?
You won't get any stop signs from here Susan, that Pulsatilla patens ssp flavescens is a lovely picture.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 06:54:29 PM »
Fantastic photos Susann, thank you for posting. They are all beautiful - I do not agree that albana is ugly; looks as soft as a kitten. Love the one with golden hairs and the Taraxacum hybrid is delightful, do wish they would hybridise like that in my garden!
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 07:41:05 PM »
Your plants - and pictures - are lovely Susann. I don't know any alpine gardener who doesn't love pulsatillas, so any more you have to show us will be very welcome. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 08:28:12 PM »
They are completely more-ish! Do you have any photos of P. turczaninovii? This is one I have grown and lost but remember as being particularly delightful.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 08:51:59 PM »
Susann,

great images - I'm a lover of hairy Pulsatillas too. :D

Pulsatilla patens ssp flavescens is one of my favourites. I had some seedlings but lost most of them by last February black frosts. Hope for a better growth of the survivors.
P. vernalis also does not thrive very well in my calcecarous soil and I lost it after 2 years growing.
P. turczaninovii thrives since a couple of years but lacks of flowers. Any hinds?

P. vulgaris, P. halleri (ssp. slavica+rhodopaea) and P. pratensis ssp. nigricans grow very well in my low land conditions. :D

I'm glad to see more of your images and I'm excited to post my own picturs in spring.
Best wishes
Armin

Botanica

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 08:59:35 PM »
Very nice Fantastic photos Susann and the Taraxacum hybrid is strange !
I love Pulsatilla but i have only two plants of that in garden.

Roma

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 10:34:28 PM »
Lovely Pulsatilla pictures, Susann.

Especially for you, Tim  -  Pulsatilla turczaninovii in Gothenburg Botanic Garden in May last year.  It is a gorgeous shade of blue.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 08:09:17 AM »
This topic is like a call to spring to come.  :) Thank you Susann! May I continue?

Pulsatilla turczaninovii is a species closely related to P. ambigua. Sometimes people confuse them. P. turczaninovii leaves are tripinnate (divided at three levels). 

This is true P. turczaninovii

It's leaf is the biggest at this photo

And this is P. ambigua

Olga Bondareva, Moscow, Zone 3

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 08:11:52 AM »
And other Pulsatillas.

Pulsatilla patens Moscow area

P. flavescens

P. multifida

Olga Bondareva, Moscow, Zone 3

Melvyn Jope

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 10:45:59 AM »
Fabulous photos Olga, I particularly like the second photo of P.turczaninovii, lovely plant.

Roma

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 12:26:36 PM »
Beautiful pictures, Olga.  So the Pulsatilla turczaninovii in Gothenburg Botanic Garden is really Pulsatilla ambigua.  Botanic gardens do not always have the correct name on the label. 
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 12:34:33 PM »
Olga and Roma, thank you so much for those photos - now I know more and they are truly exquisite. P. flavescens is a great beauty that I have only learned about on this website.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Darren

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 12:47:27 PM »
All lovely but like the others I'm especially taken with flavescens.

Pulsatilla vernalis is a source of extreme frustration here. It is my favourite alpine but I can't flower it no matter what regime I try or whatever the source of the plants. Buds form but always abort just as they start to grow in late winter.

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal