We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Syneilesis  (Read 1409 times)

kalle-k.dk

• Karl Kristensen's Garden
Syneilesis
« on: December 11, 2012, 06:30:19 PM »
I'm writing an article for a Danish society about Syneilesis a genus in the Asteraceae family and I can see in Flora of China that there are 7 species. I know only the name of 6 species: aconitifolia, australis, hayatae, subglabrata, intermedia and palmata. I need all 7 names in my article so I hope there is someone who can help.
Karl Kristensen
Denmark. www.kalle-k.dk

ronm

Re: Syneilesis
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 06:38:56 PM »
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 06:56:42 PM by ronm »

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 08:14:59 PM »
I'm writing an article for a Danish society about Syneilesis a genus in the Asteraceae family and I can see in Flora of China that there are 7 species. I know only the name of 6 species: aconitifolia, australis, hayatae, subglabrata, intermedia and palmata. I need all 7 names in my article so I hope there is someone who can help.

The Plant list says there's only six species:

http://www.theplantlist.org/tpl/search?q=Syneilesis
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

kalle-k.dk

• Karl Kristensen's Garden
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 05:51:31 PM »
Ronm, Mark and Diane your help and answer was what I look for Thank You
Ronm you gave me the name of the species that I don't know, Mark and Diane gave me information as say one of the species now is a synonym for one of the other species, but on the Plant List I can see they say that the Genus Syneilesis is in the family Compositae, I mean it is Asteraceae, is there something I don't understand?
Karl Kristensen
Denmark. www.kalle-k.dk

julian

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 07:09:04 PM »
Same family, different name. A few old family names which date back to Linnaeus were not based on the name of a genus in that family - Compositae was an example. Nowadays this has been tidied up, and pretty much everyone uses the new name, Asteraceae.
Julian Sutton
in Totnes, Devon, England

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2013, 11:07:22 AM »
I wonder why we need to tidy up. There is no practical reason to change Composite to Asteraceae. or Umbellifere to Apiaceae. Botany is not mathematics. Suppose that someone finds that the genus Aster belongs to Rosaceae Do we change Asteraceae to Rosaceae and what do we then call Rosaceae? It is not very likely but considering some recent changes it is not absolutely impossible.
If we want to tidy up perhaps we should call the man 'von Linné'. Linnaeus is the latinized form used before he was made a nobleman. To call him Linnaeus (unless we are using Latin) is the same as to drop Dame or Sir  from UK names.
Cheers
Göte   
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2013, 02:23:29 PM »
Linnaeus is the latinized form used before he was made a nobleman. To call him Linnaeus (unless we are using Latin) is the same as to drop Dame or Sir  from UK names.

Those of us who are citizens not subjects can be stubborn in that regard Göte, not out of disrespect for the person but rather an unwillingness to accept the idea of ennoblement ;) ;D
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Gerry Webster

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2013, 02:57:32 PM »
Those of us who are citizens not subjects can be stubborn in that regard Göte, not out of disrespect for the person but rather an unwillingness to accept the idea of ennoblement ;) ;D
Likewise those of us who are (unwilling) subjects.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2013, 06:38:15 PM »
Does this also extend to  Dr hc??  And professor? And holder of the various medals issued to your fellow citicens?
Cheers
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 09:17:52 AM »
Does this also extend to  Dr hc??  And professor? And holder of the various medals issued to your fellow citicens?
Cheers
Göte

We've had to make do with sending the odd writer to Stockholm  ;D ;D ;D
Of course sports stars and celebrities get endless television hours and m2 of newsprint.
Humble academics hardly rate a 'Dr' nowadays, and only within their ivory tower.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal