We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: anemone japonica seed looks like this  (Read 1545 times)

David Pilling

• Computer Guru
anemone japonica seed looks like this
« on: January 08, 2013, 01:11:45 AM »
Hi,

Someone suggested recently that the japanese anemone seed I donate to a seed ex is not seed at all, mere fluff with black dots. I don't like getting "seed" that is dead bits of flowers. I felt a bit guilty about it. I also don't like the idea that the seed I have painstakingly collected and processed ends up in the bin. I did a test...

For public information, below is a picture of seed on a 10mm grid, a close up of a black dot, and two weeks after exposing to humidity, how that black dot produces a root.

I've always been surprised how such small seed produces rather large plants.

:)

David Pilling at the seaside in North West England.

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
Re: anemone japonica seed looks like this
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 01:43:10 AM »
Not sure why anyone would have doubted that that was seed... only someone not familiar with Anemone seed, I guess.  ???
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Gene Mirro

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 05:05:26 AM »
You can't judge seed quality by the appearance of the seed, except in really obvious cases.  By far the best way is to test germination, as David did.  I have seen lots of nice fat seeds that did not germinate.  There is also a more professional tool, the tetrazolium test.  http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v159/n4048/abs/159748a0.html  I don't know if any amateurs are using this method. 

I can understand why there would be doubt about seed of Anemone japonica.  It has a long reputation for being pure fluff.  I've heard that if you have only one clone, you will not get good seed.  For example, if you have one clone of a Lilium species, and it sets seed, it almost certainly is not pure seed of that species, but a hybrid with some different nearby lily.

Even if you examined the seed under a microscope and it looked OK, it might still be dead because of high temperatures or the passage of time.

Anyway, thanks David for taking the time to test your seeds.  We should all follow your example.  Imagine a novice grower failing repeatedly to grow seed from the exchange.  I don't think it's good for the club.   
Gene Mirro from the magnificent state of Washington

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 11:33:31 AM »
Anyway, thanks David for taking the time to test your seeds.
Yes, indeed, thank you David - and for taking the trouble to make the documentary photographs -Very useful.
I will add a link to this page from the "Seeds to scale" section.  :) 
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal