We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Oncos 2013  (Read 39338 times)

Peterwg

Re: Oncos 2013
« Reply #240 on: September 14, 2013, 07:06:19 AM »
Today, I have a plant from seed from Ian Mitchell, labelled "near gatesii".
I don't really mind what it is near - I like it.   Five stems, three-year-old seedling, 200mm pot.   I had to keep it inside to protect from the wind!   Hope you like it!

arillady

« Reply #241 on: September 14, 2013, 10:20:01 AM »
Beautiful photos Peter. Your weather has been far kinder to the arils than our cold and damp for so long.
A rhizome I received as Iris susiana many years ago finally flowered today and it isn't correct. At least finally I know.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Peterwg

« Reply #242 on: September 22, 2013, 08:39:49 AM »
Hi, just one today - a "near nigricans" from seed from John Holden:
(Nigricans x Ord Mountain) x nigricans.   Very like one I showed last year but this one opened on a beautiful day instead of in a howling gale!   Quite a small bloom, but very, very black.   Even so, the signal patch was very evident, being of a different texture.  Both standards and falls were very shiny, almost lacquered in appearance.

arillady

« Reply #243 on: September 22, 2013, 10:48:08 AM »
Great iris Peter. I have mainly spend blooms and some pods forming now.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #244 on: September 22, 2013, 12:47:46 PM »
Superb Oncos Peter, nice to see them in flower at this time of the year!
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Peterwg

« Reply #245 on: September 23, 2013, 11:01:50 AM »
First, almost the last bloom of the year - another large "near gatesii" (ZA077).   Next, I'm not sure whether I should show the next three - they are from seed from Ian Mitchell from many years ago.  They are ((Susiana x (Teucros x lortettii))x((Susiana x sari) x (gatesii x mariae)) and so are only 15/16 onco with the rest regelia - (ZA073, ZA074, ZA075).   These latter are strong plants with multiple bloom stems.  They have been a standout group of blooms at the end of the season.  Hope you like them!

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #246 on: September 24, 2013, 09:59:11 PM »
I missed a lot  ;D
Stunning plants and pictures Pat and Peter !It's really impressive, and we can see that this plants love your climate  :)
I hope to see more.... here first leaves are just emerging from the ground  ;)
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/IrisOncocyclus

Peterwg

« Reply #247 on: September 25, 2013, 08:21:41 AM »
Many thanks, Hans, Fred, Pat and all.   Yesterday I had a bud with the merest hint of colour, today after a night with minimum temperature of 18C, I had this paradoxa (from Vanadzor, Armenia, ZB078A).   
Melted my cold heart!

arillady

« Reply #248 on: September 25, 2013, 10:15:43 AM »
Peter the falls always remind me of bumble bees.
Fred as we didn't seem to have so many checking the onco thread I haven't posted all that I could have.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #249 on: September 25, 2013, 10:46:22 AM »

Fred as we didn't seem to have so many checking the onco thread I haven't posted all that I could have.
Crikey, Pat, nearly eight thousand people aren't enough for you? 
Our experience has been that the more there is to see the more there are  looking!
If the thumbnail photos are nice and  clear then not everyone will open them - so figures for that are sometimes lower than one might expect - as folks just open the ones they really want to drool over!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

arillady

« Reply #250 on: September 25, 2013, 11:54:25 AM »
Two red faced experiences today now!!
Not knowing a certain old rose - Golden Vision - when I visited an old farmhouse today to check out an old climbing rose for a contact. One of those 'of course' moments when I saw the photos on www.helpmefind.com/roses 
And now my not knowing that the counter is only for those who increase the thumbnail. Ho Hum ???
Thanks Maggie.

Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #251 on: September 25, 2013, 09:54:20 PM »
Very nice paradoxa Peter !
Pat, I think many people are looking at onco pictures....  and even if not so many... I enjoy to see them  ;D :) so please.. do it for me  8) ::) :-*
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/IrisOncocyclus

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #252 on: September 26, 2013, 09:35:06 AM »
I like to look too!
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

arillady

« Reply #253 on: September 26, 2013, 10:23:51 AM »
Most of the arils have finished now with a couple of possibles but mainly arilbreds coming on now. These photos are from last week.
Iris samariae - can't work out how to take this photo off which was posted by mistake. This doe kid is our new family member.
PT0719 = various choice hybrids (ex Shahak) x (Princess Maya x Ravid (light))
Not susiana - I have waited years and years for this one to build up slowly, look virused as heck by the end of each season and this year it finally flowered. And it is NOT Iris susiana :'( So I am now of the opinion that Iris susiana is lost completely in Australia.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 10:25:58 AM by arillady »
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

arillady

« Reply #254 on: September 26, 2013, 10:35:12 AM »
Now to try again with Iris samaraie (ex Shahak)
I used PT0328 which is a medium size flower with a huge signal over the following PT9815 which has huge flowers (photo taken after a windy night) but a small signal to see what results. And the reverse cross as well.
I have two pods forming on (Iris subbiflora x Iris revoluta) using one of my crosses from 2004. I only tried these two thinking that it wouldn't work. Must play around a bit more next year.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 10:39:31 AM by arillady »
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal