We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Oncos 2013  (Read 39339 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Oncos 2013
« Reply #225 on: August 24, 2013, 02:12:42 PM »
A fine selection of quality "lampshades" there, Pat.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #226 on: August 24, 2013, 05:10:50 PM »
A few of the aril species hybrids flowering today.
Local Mediterranean Garden Club members coming tomorrow afternoon to visit so they will have quite a few aril species hybrids in flower.

Very nice flowers Pat . "The  Local Mediterranean Garden Club " , that seems very interesting ! Here the mediterranean weather seems to leave us . After a hot and dry july and august everything gets back to normal ......   
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

arillady

« Reply #227 on: August 27, 2013, 11:06:53 AM »
Kris the visit of the Mediterranean Garden club members was blessed with lovely weather and plenty of arils and other plants that have to survive our long hot summers. Most members had never seen arils in person so that was a thrill for them. The 'river' in the front of the house was bubbling along over the rocks, grass was green and the sun was shining - what more could you want?
A few arils taken today:
PT9842 x 3 photos - all I want for Christmas is my two front teeth!
a view over some of the patches
PT0402
(I like it when the message comes up that I can't add anymore photos)
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Peterwg

« Reply #228 on: August 31, 2013, 09:50:40 AM »
Well done Pat, I am perpetually amazed at your plants.   Even more impressive is the large number of other blooms that may be glimpsed in the backgrounds.
Here is a more modest contribution - three seedlings from old John Holden seed cultured in 2011 - I guess the seed were 25 years old when cultured.   They were listed as HT-43 x samariae, up to 5 large blooms on almost three-year old plants.   They made a spectacular show and are a credit to John Holden's breeding skill.   

arillady

« Reply #229 on: August 31, 2013, 10:26:46 AM »
Beautiful blooms Peter. I do love the samariae look that comes in some of the hybrids here over the years as most of Shahak's 'various choice hybrids' had samaraie or lortetii in them.
I will reduce some of the blooms photographed the last couple of days and post in a while.  Ideal weather for pollinating - the best year so far!
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

arillady

« Reply #230 on: August 31, 2013, 11:05:36 AM »
PT0416 maybe - this has lovely globular form with accentuated lines
PT0823 - good light brown dotting to give a brown effect from afar
PY0434 striking red thumb print
PT0442 before and after opening - yellow background and purple dotting and veins in lines
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #231 on: September 01, 2013, 09:49:32 AM »
Stunning flowers Pat, with such wonderful veining 8)
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

arillady

« Reply #232 on: September 01, 2013, 11:38:17 AM »
Thanks Ashley.
A few photos from this afternoon.
I crossed PT0464 with PT0416 to keep the lovely form of these two.
Also PT0421 with PT0330 as they had similar form.
PT0426 has huge flowers on a stocky plant - it has to be nearly the largest bloom I grow.
Too much cold and rain has made the leaves like this. 27C tomorrow for a very early heated day.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 11:40:18 AM by arillady »
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #233 on: September 05, 2013, 02:00:29 AM »
Peter and Pat,
your onco season is way ahead of mine; this is the first bloom - one of Pat's :PT 0317, I. hermona x ?, taken this morning as I raced off to work!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Peterwg

« Reply #234 on: September 07, 2013, 01:43:07 AM »
Very nice, Fermi!   Iris hermona seems to produce many flowers like this - large, showy, long style arms with large crests - and huge anthers absolutely crusted with pollen!   I'm glad your season has started, mine is almost finished - much too hot too early in the year - a week of hot weather has compressed the season into only a few days!

arillady

« Reply #235 on: September 07, 2013, 09:39:40 AM »
Fermi you have been having cooler weather and Peter has had so much warmer days except for the high 20s here last week.
I should have put an open day notice in the local paper last week for today but missed my opportunity. Peak bloom was this week. At least I am pretty sure there are quite a few pods forming.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #236 on: September 10, 2013, 08:39:10 AM »
The second Onco is also one of pat's - Iris kirkwoodiae x Iris atropurpurea
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

arillady

« Reply #237 on: September 10, 2013, 09:29:38 AM »
Glad you are getting some blooms Fermi.
Yesterday we had terrible drying winds that really knocked the oncos around and down. A few left standing tall but only a couple of decent blooms to photograph today- photos later. You must have received the wind too Fermi as John N at Yarra Glen got it too.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Peterwg

« Reply #238 on: September 14, 2013, 03:46:50 AM »
Really, really nice blooms Fermi.   It is only the middle of September and many of my plants are showing that they want to go dormant.  Among them have been two very interesting Iris hermona.   They were not quite what I was expecting, but still nice!

Peterwg

« Reply #239 on: September 14, 2013, 05:01:32 AM »
The weather in Sydney has been very unseasonal this year  - in mid winter we had huge rainfall - more than 12 inches (300mm) in ten days and then nothing for the next seven weeks.   To top it off, the days have been above average temperatures climaxing in 7 of last ten days have been over 30C- ten degrees above average for this time of year!   Many days have also had 60 - 100 Km/h winds.   The irises have been very confused - most rushed into bloom, only to be blown to bits by the winds. 

Many years ago I received some seed of I. kirkwoodii x Herb's susianus (Herb was the late Herb McKusick from the Aril Society International).   This year, many of the plants bloomed, so I show a selection of the blooms.   The range of variation was surprising to me, bearing in mind what I thought to be the closeness of the cross.   Here are five of the seedlings which flowered this year which seem to span the range of variation.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal