We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2013  (Read 75028 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Cyclamen 2013
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2013, 10:14:43 PM »
Cyclamen Society Early Spring Show - 9 February- Wisley -  I hope everyone heading to this event tomorrow has a great day.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2013, 05:29:29 PM »
Thank you, Kris!
Is the dark C. coum a named cultivar?
Gerd

No Gerd , I picked them out in a batch of more then hundred plants ....
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2013, 05:48:23 PM »
Cyclamen Society Early Spring Show - 9 February- Wisley -  I hope everyone heading to this event tomorrow has a great day.
My, a deafening silence - either there has been some catastrophe or perhaps the attendees are still recovering from the excitement .....

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2013, 03:16:00 PM »
I first noticed this in 2012, but the leaf is back again this year, so it must belong to a corm I reckon.  Its distinctively different, but is it good or bad?  Not sure whether I should cosset it or throw it out....  your thoughts would be appreciated...
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Denney_m

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2013, 08:42:08 PM »
Yes Maggi, the Cyclamen Society Wisley Winter Show - and yes, that's the 'official' name (I get slapped wrists when I call it Early Spring ...) - did take place and it was a good day despite the fact that certain notable characters were missing due to the Galanthus Gala.  Entries in the show were a little bit thin due to the strange season but I don't think it would have made much difference if the 'notable characters' had been able to make it.  Even the vast acres of Mr Robertson's Cyclamen alpinum were somewhat reduced with his biggest plants not having made the grade.  In spite of this we welcomed a good number of Wisley visitors to the show - more than we might have expected given the uninspiring weather - and they seemed to enjoy both the show and the 'added value' supplied by an exhibit of emboidery of alpine plants (including some superb Cyclamen), and a display of early woodblock prints and engravings of Cyclamen dating from 1542 to the 19th century.

We were lucky to have Jim Almond to take the show photos and rumour has it that some of them may find themselves on-line in the near future.

Best wishes to all .....
Martyn

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2013, 09:03:03 PM »
To be honest, Martyn, I have to agree that "Early Spring " seems a bit optimistic!
Glad you all had a good day - the "added value" sounds most interesting too. Personally I find such extended connections both enlightening and educational.

It may well be that the fairly grotty weather might have been the exact thing that drew people out to visit - desperate for some floral cheer! It's certainly what accounts for the hectic enthusiasm that exists for the SRGC Early Bulb Day. ( See how canny we are there with the name- just "early" - no arguing with that  ;D )

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2013, 08:49:36 AM »
I first noticed this in 2012, but the leaf is back again this year, so it must belong to a corm I reckon.  Its distinctively different, but is it good or bad?  Not sure whether I should cosset it or throw it out....  your thoughts would be appreciated...

I would cosset it if it appeared here Chris.  I always admire different looking leaves and that one looks variegated from the pic.
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2013, 11:45:27 AM »
Christine, there are so many self-sown seedlings around the main clump, so your plants are clarly very fertile. So  perhaps the variegated leaf is a baby that has grown in side the inner circle of the mother plant. I wonder if some careful excavation might allow you to discover if there is a baby corm in there - if so, you could extract it to grow on in its own space?

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2013, 05:02:54 PM »
I'll take a look and see what I find.  It is definitely the same place as last year, but whether its just part of a corm I don't know.  Next good day we get.... its been stunning here today, planted my newest snowdrop  ;D and a few other things I found at Dunblane....
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2013, 10:23:06 AM »
This coum is from the south most population of the species, located in the Upper Galilee region.
The wild population  counts less then 80 plants.
I have been growing it for the last 8 years and have already quite a number.
It is important first in order  to keep a stock in case this population would extinct, second reason is the potential of this form as it is the only one mange to coop with high temperatures.
In the wild it grows side by side with C. persicum.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 12:03:54 PM by Oron Peri »
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2013, 10:45:56 AM »
This coum is from the south most population of the species, located in the Upper Galilee region.
The wild populations  counts less then 80 plants.
I have been growing it for the last 8 years and have already quite a number.
It is important first in order  to keep a stock in case this population would extinct, second reason is the potential of this form as it is the only one mange to coop with high temperatures.
In the wild it grows side by side with C. persicum.

So worthwhile to be giving this  coum which has such extreme weather tolerance some protection Oron. Hard to imagine how it  has adapted to this heat - so many mysteries in these little plants!

Oron Peri

• Seeds of Peace
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2013, 11:06:58 AM »
So worthwhile to be giving this  coum which has such extreme weather tolerance some protection Oron. Hard to imagine how it  has adapted to this heat - so many mysteries in these little plants!

Maggie, i find it also fascinating.
A good example for me is C. intaminatum: i have been trying to grow it for the last 12 years, probably sown hundreds of seeds, but they never mature due to the dry, hot conditions.
But out of these hundreds, a single seedling has adapted to these conditions and is thriving in the garden in hot backing sun and so probably this has been the same process with the above.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 11:08:44 AM by Oron Peri »
200m.

Oron Peri

• Seeds of Peace
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2013, 11:11:31 AM »
Some photos taken this morning,
200m.

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2013, 11:28:52 AM »
Maggie, i find it also fascinating.
A good example for me is C. intaminatum: i have been trying to grow it for the last 12 years, probably sown hundreds of seeds, but they never mature due to the dry, hot conditions.
But out of these hundreds, a single seedling has adapted to these conditions and is thriving in the garden in hot backing sun and so probably this has been the same process with the above.

I'm sure this is the reason why I've had so much better luck with raising my own plants - and the absolute strongest ones are the ones that self sown into the plunge or other plant's pot - there has been some selection already taken place.

Nice C.africanum hybrids - I assume they are C.hederifolium crosses? Just occured to me if anyone has started doing deliberate crosses with things like C.h crassense?
Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

Oron Peri

• Seeds of Peace
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2013, 11:55:25 AM »
Yes Mark, they are hybrids with hederifolium, confusum and probably crassifolium too, they all grow side by side therefor difficult to say who the parents are.

Here is a selection of some C. persicum leaves. [wild forms]
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 11:59:39 AM by Oron Peri »
200m.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal