We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: South African Bulbs 2013  (Read 59099 times)

ArnoldT

Re: South African Bulbs 2013
« Reply #510 on: December 30, 2013, 02:59:44 AM »
Steve:

The other diagnostic factor with many of the Lachenalia  is the stamens and whether they are exserted or included.  It's hard to tell from your photo and the photo in Duncan's book  their position.  A close up of an individual flower would be helpful.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #511 on: December 30, 2013, 10:06:26 AM »
This is my final post of 2013 ;) Lachenalia 'November Fantasia', probably a hybrid between L. viridiflora and L. bulbifera.
Best wishes for the coming year :) :) :)
Tatsuo Y
By the Pacific coast, central part of main island, Japan

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #512 on: December 30, 2013, 11:00:30 AM »
That's a wonderfully coloured and compact plant. I had been avoiding growing the hybrids so far as there are so many species, but I think that I could be tempted with a plant like that... ;)
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #513 on: December 30, 2013, 11:06:32 AM »
This is my final post of 2013 ;) Lachenalia 'November Fantasia', probably a hybrid between L. viridiflora and L. bulbifera.

And our best wishes to you for 2014, too, Tatsuo.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

SJW

« Reply #514 on: December 30, 2013, 03:37:51 PM »
Steve:
The other diagnostic factor with many of the Lachenalia  is the stamens and whether they are exserted or included.  It's hard to tell from your photo and the photo in Duncan's book  their position.  A close up of an individual flower would be helpful.

Arnold - my little point and shoot camera doesn't take great close-ups, but here's the best I can do. I'd say the 'stamens are included to shortly exserted' also declinate, with white filaments. That also points to L. canaliculata...After the Duncan books, my first port of call for photos to help with ID is the PBS website. An excellent resource, as you well know! Nothing there for L. canaliculata so I guess it's not common in cultivation?
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

SJW

« Reply #515 on: December 30, 2013, 03:56:33 PM »

As Peter says, that's a lovely looking hybrid, Tatsuo (and I've never really been tempted by the hybrids :-\). Best wishes for the new year.

A couple of Massonias have come later into flower than the others I grow although the Massonia (Whiteheadia) bifolia still has some way to go.

pontus

« Reply #516 on: January 01, 2014, 10:51:12 PM »
yes Arnold, to the right is my biggest boophane (boophone) disticha, and also a dormant boophane haemanthoides. In the background are crinum leaves :)

Pontus

ArnoldT

« Reply #517 on: January 01, 2014, 11:47:21 PM »
Steve:

Close up helps. I'm by far not an authority on these but some of the factors do match what Graham has in his book.

If you send me a couple of larger images I'll try to have them posted on the PBS site under your name.

I have Graham's earlier book and it's not in there.

Is there any scent?

arnold140@verizon.net
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

SJW

« Reply #518 on: January 02, 2014, 01:56:17 AM »
Steve:
Close up helps. I'm by far not an authority on these but some of the factors do match what Graham has in his book.
If you send me a couple of larger images I'll try to have them posted on the PBS site under your name.
I have Graham's earlier book and it's not in there.
Is there any scent?

Thanks Arnold, I'll email you.
Yes, I have detected a faint scent although the pot is near to my M. echinata which tend to overpower everything else around them!
My plant came from the International Asclepiad Society seedex (field number IAS 2146) and seed was sown by a friend in 2006. Professor Google tells me that the seed was collected west of Calvinia on 01/09/04 by Jean André Audissou (JAA 639). http://jean-andre.audissou.pagesperso-orange.fr/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal