We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Blog 661 - Starting a New Garden Life  (Read 25367 times)

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
Re: Blog 661 - Starting a New Garden Life
« Reply #105 on: April 18, 2013, 09:12:31 AM »
I don't think my husband is aware that we have a washing machine or an iron.
Angie  :)

A what or a what???  ??? ::)
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #106 on: April 24, 2013, 11:30:25 AM »
I'm sorry, I did want to do another bit before leaving home but things have rushed by too fast and there simply isn't time. Enough to say I have left my market job finally, with a great "do" to see me off (120 people there, all vendors and their staff and Trustees) with numerous bottles and other gifts piled upon me, a lovely feeling to know I have been appreciated. The bunch of flowers gracing my sitting room will be for Roger to enjoy while it lasts and the purse given to me - a "whipround' of vendors, I was told, contains so much it is truly embarrassing to accept it. Lovely - and generous - people, every one.

Leaving home tomorrow. Prague, here I come! ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #107 on: April 24, 2013, 02:55:39 PM »
How nice to realise how much you have been appreciated Lesley.  Have a great time in Prague.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

angie

« Reply #108 on: April 24, 2013, 07:57:57 PM »

Leaving home tomorrow. Prague, here I come! ;D

Take care Lesley and see you soon.

Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #109 on: April 24, 2013, 09:02:36 PM »
I hope you have a great trip Lesley, and start 'retirement' as you mean to go on ;D
Best wishes too to everyone else heading to Prague. 
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #110 on: July 13, 2013, 01:54:02 AM »
Blog 661 – 15th July 2013

Since I started this diary back in December 2012, and intending at that time to keep up a more or less weekly commentary, my propensity for extreme laziness has overtaken me and instead of using the current cold and frequently wet weather to write, I’ve discovered the delights – and convenience – of an E-reader which goes with me wherever I go.

My last entry here was just before I left NZ for the Czech Republic (almost 3 months ago) and the wonderful Conference the Czechs, in collaboration with the Scots, and then the excellent tour to follow, arranged for those of us who were fortunate enough to attend.

In the meantime, our weather has changed from a mild autumn to one of the coldest winters I remember. I don’t think it’s just that our new garden is in a colder place though that may be part of it. When I looked out this morning it seemed there was a snow fall but it was just a really heavy frost and although we had a banked up fire overnight in the dining room, the temperature in there was just 4.5 degC! Not being at my previous market job I could have gone back to bed but went to work instead to get the fire going and was soon able to welcome the rising sun through our large dining room window. We had a vegetable soup last night and I reheated the remains and had hot soup for breakfast instead of my usual bran flakes.

The only flowers out here at present from the garden itself, are numerous undistinguished  hellebores and a winter-flowering cherry. The hellebores have seeded about over years and form a ground cover of many square metres under the trees, in pinks, reddish shades and whites. I hope someone will tell me the cherry’s name. I picked the only few twigs I could reach and put them in a blue jug with some hellebore flowers but the hellebores are not, it seems, good cut flowers and within an hour had drooped right down to the table top. Does anyone know a tip for keeping the blooms upright and so usable as cut flowers? The cherry has a lot of dead stuff on it and will probably need removal altogether, perhaps replaced with something else. Oh yes, I’ve discovered another flower in bloom under the trees, one I DON’T want, the celandine, with 3cm flowers shining beautifully in the sun but whose foliage is spreading through the ground at an amazing rate. Like some other weedy species it has been used as total ground cover and it will be a major job to control and then remove it.

I’ve bought a few roses (a moment of mental aberration overcoming me) and two witch hazels, Hamamelis mollis ‘Pallida’ and H. x Intermedia ‘Arnold Promise,’ for planting near the house, along with a new cornus, a local variety called ‘Greenvale’ which seems to be a seedling of Cornus nuttallii crossed with – perhaps – ‘Eddie’s White Wonder.’ I’ve not seen it in bloom yet but those who have say the “flowers” (bracts) are large, palest jade green and ghostly. These are followed by red strawberry-like fruit. The foliage is hanging on late but has turned to a very deep red. I’ve also been able to replace my precious ‘Paul’s Scarlet’ crataegus’ and 2 claret ashes, one of my favourite trees. So there will be plenty planting to do as soon as I can get places ready and the ground thaws a little.

Of the plants I brought with me to 661, mostly there are crocuses, new ones almost daily, snowdrops (the doubles are coming out first, especially ‘Dionysus’ and ‘Lady Beatrix Stanley’) while Galanthus reginae-olgae is still hanging on. The form I have is not a very early one anyway. Just about all the others I have are in bud and won’t be too long. Counting up, I’m surprised to find I have about 20 different snowdrops. Cyclamen coum in different forms is beginning to colour the bed under Magnolia ‘Ian’s Red’ and though I intended to plant ONLY the cyclamen there, I couldn’t resist planting small groups of Iris reticulata ‘Harmony’ as well. These are not quite in bud but won’t be long and the first flower is out today in a pot of I. r. ‘Pauline.’ What these all tell me is that spring really will come and maybe won’t be far off, the crocuses particularly for me always bridging that period between winter and spring so that the former is never really horrid.

Tauranga’s Bill Dijk sent me a parcel of irises a couple of weeks ago and though they were a swap for a few I’d sent him, he sent many more. Of these, Iris unguicularis ‘Starker’s Pink’ and ‘Purple Trinity’ are both in bud. The latter is a NZ hybrid, from, I think, Marion Ball, a NZ breeder of lovely irises. The flower of ‘Purple Trinity is a rich, very deep purple and with red in the throat, very distinct from any other form of the species. The plant is shorter, more compact than others.

So – many wonderful things to come in the near future. I’m still placing and replanting troughs and a few Porophyllum saxifrages are already in bud. Then yesterday I bought from a cheapie chain store, a couple of small greenhouses, just 3 metres x 2 metres x 1.9 metres high, doors at each end and little side windows which have roll up covers over netting. The canopies are a plastic stuff and the whole things, once fully erected will need pegging down against our sometimes savage winds but they’ll give me some shelter and protection for newly potted seedlings until something more permanent is arranged. It’s crazy to be thinking of potting seedlings so early but I have so many to do that I really MUST get on with it. Still many seeds to sow and more expected any day from the Trillium Group and NZIS. I wonder, at what age does one decide not to bother with seeds any more? Whatever it is, I haven’t reached it yet, nor have come anywhere near!

We have 3 chooks. They were all supposed to be hens but one, Boris has turned out to be a rooster, The others are Tatiana and Tamara (Tat and Tam). They are Barnvelders, a Dutch breed I think and very attractive with mainly almost black plumage but irridescent green and with beautiful tan mottling on their chests. NO EGGS YET which is making Roger mutter about chicken casserole but hopefully they'll start in the spring. For now they are quite good company around the garden and not doing much damage so far. They seem to be eating a great number of seeds and assorted wildlife from the grass as well as enjoying a wheat breakfast, as here, on the driveway.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 01:57:50 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #111 on: July 13, 2013, 12:41:06 PM »
From the internet Lesley:

Add about an inch of boiling water to a jug, then place the stem ends in the water for around 1 minute. This will force out the air from the stems and allow better uptake of water. Take them out of the hot water, then re-cut the stem ends and put them into water up to their necks or immerse them completely overnight before arranging. A more foolproof method for Hellebores is to wait until they have formed (or are beginning to form) seed pods. At this stage they will condition very well and last a long time.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #112 on: July 13, 2013, 08:05:58 PM »
I admire your energy Lesley, I'm wilting fast.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #113 on: July 13, 2013, 09:17:44 PM »
From the internet Lesley:

Add about an inch of boiling water to a jug, then place the stem ends in the water for around 1 minute. This will force out the air from the stems and allow better uptake of water. Take them out of the hot water, then re-cut the stem ends and put them into water up to their necks or immerse them completely overnight before arranging. A more foolproof method for Hellebores is to wait until they have formed (or are beginning to form) seed pods. At this stage they will condition very well and last a long time.

I take the stamens off cut hellebores and prick the stems right through with a pin,about one inch down from the back of each flower.
Sounds more than a tad shamanistic, I suppose, but it seems to work quite well. I was told the stem stabbing trick for Tulips a long time ago and it always seems to keep them well.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

angie

« Reply #114 on: July 14, 2013, 12:33:35 AM »
I admire your energy Lesley, I'm wilting fast.

You will be David with the heat that you are getting down there  ;D

Lesley.  You say I wonder, at what age does one decide not to bother with seeds any more? Whatever it is, I haven’t reached it yet, nor have come anywhere near! Good on you just because we are all getting a bit older doesn't mean that we can't keep doing what we wish to. Just wish I could get better with seeds.

Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Arum

• Edna's page
« Reply #115 on: July 14, 2013, 08:20:12 AM »
"Still many seeds to sow and more expected any day from the Trillium Group and NZIS. I wonder, at what age does one decide not to bother with seeds any more? Whatever it is, I haven’t reached it yet, nor have come anywhere near!"

I had often thought along these lines myself Lesley. I have had several Icons during my life who I admired tremendously for their knowledge of plants & propagation. Agnes Sutherland, Ethel Doyle, Alistair Blee, Stewart Preston to mention a few  - I am sure you will also remember these plant's people. They all at some stage said to me "Do not stop growing from seed Edna - do continue - as it keeps life so interesting." Maybe not these exact words but along these lines. Personally I think it one of the most exciting things a plant loving person can do - always something to drool over whatever the weather or the mood. My shade house is chocker with seed pots at various stages of germination. It has seen me through good times & bad. Even during the times of the Christchurch earthquake my seed pots & seedlings continued to give me pleasure and stability though the ground was constantly heaving & times were very scary. Something to check on each day maybe & to watch over - nurture one might say. I did at times almost feel guilty as many people were suffering so & amongst all the chaos I could still feel pleasure over a tiddly little seedling that had just germinated.
Keep up the good work I will be down to check out your new "Patch of Paradise" one of these days. Stewart Preston was speaking at a NZAG Soc. monthly meeting I attended many years ago - his subject was "My Patch of Paradise ". I was spellbound taking in all he spoke about & he repeated these words over & over saying everyone could create this for themselves. It did impress me so much - I have most surely carried out his advise. We must leave our home for alternative accommodation for at least 6 weeks while earthquake repairs are carried out, I cannot imagine not being able to duck out to my seed house for my early morning inspection, I am sure I will have to visit daily.
Regards Edna

Edna Parkyn  Christchurch "The Garden City" New Zealand

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #116 on: July 14, 2013, 12:22:44 PM »
I think your words will resonate with many folks Edna - it is comforting in times of trouble of whatever sort to be able to concentrate on something "outside" our daily grind to give us another focus and some hope.

Good luck with your earthquake repairs - and we all hope you will never have to go through that again.

As for when do we stop sowing seed- well, I advocate the  policy of our mentor, Harold Esslemont -  never!   He was still sowing fritillaria seed at nearly ninety - sounds good to me!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #117 on: July 14, 2013, 12:25:59 PM »
Blog 661 – 15th July 2013

Still many seeds to sow and more expected any day from the Trillium Group and NZIS. I wonder, at what age does one decide not to bother with seeds any more? Whatever it is, I haven’t reached it yet, nor have come anywhere near!

Hmmm, still Bastille Day over here, Lesley ;D
Our mutual friend Stephen Ryan tells us about Barney Hutton, a friend of his on Mt Macedon, who was still planting peony seeds in his nineties! His friends and family are the beneficiaries of his enterprises.
cheers
fermi

Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #118 on: July 15, 2013, 12:22:44 AM »
Firstly, thanks for the tips for keeping hellebores in water. I was wondering if the ones here are worth the effort but although nothing out of the way, they are still attractive and valuable at this coldest time of year. I like to have something in the house if possible so I'll try your Internet method Brian and also yours Maggi. Sticking with pins does sound a little like casting some nasty spell on someone so certain people about here better keep out of the way while I do it.

I fully agree about the need to sow seed for as long as possible. Apart from the thrill of seeing germination, I do believe that plants grown from seed where possible, are stronger, healthier and longer-lived than those from cuttings or other methods. No doubt a selection of packets will be available for whoever buries me, to sow on my grave.  :)

Edna, I do feel for you. It's so easy for the rest of us to say"thank goodness THAT'S all over now and people can get back to "normal" life." But we forget that thousands of Chch people are still not able to live in their own homes yet or may have to move altogether but the process is taking so very long. It seems outrageous that many homes are still not under repair or even properly assessed, and then some surveyor comes along and says thousands of houses have been assessed incorrectly in order to save the Earthquake Commission having to pay out so much. It's almost unbelievable. I can only hope your own repairs go smoothly and successfully and you can get rehoused again as soon as possible. Do call in here whenever you are nearby please. If I have a couple of hours notice there can be warm scones as well as tea and coffee. :)

Gerry Webster

« Reply #119 on: July 15, 2013, 09:15:42 PM »
As for when do we stop sowing seed- well, I advocate the  policy of our mentor, Harold Esslemont -  never!   He was still sowing fritillaria seed at nearly ninety - sounds good to me!

Reminds me of Pierre Monteux who, at the age of 85, was appointed conductor of the London Symphony Orchestra. He demanded, & received, a 25 year contract.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal