We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Haemanthus 2012  (Read 6817 times)

angie

Re: Haemanthus 2012
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2012, 07:42:46 PM »
Hans that fantastic  8), can't wait till the day I have loads of flowers on my H. albiflos like you have.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2012, 10:17:46 PM »
You people have some very desirable plants
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

brianw

« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2012, 11:03:18 PM »
I have 2 different clones of albiflos. One that is apparently indestructable and is very easy to grow and flower. Looks very much like the photo above. The other flowers later and has wider leaves, twice the length. Unfortunately they both flower around the same time as I cram my frost free greenhouse with a lot of other plants for the winter, and the humidity goes sky high, and the flowers end up covered in fungus as they go over. Never had seed form fully, just too damp to stay healthy.
By chance I kept a stray small bulb of one of these forms over last winter in the unheated greenhouse, just by the door so will have been frosted several times. Came through fine with no damage, so maybe they are tougher than I thought.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2012, 04:04:32 PM »
if anybody is interestet to swap with me seeds of Haemanthus coccineus please look here :

http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=9716.0

Hans
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2012, 08:45:31 PM »
Haemanthus albiflos are now finished up for the year, but one seedling bulb of Haemanthus deformis is now in bloom.  The seeds were planted in May, 2008, so this one is 4.5 years old.

375528-0

Also starting to bloom just now are the Haemanthus pauculifolius.

375530-1

This one originated in Vryheid, as the tag notes.

Jim
Jim Shields, Westfield, Indiana, USA
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Blogs/Garden/index.html

Angelo Porcelli

« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2012, 08:31:33 AM »
Jim you should change that pot of H. deformis, otherwise the leaves will be deformed.
Try to get a kind of Italian terracotta handmade oval pot designed for Haemanthus  ;D

Back to Haemanthus hybrids, with my great surprise one of my albiflos x coccinues has set 8 seeds pollinated with coccineus pollen !
None of the others did, nor a sanguineus pollinated with that hybrid pollen too. So I wish I am going to the right way to achieve a 'red' albiflos  :)

Forgot to add the seeds are purple, quite curious thinking that the plants come from albiflos as mother plant.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 09:28:08 AM by Angelo Porcelli »
central Apulia - Southern Italy
Zone 9b - mediterranean climate

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal