We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Arisaema griffithii & var pradhanii Seed?  (Read 3880 times)

GordonT

Arisaema griffithii & var pradhanii Seed?
« on: January 25, 2014, 03:00:58 PM »
Helo Forumists,

I have been trying to find specific information on germination protocol for Arisaema griffithii and var pradhanii. My usual strategy is to pre-germinate the seeds in moist paper towel enclosed in a zip lock bag - all at room temperature. This has worked for most species, with the notable exception being Arisaema nepenthoides (still coveting this).

I have just bundled my exchange seeds into damp towel, and into bags. Should they be placed in the refrigerator for cold stratification (at 3C) for several weeks, or should I leave them out at room temperature?

I would hate to lose these, as they are very uncommon in Nova Scotia.
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Arisaema griffithii & var pradhanii Seed?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 03:11:43 PM »
Some discussion on germinating Arisaema seeds here :
http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=6880.0    which may be of help  .... and the  International Aroid Society   has  this page .....  http://www.aroid.org/horticulture/aseedg.php  with advice on her methods by Ellen Hornig, formerly of Seneca Hills Nursery.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 03:21:17 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gene Mirro

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 04:24:10 PM »
I can germinate nearly every species of Arisaema except for griffithi.  I have tried seed from many different sources.  I have tried many recommended methods.  My success rate is 0%.  I suspect that the seed is dead on arrival, because it rots very quickly when exposed to moist potting mix.
Gene Mirro from the magnificent state of Washington

GordonT

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 07:55:42 PM »
I can germinate nearly every species of Arisaema except for griffithi. My success rate is 0%.  I suspect that the seed is dead on arrival, because it rots very quickly when exposed to moist potting mix.

That has been my experience with nepenthoides - every attempt at germination has ended with 100% failure to launch. I was lucky to get griffithii seeds via the latest SRGC seed exchange- hopefully some of them will germinate. I am still looking for seed of Arisaema candidissimum and nepenthoides (to try the latter again!). I have had great luck with other species (ciliatum, consanguineum, fargesii, heterophyllum, jaquemontii, ovale, serratum, sikokianum, and tortuosum). Would definitely like to add  candidissimum, griffithii, and nepenthoides to the "success" list!

ferdinand

• http://sedmdesatosmicka.webnode.cz/
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 06:23:16 PM »
I sowed the seeds ordered from Alpine Garden Society this year, on the 1st January. A. jacquemontii (currently 7 seedlings) and A. nepenthoides (currently 4 seedlings) germinated on 22nd January. Today Arisaema consanguineum has germinated. For other species (ciliatum, griffithii, ringens, speciosum) I´m still waiting.
The pots I put in a room with temperatures of 20-22 degrees.
I have sown arisaemas´ seeds quite successfully also in the previous years. I would say that the bigger problem is keeping the seedlings through the winter (stored in a frost-free room). One year old tubers of some species didn´t shoot due to becoming too dry in the next year.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 08:57:26 PM by ferdinand »
Everything that happens in the house No. 78
http://sedmdesatosmicka.webnode.cz/

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 07:55:07 AM »
Last winter I sowed A.nepenthoides, and got no germination. I have kept the pot, giving it now cold stratifying, hoping that cold was what it needed to germinate, but apparently not, since ferninand's A.nepenthoides had germinated in warm. Too bad, I was so hoping to have it. :(
Leena from south of Finland

ferdinand

• http://sedmdesatosmicka.webnode.cz/
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2014, 09:03:05 PM »
I am satisfied.  Eight seeds of A. nepenthoides have already germinated. A germination has not slowed down by transferring the pots into a cooler room with 15 to 19 degrees Celsius. I have´t counted seeds before sowing, but I think they have all germinated.
Everything that happens in the house No. 78
http://sedmdesatosmicka.webnode.cz/

GordonT

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2014, 02:22:31 PM »
The first seedling of Arisaema griffithii, var pradhanii (from the 1st round  SRGC  2013/14 exchange) has cleared the soil surface! I am still waiting on plain old A. griffithii. Hopefully they will show some sign of life soon. Arisaema candidissimum seeds germinated far more quickly. I will keep everything growing as long as possible. In the past I have managed to take seedling tubers through at least two growth cycles per year- thanks to the refrigerator!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal