We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Thalictrum seed  (Read 981 times)

brianw

Thalictrum seed
« on: October 17, 2012, 06:18:56 PM »
Hardly an alpine in stature, as mine is 7' tall, but can someone tell me what mature Thalictrum delavayii seed looks like? I want to grow some more of this elegant plant and have a plant apparently covered in seed but it seems to want to stay a greeny brown colour. Is it ripe/mature now or will it go brown eventually?
Can I sow it now or wait until later?

Thanks
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Botanica

Re: Thalictrum seed
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 08:06:19 PM »
Hello

I found a photo of Thalictrum seed in a plastic box...your's look like this ? Photo ?

With the plant

I have found this recommandation !

Sowing: Sow February to April / August to September.
Sow indoors in pots or trays at 13 to 16°C (55-60°F), ‘Just cover’ the seed with vermiculite or sieved compost. Sow in trays containing John Innes seed compost, or some similar free draining compost. The compost should be kept moist but not wet at all times. Germination should occur between 15 to 21 days. Thin (prick out) to 7.5cm (3in) pots when seedlings have developed 2 proper leaves and are large enough to handle. Gradually acclimatise to outdoor conditions for 10 to 15 days before planting out. Space 45cm (18in) apart.

I hope you're interested in.

You've not some seed to exchange with me ?

I've Thalictrum aquilegiifolium in my garden but not seed this year.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Thalictrum seed
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 09:42:38 PM »
I think Thalictrum seed would do well greenish or sown as soon as it comes off in your hand which is probably before it browns. Being Ranunculaceae, the same criteria likely apply as they do to say, Hepatica or Ranunculus, sown very fresh and even green for best results, so long as the seed is fully mature in size.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal