We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: lilium nepalensis  (Read 2654 times)

cliffhirst

lilium nepalensis
« on: November 05, 2007, 07:45:10 PM »
I have  lilium nepelensis in a pot in the greenhouse, with two large seed pods attached. advice on collecting,sowing, or storing regards cliff hirst
in Stoke on Trent in the midlands of England

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: lilium nepalensis
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 08:24:49 PM »
You are lucky to have these seedpods. I hand-pollinate mine each year but get no seeds from my single clone.

Leave the pods until they are just beginning to open then cut them off and place them somewhere dry and cool to complete opening and shed their seeds.

As a precaution, store some (cool and dry) in a paper bag and sow them in the spring but otherwise, sow in autumn on a leafy seed mix and cover this with 1cm depth of grit. If they germinate before the winter it could pay to put the pot in your glasshouse. But in general, I'd keep the pot outside, in a cool, sheltered place.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: lilium nepalensis
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 09:56:15 PM »
If you have sown some of your lily seed, Cliff, then I'd put a cover over it while these very high winds and blowing rain are around. Are you in the UK and getting the same weather we are in this area ??
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal