We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Autumn flowering Narcissus 2012  (Read 20799 times)

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
Re: Autumn flowering Narcissus 2012
« Reply #105 on: November 18, 2012, 08:35:25 AM »
Outrageous.  >:(
Glad to hear you will  try to introduce this species by seed Rafa!
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

wooden shoe

« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2012, 09:15:20 PM »
Here's another of Rafa's introductions. It's Narcissus malacitanus, an autumn blooming narcissus from the Sierra Nevada. I'm very happy to see the growth and I hope I can distribute the seeds in a few years. Thank you Rafa for the seeds!
Rob - central Nederland Zone 7b

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #107 on: November 18, 2012, 11:48:25 PM »
Anthony,  N. antiatlanticus is bigger and robust than N. broussonetii. It has 8 short and flat leaves per bulb (at blooming time) shorter than scape, when N. broussonetii has 4 long leaves. I will post  some pictures.

Narcissus malacitanus, is a robust form of N. elegans, I think this is the purest N. elegans, as it's completely isolated far from other Narcissus like N. serotinus, N. viridiflorus or N. cavanillesii. In Mallorca and Morocco (I suppose also im Algeria) there is a genetic chaos between all these species and they are all mixed. Very complex to study Narcissus in Morocco... N. malacitanus only grows in Malaga. It is fantastic haw you germinated these seeds. It is easy to grow and quite hardy, more than N. elegans from North Africa.

DAMN!! this year I was too late in sending my index (as usually :-\) so this year as you notice, I am not in the wild collection donors.

wooden shoe

« Reply #108 on: November 19, 2012, 08:15:33 AM »
Hi Rafa, I indeed noticed that the wild collected Narcissus were in shorter supply than former years and missed your entries. A pity you were too late, I would surely have picked some. Hopefully we will have another chance next year. :D
Rob - central Nederland Zone 7b

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2012, 12:45:01 PM »
I do not know if this is the right place to post pics of these winter flowering Narcissus, but it is still autumn, so here they are: My first flowers of what I believe is Narcissus Nylon in the open garden.

Poul
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2012, 01:29:52 PM »
Poul, this is most interesting for us to see, in a year when we have none of the narcissus flowering that we usually expect at this time of year .... I think you will find Ian commenting on this in tomorrow's Bulb Log.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 07:58:57 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #111 on: November 26, 2012, 01:40:02 PM »
Maggi, yes this is strange. My N. Nylon under glass is far behind - only in small buds. They were watered in the end of August.

Poul

ikizzeki

« Reply #112 on: November 26, 2012, 03:02:49 PM »
Greetings from Turkey,Antalya..
I am very new for forum but fond of daffodils. In Turkey,autumn flowering narcissus is rarely seen. I only saw 'paper white' flowering before winter. We Turks mostly prefer good smelling flower for gardening.
I am very happy to see more autumn flowering daffodils,and I wonder if I asked seed .....

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #113 on: November 26, 2012, 07:32:33 PM »
Greetings from Turkey,Antalya..
I am very new for forum but fond of daffodils. In Turkey,autumn flowering narcissus is rarely seen. I only saw 'paper white' flowering before winter. We Turks mostly prefer good smelling flower for gardening.
I am very happy to see more autumn flowering daffodils,and I wonder if I asked seed .....

Welcome to the forum Ikizzeki! It is nice to have visitors from Turkey, the land of bulbs.

I will have seeds off some of my Narcissus miniature/obsoletus in a few months. If you reminds me at that time, I will send some to you. N. miniature smells good, but not as strong as paper white.
Are there growing wild bulbs in the area where you live? If yes, maybe we can swap some seeds.

Poul

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #114 on: November 26, 2012, 07:57:11 PM »
welcome Ikizzeki

you have some lovely autumn flowering narcissus in Turkey not too far from where you live.

At Kas the rocks below the helicopter landing pad are filled with Narcissus tazetta and both in the woods near Akyaka and on the hillsides near Bozburum are masses of Narcissus serotinus both in flower at this time of year.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #115 on: November 26, 2012, 11:01:47 PM »
Poul, this is most interesting for us to see, in a year when we have none of the narcissus flowering that we usually expect at this time of year .... I think you will find Ian commenting on this in tomorrow's Bulb Log.

Ther are aslo in my garden a couple bulbocodium narcissi from Mike Salmon, in bloom from Morocco. But it don't surprise me as there are also blooming in the wild in Morocco.

ikizzeki

« Reply #116 on: November 27, 2012, 09:21:45 AM »
Hello pehe,
Thanks alot..I am not good at but ı see some different crocuses flowering around my land.Also grow some imy land..But ı have never seen their seed pod. If you tell me how tos I can collect for you..

ikizzeki

« Reply #117 on: November 27, 2012, 09:31:48 AM »
Hello Tony Willis,

Thanks for advices.. Kas is very close to me .I.ll try it..Tasettas flower in early spring. Some triend promised to send bulbs from 'Karaburun'.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #118 on: November 27, 2012, 10:38:38 AM »
Hello Tony Willis,

Thanks for advices.. Kas is very close to me .I.ll try it..Tasettas flower in early spring. Some triend promised to send bulbs from 'Karaburun'.

No they flower late October early November. Picture taken 1st November 2011 at Kas
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

ikizzeki

« Reply #119 on: November 27, 2012, 10:53:23 AM »
Thanks.. I'll try to do .

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal