We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Topping for greenhouse benches  (Read 2439 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Topping for greenhouse benches
« on: September 03, 2012, 08:21:50 PM »
I use standard greenhouse staging (not plunges) the tray tops of which are about a half inch deep (12.7mm). These are filled with HortAg (expanded clay granules and all my pots of bulbs are stood on them. HortAg used to be freely available and had a particle size of (the only way I can describe it!) about the size of a small dried pea and was very light. This meant that the particles easily "meshed" and the pots were able to stand evenly on them without rocking. HortAg became very difficult to find and was eventually replaced by a similar product-Hydroleca- but with a larger particle size-about the size of a small marble, and pots didn't stand evenly and I had a number of falling over episodes (the pots, not me ;D  ).

The time has come where I need to replace all my topping and am wondering what to use. Sand is a possibility but it's heavy, particularly when wet, and prone to all kinds of weed growth. Grit is another possibility, but again it's heavy. Any solutions out there for me please?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
Re: Topping for greenhouse benches
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 08:36:31 PM »
A possibility might be sieved ash, David - light, inert and relatively cheap when available?
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Martinr

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2012, 10:07:02 PM »
I use Two Wests water matting.

brianw

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2012, 10:57:44 PM »
The closest in size would be Sophisticat Pink clay cat litter, but it is not quite so hard from my memory of Hortag.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 07:19:06 PM »
I use Two Wests water matting.

I think that might keep my bulbs too wet Martin.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 07:22:17 PM »
A possibility might be sieved ash, David - light, inert and relatively cheap when available?

Mmmm ash, interesting! Rare as rocking horse manure these days I suppose. Well at least it is in Devon and Yorkshire where we now have gas and electricity and don't need to cook outdoors. Don't worry Cliff Lancashire will catch up one of these days ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 07:23:03 PM »
The closest in size would be Sophisticat Pink clay cat litter, but it is not quite so hard from my memory of Hortag.

Thanks for that Brian, I'll check it out.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 07:29:56 PM »
Mmmm ash, interesting! Rare as rocking horse manure these days I suppose. Well at least it is in Devon and Yorkshire where we now have gas and electricity and don't need to cook outdoors. Don't worry Cliff Lancashire will catch up one of these days ;D

Aye up lad, thou knows I mean 'industrial' or furnace ash, which southerners and t'others still use in abundance.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 07:34:37 PM »
Aye up lad, thou knows I mean 'industrial' or furnace ash, which southerners and t'others still use in abundance.
Really? There are industries in the UK which still produce furnace ash? Praise be.... I thought they were all  gone long ago - the country may yet survive!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Martinr

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 08:46:20 PM »
I think that might keep my bulbs too wet Martin.

That depends how much water you add :o

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal