We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Alliums in fall  (Read 3830 times)

zephirine

• zeph's garden blog
Alliums in fall
« on: November 04, 2007, 06:55:31 AM »
Two lovely late-blooming alliums have made my days weeks this fall:

- Allium thunbergii 'Osawa' showed its first colours in the first week of october...
...was at its best by the third week
...and is still pretty nice these days!

- Allium callimischon ssp haemostictum has been wonderful this year too, even though it lasted "only" three weeks in october...

Do you grow any other fall-blooming alliums? I'm really fond of these, and would like to add more!
Zephirine
Between Lyon and Grenoble/France -1500 ft above sea level - USDA zone 7B

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
Re: Alliums in fall
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 09:10:35 AM »
One can never have too many allium (don't we say that about everything?). Your Allium callimischon ssp haemostictum is particularly lovely. Are you growing it in the ground as well as in pots? And where are you?
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

zephirine

• zeph's garden blog
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 09:23:16 AM »
Well, I'm in front of my computer, Carlo ! ;D
Seriously, I'm in a small village, 450 m high, in S/E France, not very far from the Alps! I'd say USDA zone 7b.
I dared not plant A. callimischon haemostictum right in the garden yet (and will keep it in my brand new cool greenhouse this winter!).
However, it has spent two winters outoors, including a rather serious one in 2005-2006, in a fairly sheltered place under some hazelnut trees...surrounded by other containers, but not especially protected!
I plan to try to plant some of it in the ground next spring though, to test it.
Zephirine

« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 03:34:01 AM by zephirine »

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 11:01:44 AM »
Zephirine,

The Allium callimischon ssp haemostictum is amazing.  I never realised that Alliums came in colours like that, but then again I don't have much experience with Allium to be honest.  The almost picotee edge definitely makes that one to keep in mind if I ever see it around.  Beautiful!!  I've been really enjoying your pics.  Thanks for taking the time to post them for us.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

zephirine

• zeph's garden blog
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 03:38:34 AM »
Thank you, Paul! A nice compliment, since there are so many beauties in your country which make us all envious!
And you're enjoying spring, lucky you! I love autumn, but hate the shorter days, when you go to work in the dark and come back in the evening, it's night...a whole week without any gardening is just not fair! :'(
Zephirine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 04:08:22 AM »
Zephirine,

Now if you were REALLY dedicated you'd invest in a big set of floodlights so that you could garden in the dark as well!!  ;D  Of course if you DID do that then perhaps dedicated wouldn't be the right term..... maybe "majorly obsessed" would be a better one.

We have joked for a number of years in my house about how we can multi-stack the garden to fit more in.  Haven't tried setting up outside lights for gardening at night though.  ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

zephirine

• zeph's garden blog
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 01:56:25 PM »
Well....one could already find early symptoms, Paul: I did invest in light (and water, and  heater of course) in the greenhouse, and automatic infrared lights all along the pathway that joins the house to the greenhouse, lol!
A friend of mine,and a fine gardener, visited me late yesterday..you could have seen us two, arm in arm (to share the same single torch), touring around the garden to see the progress in the plantings, the new babies here and there, the new daylily test bed, and so on!!!!
I wish I never get cured, anyway!!! ;)
Zeph

Cris

• Bolbos em Flor
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 02:07:27 PM »
Zephirine, congratulations for your Alliums, specialy the last, it is realy amazing.
Now in Portugal we have the same problem with the short days, when I arrive at home it is already night and I can not see my dear plants.
It's funny, in another forum I participate my name is also Zeph.

Cris
Cris
Lisboa, Portugal

Casalima

• Not lost in translation
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 02:37:26 PM »
Welcome Zephirine! Wonderful Alliums!!

Now in Portugal we have the same problem with the short days, when I arrive at home it is already night and I can not see my dear plants.

Short days, but a bit too hot still  :o
Chloe, Ponte de Lima, North Portugal, zone 9+

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 03:21:57 PM »
Still unseasonally warm for late Autumn here in Scotland too. Haven't taken my tender plants into the greenhouse yet.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Cris

• Bolbos em Flor
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 03:25:04 PM »
You are wrigt Chloe, it seems that we are in summer durind the day and by night it is very cold.
Poor plants, they must be very confused. My Gladiolus have started growing again ::)

Cris
Lisboa, Portugal

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal